Hmm, Faerun does not have a deity of freedom?

Domi

According to Wiki's article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgo...BBnian_pantheon

Lliira is the only Faerunian deity whose portfolio includes freedom (apart from an obscure Zakharian god). Well, my problem is that the description of Lliirans just does not fit in with an image of a long-suffering freedom fighter searching for freedom, it's more of a 'party' kind of freedom....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lliira

Any ideas if any Faerunian god/dess patronises a more serious freedom? To whom rebelous slaves can call to etc?

I am not sure I like either. I think when we say Chauntlea, freedom is not the thing that jumps to mind, and Ilmater glorifies suffering, teaches to accept it, and is a god of obedience. So, neither really work for me as a good god of a rebellion (as opposite to Talos who is completely evil).

Tyr, perhaps? As in an aspect of fighting against injustice?

Tried posting a minute ago, but my antiviral software is running, and my computer barfed.

Don't know if you can rule out Ilmater. He's supposed to shoulder the suffering of others to alleviate it, not just encourage his followers to be stoic.

Don't know if you can rule out Ilmater. He's supposed to shoulder the suffering of others to alleviate it, not just encourage his followers to be stoic.

Illmater is a good choice. He tells his clergy to stand up to tyrants, and to allow no

injustice to go by unchallenged.

At first, I ruled that out, but looking at it, that might also be a possible choice. Simple revenge is sometimes considered LE behavior, but poetic justice, on the other hand, is LN, which is probably closer to what she wants.

Specialty priests of Hoar are called Doombringers. The regular worshippers don't tend to have any specific names (Hoar's religion isn't really big enough to congregate regularly.) Still, they tend to be called something along the lines of Cult of Hoar, or what have you.

As for a deity of freedom?

I agree Lliira is a tough fit. She reminds me more of the whole festival thing more. And there isn't a deity devoted to freedom itself.

Some possible considerations include:

As mentioned by others, Ilmater may work better, since he is the deity of endurance, and perseverence, and not just suffering. One of the tenets of his dogma includes "Champion the causes of the oppressed and unjustly treated."

Shaundakul, though he is more properly the god of travel and exploration.

Possibly Eldath, but very unlikely. In one of the old second edition Monster Manuals there is are several tribes of orcs who worship her...almost everyone of them have been enslaved by Thay. Passive resistance isn't exactly what you wish...

For some reason I always envision worshippers of Ilmater enjoying suffering instead of seeking to relieve the suffering of others.

I guess for me the Suffering aspect of Ilmater is always a bit overdone.

Ilmatans are taught to endure oppression, pain, and suffering when subject to it themselves and to comfort others (no matter who they are) and wherever possible relieve them from such things, certainly not to enjoy it or encourage it. You're thinking of the worshippers of Loviator, whom most Ilmatans consider to be their arch-enemies.

Ilmater glorifies suffering, teaches to accept it, and is a god of obedience.

Huh, where'd you get that from? ??? Ilmater is the god of endurance, suffering, martyrdom and perserverance; the god of obedience (as well as duty, loyalty, and paladins) is Torm.

In fact, in Faith & Avatars, it specifically says: "[ilmater] is the god of the oppressed and unjustly treated" and "[the Ilmatari] are to stand up to all tyrants, resisting in ways both great and small, and to allow no injustice to go by unchallenged".

What about Hoar? Revenge sounds well to slaves.

Not only that, but "Hoar's clergy seek out victims of injustice, hear their stories, evaluate the veracity of their accounts, and track down the perpetrators in order to inflict a fitting form of punishment or 'essential justice' as they like to think of it. No justce is too large or too small for revenge to be sought and a fitting punishment meted out. Actions of this type have caused most town watches and Tyrists to brand priests of the Doombringer as vigilantes and raised the stature of the priesthood to that of champion of the downtrodden and underdogs in the eyes of the common folk".

(Incidentally, Hoar is very much the human pantheon's equivalent to Shevarash. Not only are both of them Chaotic Neutral deities of revenge, both are being actively courted by Shar, in an attempt to persuade them to turn to evil and accept her as their superior.)

Archived