IWD Tweaks v5

CamDawg

Bug reports from grogerson so far on v5: the spiffy new icons are apparently causing crashes on vanilla IWD, but seem to be issue-free on HoW games. He's also pointed out that the 'max HP on level-up' is redundant since there's a config option for it.

Guest grogerson

Here are the results of my bug checking so far.

No problems with v1.3 (basic) or v1.4 (HoW):

Remove Helmet Animations;

Disable Portait Icons Added by Equipped Items;

Force All Dialogue to Pause;

Stores Sell Larger Stacks of Items;

Wear Multiple Protection Items (no restrictions version);

Multi-Class Grand Mastery;

Baldur's Gate II Grand Mastery;

Loosen Item Restrictions for Multi- and Dual-Class Clerics and Druids;

Unlimited Ammo Stacks;

Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks (v1.3 wolf and yeti pelts don't stack);

Unlimited Potion Stacks;

Unlimited Scroll Stacks

Unusable with v1.3:

Restore IWD Loading Screens (skipped, HoW required, v1.4 OK);

Icon Improvements (causes CTD with many items)

Add Bags of Holding (HoW required);

Bottomless Bags of Holding (HoW required)

Good in v1.3, unchecked in v1.4:

Max HP on Level-Up

Good in v1.4, unchecked in v1.3:

Gems and Potions Require Identification

I've recommended Icon Improvements be coded for "HoW Required".

Two components conflict (Gems and Potions Require Identification, Identify All Items), so I suggest a note during installation on Gems and Potions of it's failure to work if Identify All is installed, with a similar note on Identify All. That or a skip of Identify All if the Gems and Potions component is installed.

As for Max HP on Level-Up, it does work if you haven't enabled the same function in either the config file or game options screen. And the barbarian level-up problem won't apply, since that class wasn't implemented in IWD (and it's the perfect setting for them, too).

I'll post more with the more components I check.

Cheers, thanks for all this. :)

Two components conflict (Gems and Potions Require Identification, Identify All Items), so I suggest a note during installation on Gems and Potions of it's failure to work if Identify All is installed, with a similar note on Identify All. That or a skip of Identify All if the Gems and Potions component is installed.

This is one of those completely sensible suggestions that, once you hear it, makes you say 'Well, duh, of course. Why didn't I think of that?'

Guest grogerson
Cheers, thanks for all this. :)

This is one of those completely sensible suggestions that, once you hear it, makes you say 'Well, duh, of course. Why didn't I think of that?'

Imagine how I felt after installing both and wondering why... :love:

Guest grogerson

No problems with v1.3 or v1.4:

Max HP on Level-Up;

Gems and Potions Require Identification;

Identify All Items

Good in v1.4, unavailable in v1.3:

Bottomless Bags (for potion cases, scroll cases and gem bags anyway)

Good in v1.4, unchecked in v1.3:

Easy Spell Learning (no spell cap);

Druids Use 3E Alilgnment Restrictions

Problems:

1. I may have a problem with No Traps or Locks. I found no locks in the Easthaven inn, but the cabinet in Hrothgar's house and the door to the scrimshandler shop remained locked. I don't think there are any traps in Easthaven to check for, so I can't be certain of this one.

2. Would you check the scroll SCRL1D (Clairvoyance)? I could cast it, but not write it into the spell book.

Guess it's time to move out of Easthaven and check out the combat-related tweaks (the cheat console does have some limits...).

Guest grogerson

It's a slow day at work today, so I've read over the readme html.

Problem 1 appears to be a misunderstanding on my part. Per the readme, locked chest/cabinets/doors can be forced open by anyone. I've never used this component before so...

Some minor tweaks and recommendations for the readme:

Remove Helmet Animations

"- just like ioun stones." No such stones exist in the game, recommend removal of this comment.

Universal Clubs

"...in Icewind Dale : 'Anyone..." A space is between Dale and the colon.

Allow Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor per P&P

"In Icewind Dale , thieves..." A space is between Dale and the comma.

Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor

"for multi and dual-class mages." Recommend "multi- and"

Multi-Class Grand Mastery

I presume this is for fighter/xxx? This isn't stated, but only fighters have access to more than two points in any weapon skill. If it is for fighter/xxx, then it would be better to clarify this.

Baldur's Gate II Grand Mastery

"... which used P&P tables))" You should remove the extra close parenthesis.

Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

"Jan's Flasher Master Bruiser Mates" don't exist in the game, recommend removal of this comment.

Loosen Item Restrictions for Multi- and Dualclass Clerics and Druids

"Dualclass" should be Dual-Class in header, twice more in the description.

Higher HP on Level Up

"Maximum..." Recommend adding comment that this is already a game function, accessible from the Game Options menu, within the game itself and through the Config file.

"Note:..." Recommend removing this line since barbarians as a class weren't implemented in the game.

Ain't I a pain? :)

Guest grogerson

Bug tester update:

No problems with v1.3 or v1.4:

Weapon Animation Tweaks;

Allow Arcane Spellcasint in Armor;

Max HP Creatures;

Druids Use 3E Alignment Restrictions;

Easy Spell Learning with No Maximum Cap

Failed in both v1.3 and v1.4:

Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level

This one gave one magic missile from wand and scroll at both 1st and 9th level for my fighter/mage. If I've missed something, or there's something else I should check, let me know.

Guest grogerson

Another bug hunter update:

No problems in v1.3 or v1.4:

Two Handed Bastard Swords;

Universal Clubs;

Description Updates for Universal Clubs;

Allow Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor;

Rest Anywhere

Failed in both v1.3 and v1.4:

No Traps or Locks

Though the locks appear to be gone, not all traps are. The Vale of Shadows tomb with the carrion crawler has the floor traps removed, but Severed Hand level three still has the floor traps active. So this one can be classified as partially successful.

On to other items to look into:

Hell's Bane broad sword (ZZC8HB) is added by TotL. The description stated damage is 1d8 v. 2d4, and not usable by thieves. In NI it shows thieves can use it, but I don't know how to check the base damage. This needs to be checked.

The only shield that wouldn't go into the bag of holding is ISHLD01 (small shield +1). All other armor and shields went in with no problem.

For a little levity, would you look into SCRLZY and SCRLZZ? They can't be written to spellbook or cast without CTD (probably intentionally), but WAND99 shows the function works. Of course this is one that should be noted, as someone else stated in their fix for this in BG2, "If you install this you should be ashamed." :)

More proofreading corrections/ideas:

Maximum HP Creatures

Suggest a warning that this will make your enemies tougher by giving them more hit points. What effect this will have in Heart of Fury mode I’ve no idea...

No Traps or Locks

“Note that since the traps are gone entirely you cannot get XP by disarming them. Note also that some doors...†I don’t believe you can get XP from opening locks/disarming traps/memorizing spells in IWD. It’s more like BG1 than BG2 in this respect, so this comment is unnecessary and should simply read “Note that some doors...â€Â

Sellable Items

“The store changes will have little effect in BG2, but in Tutu games there are no stores that buy bolts.†This comment doesn't fit the game and should be removed.

Hell's Bane broad sword (ZZC8HB) is added by TotL. The description stated damage is 1d8 v. 2d4, and not usable by thieves. In NI it shows thieves can use it, but I don't know how to check the base damage. This needs to be checked.

The thief flag is correct in the patched game--keep in mind that NI flags unusuability, not usability. Damage is the listed 1d8, but I'm not sure its bonuses vs demons are working. I've noticed that, with IWD, there are a lot of protection from spell (206) opcodes with resrefs that are actually items--it makes me suspect that there's something going on which is not understood. I know there's not a lot of demons laying around the game, but could you try the sword in game against some and see if the to-hit and damage rolls are actually different?

The only shield that wouldn't go into the bag of holding is ISHLD01 (small shield +1). All other armor and shields went in with no problem.

The ifoo items are actually templates for other items, and not actually used in the game. There are some items that won't go into the BoH, but it's because they're flagged as unsellable and the engine considers the bags as stores.

For a little levity, would you look into SCRLZY and SCRLZZ? They can't be written to spellbook or cast without CTD (probably intentionally), but WAND99 shows the function works. Of course this is one that should be noted, as someone else stated in their fix for this in BG2, "If you install this you should be ashamed." :love:

These require the wyvern movie from BG, which is probably why you're getting the crash. And no, I won't add it. :)

Bug reports from grogerson so far on v5: the spiffy new icons are apparently causing crashes on vanilla IWD, but seem to be issue-free on HoW games.
BAM compression? Remember, there is no Mac port of HoW or TotL, so any Mac version needs to work with plain IWD.
Bug reports from grogerson so far on v5: the spiffy new icons are apparently causing crashes on vanilla IWD, but seem to be issue-free on HoW games.
BAM compression? Remember, there is no Mac port of HoW or TotL, so any Mac version needs to work with plain IWD.

Decompressed BAMs caused crashes on HoW, too, so they're all compressed.

Guest Guest

The thief flag is correct in the patched game--keep in mind that NI flags unusuability, not usability. Damage is the listed 1d8, but I'm not sure its bonuses vs demons are working. I've noticed that, with IWD, there are a lot of protection from spell (206) opcodes with resrefs that are actually items--it makes me suspect that there's something going on which is not understood. I know there's not a lot of demons laying around the game, but could you try the sword in game against some and see if the to-hit and damage rolls are actually different?

As I said, it's a TotL item which, at present, is not installed. I'm also using the latest NI beta. In the usability section it shows only cleric, cleric/mage, mage and druid not able to use it. This is simply a description error. As for the basic damage, I'm not sure where to look to check that. This could be another description error, or actually coded to long sword damage in error.

The ifoo items are actually templates for other items, and not actually used in the game. There are some items that won't go into the BoH, but it's because they're flagged as unsellable and the engine considers the bags as stores.

Interesting to know. I'll keep this in mind.

For a little levity, would you look into SCRLZY and SCRLZZ? They can't be written to spellbook or cast without CTD (probably intentionally), but WAND99 shows the function works. Of course this is one that should be noted, as someone else stated in their fix for this in BG2, "If you install this you should be ashamed." :love:

These require the wyvern movie from BG, which is probably why you're getting the crash. And no, I won't add it. :)

Too bad... Oh,well. At least the wand works, even if the scrolls don't.

Guest grogerson

Oops. :) Last post was mine.

And I do have a TotL install on my PC. Patched with the old version and Tioma's bags.

Not all ixxxx## items are marked unsellable, if this is the case, since I know of some of these items that will go in, such as ISHLD03.

Guest grogerson

One more bug hunter update - Synopsis:

v1.3 v1.4 Cosmetic Changes

Y Y Remove Helmet Animations

Y Y Weapon Animation Tweaks

X Y Restore IWD Loading Screens (Requires Heart of Winter)

Y Y Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items

N Y Icon Improvements

Y Y Force All Dialogue to Pause

Content Changes

X Y Add Bags of Holding (Requires Heart of Winter)

Y Y Stores Sell Larger Stacks of Items

Y Y Gems and Potions Require Identification

Rule Changes

Y Y Two-Handed Bastard Swords

Y Y Universal Clubs

Y Y Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component (Requires Universal Clubs)

Y Y Allow Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor per P&P

Y Y Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor

Y Y Wear Multiple Protection Items (PnP Restrictions or No Restrictions)

N N Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level

Y Y Multi-Class Grand Mastery

Y Y Baldur's Gate II Grand Mastery

U U Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

Y Y Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table

Y Y Alter Mage Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

Y Y Alter Bard Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

Y Y Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

U U Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression

Y Y Druids Use 3e Alignment Restrictions

Y Y Loosen Item Restrictions for Multi- and Dual-Class Clerics and Druids

Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats

Y Y Higher HP on Level Up (Max HP or NWN Style)

Y Y Maximum HP Creatures

Y Y Identify All Items

Y Y Easy Spell Learning - (100% Learning or 100% Learn with No Spell Cap)

X Y Bottomless Bags of Holding (Requires Heart of Winter)

U U Change Store Prices - Low Reputation Discount

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 100%

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 80% Discount

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 60% Discount

Y Y Unlimited Ammo Stacks

Y Y Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks

Y Y Unlimited Potion Stacks

Y Y Unlimited Scroll Stacks

N N No Traps or Locks

Y Y Rest Anywhere

N N Sellable Items

Y - Working

N - Not Working

U - Untested

X - Unavailable

Problems encountered:

Icon Improvements - caused CTD's in v1.3, no problems in v1.4.

Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level - froze both wand and scroll casting of magic missile to one missile in both v1.3 and v1.4.

No Traps or Locks - Locks are gone, but not all traps in both v1.3 and v1.4.

Sellable Items - Only slings and staves appear to be sellable in both v1.3 and v1.4.

Other notes:

Wear Multiple Protection Items (PnP Restrictions) - ring of greater resistance (uring5a) can't be used with any other protection items, and no option for changing its abilities like other rings. You might want to check the greater ring of the warrior (uring2a) for the same problem.

RNDTRES.2DA - In the HoW table, the RND9### lines have SW2H10 in them, a non-existant item like S1-10 was before. Wouldn't it be better to just remove these non-existant codes? Also, on the SH_SSWD line, can you add SHSSWRD which was removed?

Hell's Bane Broad Sword - I checked further into this item in NI. The (zzc8hb) description calls it a broad sword, and NI detects it as such, but it's coded for long sword damage (1d8 instead of 2d4). Either the description or damage and description needs to be changed, as well as the thief unusability description.

I hope this helps.

Archived