IWD Tweaks v5

CamDawg

Hey have you gotten the gem stacking corrected?

I just read through this thing and wish that it had been available when I did play the game.

Just some things I remember, but don't know if you've gotten to them.

1) they guy in the opening town (Easthaven I think) who's son you end up rescuing at the bridge. He has a line that doesn't make sense when you talk to him after you have rescued his son and rescued the caravan. The PC says something about a certain person (they found a letter or something in the cave) and the guy's response isn't correct. It doesn't make sense. Don't remember what the correct string is, but I do know that the correct string was also located within his dlg file. I had a fix for it, but I had to remove the IWD stuff to make room for the EasyTutu stuff.

2) I created an unlimited stacking mod and it worked in IWD for ALL stackable items. It's located in my ABStak Mod It's a little out of date, as I've done some internal updating. But it should work. Shoot Cam, you can even use it. Just put it first, so that the other unlimited options will bypass if they choose to install mine. There is a stack limit in IWD it's half the size of BG1. But the 9999 limit from bg2 tweaks is well under IWD's limit.

3) If I wasn't working on the bg1 fixpack, I'd offer to push EasyTutu off my pc and help do some beta testing with the plain vanilla IWD.

NOTE: the AB has nothing to do with Auril Bane. I checked at Black Wyrm Lair to see if anyone had registered AB for mod use. No one had ,so I grabbed it. But it wasn't till later I found out about Auril Bane and the use of AB there....

Guest Guest
1) they guy in the opening town (Easthaven I think) who's son you end up rescuing at the bridge. He has a line that doesn't make sense when you talk to him after you have rescued his son and rescued the caravan. The PC says something about a certain person (they found a letter or something in the cave) and the guy's response isn't correct.

I looked at the dialog of both Damien (the son) and Gaspar (the father) in NI (AR1005). There's things there I've never seen before, probably because my paladin does most of the talking. As for the letter from Ilmus Gallaway, is the proper response about re-negotiating the contract since the first caravan didn't make it? I've never seen this in play, and only just saw it in NI...

2) I created an unlimited stacking mod and it worked in IWD for ALL stackable items.

Thanks for the offer. The current component in the new beta works fine for jewelry (rings and necklaces), potions, scrolls and missile weapons. Gems won't go past 20. And winter wolf and yeti pelts won't stack in a basic IWD install, though they do in a HoW install. Will yours also stack the pelts, or not?

Guest grogerson

QUOTE(plainab @ Jun 19 2007, 04:31 PM)

1) they guy in the opening town (Easthaven I think) who's son you end up rescuing at the bridge. He has a line that doesn't make sense when you talk to him after you have rescued his son and rescued the caravan. The PC says something about a certain person (they found a letter or something in the cave) and the guy's response isn't correct.

I took a closer look at DGASPAR.DLG in NI, after starting a new game. I see what you mean. Asked if Gaspar had any new information, the conversation jumps to the caravan contract. The dialog appears to jump states 2, 4 and 6, each of which has a response asking if he knows Ilmus Gallaway. Thanks for noticing this, plainab.

Looks like maybe Camdawg is dealing with RL at this time. I haven't seen him post in a while, but I'm sure he'll post when he's got the time.

Guest Roboghost

I've been diving into the files myself -- I was tired of getting no item on a couple of the random treasures, so here are some findings I spotted playing with the random 2DA files:

DE6TRES is the first Dragon Eye L5 random treasure chest and there was a typo on ZZZ6BC -- they had ZZZ3BC. This gives a blank when it hits on the dice.

WT3TRES is the random treasure on Kerish and there was a typo on LONGCLEV -- they had LONGCLE. I'm guessing it would have bugged if they fixed it though due to the characters bumping together. It can be fixed by deleting the LONGCLE or - better - by adding another +4 item in its place.

SH_SSWD had only two random items in the Hand (L2), so I took it upon myself that they probably meant to add the Short Sword of the Hand (SHSSWRD) to make for three random short sword possibilities.

Next, I was wondering about the two duplicate sets of random treasures in IWD and HoW.

IWD:

UD6TRES was meant to go into the Hall of Heroes in Dorn (AR6006), but they put another UD5TRES instead -- why? They didn't actually create the UD6TRES item! I copied UD5TRES as UD6TRES and replaced it in the Hall of Heroes random treasure spot. Note that UD6TRES contains two +3 bows! Very, very evil of them.

HoW:

There are TWO random files that should have been placed in the HoW areas:

EXTRES1 and EXTRES3 -- these contain those new HoW items that I always wondered about. I've added EXTRES1 to AR9400 (a crypt on Burial Isle with only gold -- my guess it probably should have gone there since it contains barbarian type items: a belt, boots, or a helm.) Finally, EXTERS3 to replace EXTRES4 at the Sea of Moving Ice (AR9601) (this eliminates the duplicate random treasure there with a couple of HoW staves.) Note that EXTRES4 is first found in the Barbarian Camp containing the cloak or armor random items.

I'm also updating some of the stores with other "could never find or buy" items. An example is the Great Halberd +4 -- I replaced the plain halberd with this baby in the Temple of Waukeen. The idea is that we collect a ton of gold, but the stores are barren of expensive goods to purchase. This is the general consensus I get from reading a ton of past posts.

Note that some of the items are probably over powered for a normal game, so I can see why they may have gotten lazy on purpose for this reason, but when you play a HoF mode game -- these items barely help at that. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a genius programmer change the random item tables based on the difficulty level selected...?

I looked at the dialog of both Damien (the son) and Gaspar (the father) in NI (AR1005). There's things there I've never seen before, probably because my paladin does most of the talking. As for the letter from Ilmus Gallaway, is the proper response about re-negotiating the contract since the first caravan didn't make it? I've never seen this in play, and only just saw it in NI...

2) I created an unlimited stacking mod and it worked in IWD for ALL stackable items.

Thanks for the offer. The current component in the new beta works fine for jewelry (rings and necklaces), potions, scrolls and missile weapons. Gems won't go past 20. And winter wolf and yeti pelts won't stack in a basic IWD install, though they do in a HoW install. Will yours also stack the pelts, or not?

My stackables mod is a bit interactive, but if you choose to modify all items at one time then any item currently with a stack greater than 1 will be modified to whatever amount you specified when you were asked. So if pelts don't stack at all, then they won't stack at all with my mod either. But that could be changed and an option for it put within this tweak pack that's being discussed.

Maybe an option that could be carried over to the BG2 Tweaks as well. An option that'll skip files not present and do those that are. Items like yeti pelts, wyrven heads, wolf pelts and others could all be made stackable if they are present.

Guest grogerson
I've been diving into the files myself -- I was tired of getting no item on a couple of the random treasures, so here are some findings I spotted playing with the random 2DA files:

DE6TRES is the first Dragon Eye L5 random treasure chest and there was a typo on ZZZ6BC -- they had ZZZ3BC. This gives a blank when it hits on the dice.

WT3TRES is the random treasure on Kerish and there was a typo on LONGCLEV -- they had LONGCLE. I'm guessing it would have bugged if they fixed it though due to the characters bumping together. It can be fixed by deleting the LONGCLE or - better - by adding another +4 item in its place.

SH_SSWD had only two random items in the Hand (L2), so I took it upon myself that they probably meant to add the Short Sword of the Hand (SHSSWRD) to make for three random short sword possibilities.

The Bone Cleaver two-handed sword and Long Cleaver halberd codes are fixed by the new tweak pack. I asked about the Short Sword of the Hand (also a bad code in IWD) being fixed and restored to HoW, but that's up to Camdawg and he seems reluctant. I'm suprised you said nothing about the RND9xxx lines having damage code S1-10 as items (which are also being changed to SW2H01 - two handed swords).

Next, I was wondering about the two duplicate sets of random treasures in IWD and HoW.

IWD:

UD6TRES was meant to go into the Hall of Heroes in Dorn (AR6006), but they put another UD5TRES instead -- why? They didn't actually create the UD6TRES item! I copied UD5TRES as UD6TRES and replaced it in the Hall of Heroes random treasure spot. Note that UD6TRES contains two +3 bows! Very, very evil of them.

HoW:

EXTRES1 and EXTRES3 -- these contain those new HoW items that I always wondered about. I've added EXTRES1 to AR9400 (a crypt on Burial Isle with only gold -- my guess it probably should have gone there since it contains barbarian type items: a belt, boots, or a helm.) Finally, EXTERS3 to replace EXTRES4 at the Sea of Moving Ice (AR9601) (this eliminates the duplicate random treasure there with a couple of HoW staves.) Note that EXTRES4 is first found in the Barbarian Camp containing the cloak or armor random items.

I'm also updating some of the stores with other "could never find or buy" items. An example is the Great Halberd +4 -- I replaced the plain halberd with this baby in the Temple of Waukeen. The idea is that we collect a ton of gold, but the stores are barren of expensive goods to purchase. This is the general consensus I get from reading a ton of past posts.

Note that some of the items are probably over powered for a normal game, so I can see why they may have gotten lazy on purpose for this reason, but when you play a HoF mode game -- these items barely help at that. I was wondering if it would be possible to have a genius programmer change the random item tables based on the difficulty level selected...?

I suspect these are random treasures they failed to implement - unfinished business, if you will. Several random treasures are listed in the RNDTRES.2da but have no entries in the game and some have no xxxx.itm files. These are ASKELP4, DE5TRES, EC1TRES, EC2TRES, EXTRES1, EXTRES3, SHT_OFF, TG4TRES, TG5TRES, TSKELP4 and UD6TRES. Several other lines were revised by HoW (all DE#TRES, LD#TRES, UD#TRES and WT#TRES, SH_SSWD, TG1TRES, TG2TRES and TG3TRES).

These probably will not be changed, but do leave something open for anyone who wishes to create a new mod for the game. Of course, you can set up the treasures any way you like for your own game, just don't expect them to be added to the tweak pack.

Anything I say, however, is subject to Camdawg's final decision, since he's the one putting the new tweak pack together. I'm just the beta tester...

Guest Roboghost

I was tackling the obvious random item goofs and mishaps, but it would be nice to get them all in line to what they were ideally intended to be from the start. That lower Burial Isle is nasty and I want my just reward for all my troubles...

I just remembered that Misery's Herald (ZZM5MH) was supposed to cast Horror 10% of the time, but it never did -- I might go have a look at this tonight to see if I can get it to do that. They mentioned this flail in the book, so it should at least be all that it is supposed to be of all items.

I remember another problem, I had ran into when I play Icewind Dale (no expansions). I don't know if anyone has ever published a fix for it or noticed it. I was using a script that had Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) and I ran into a situation that was kind of weird. In the valley of the tombs (east of Kuldahar, I believe) in one of the northern tombs just inside the door there is a room to the right in that room are some skeletons (not all come and attack as soon as you enter the tomb). After clearing that room, my fighters started attacking the wall (at bottom of screen). There were no enemy there, there was nothing there, but yet they fought. Turn off the AI and they stoped. Turn on the AI and they started again.

I looked at that area in Infinity Explorer (that one lets you see where the characters are placed on the map). There were at least two skeletons being spawned inside that lower wall. I did take the effort to move them out of the wall with a weidu patch and I had no more issues there. But alas, I have it no more since I needed drive space for EasyTutu.

Guest grogerson
I remember another problem, I had ran into when I play Icewind Dale (no expansions). I don't know if anyone has ever published a fix for it or noticed it. I was using a script that had Attack(NearestEnemyOf(Myself)) and I ran into a situation that was kind of weird. In the valley of the tombs (east of Kuldahar, I believe) in one of the northern tombs just inside the door there is a room to the right in that room are some skeletons (not all come and attack as soon as you enter the tomb). After clearing that room, my fighters started attacking the wall (at bottom of screen). There were no enemy there, there was nothing there, but yet they fought. Turn off the AI and they stoped. Turn on the AI and they started again.

I looked at that area in Infinity Explorer (that one lets you see where the characters are placed on the map). There were at least two skeletons being spawned inside that lower wall. I did take the effort to move them out of the wall with a weidu patch and I had no more issues there. But alas, I have it no more since I needed drive space for EasyTutu.

Sounds like another item for the fixes component, like Valestis in the Severed Hand. It may be a while, however. Seems RL caught up with CamDawg (he reported in on another forum here). Until then, thanks for the info.

Sounds like another item for the fixes component, like Valestis in the Severed Hand. It may be a while, however. Seems RL caught up with CamDawg (he reported in on another forum here). Until then, thanks for the info.

I'm currently working on the fixpack for BG1. However, if I can get a copy of Icewind Dale (no expansions) from the local library I'd be more than happy to take a quick break and do the fix again. If I've done it once, I should be able to do it again. But, if Cam or someone else beats me to it or has already done it they need to let me know before I duplicate anywork....

CamDawg or anyone else: So post here in this thread if you're gonna fix it. Otherwise, when I get a copy of Icewind Dale (no expansions) I'll post that I've got it and will start doing the fix.

It looks like there's been a dedicated IWD Fixpack launched over at CoM since I was last here. At this point, I'd just as soon as forward all of the fixes I've written as it makes more sense to have one source for them all, rather than conflicting projects. When I get the chance I'll forward all of the relevant stuff to the project manager over there (Redrake, IIRC). As the stuff I tackled was fairly basic (essentially error lists from NI + whatever got reported here) it's entirely possible they've already covered them.

Guest grogerson

Welcome back, Cam. Guess this means I'll have to *grumble grumble* register over there to post any more possible bug fixes on their forum *grumble grumble*.

On a lighter note, I'll give you a week or two to get caught up before bugging you about the tweak components hanging in limbo - no locks or traps in particular. I won't hold my breath, however. I don't look good with a blue complection...

- When Seth has his thieves attack, their armor has a red outline on the ground icon.

Argh. It's an issue with the new ground icons. And every time I think it's fixed, there it is again.

- Seth's thieves north of Marketh's Palace entrance are difficult to deal with because they, though hidden in shadows, are also frozen in place until you walk up to them and they have a chance to attack. I noticed this in previous games with the old Tweak Pack.

We don't change anything directly here, but it could be one of those unforeseen consequences of some random tweak.

- Dirty Llew now takes three days to make the Beetle Shield instead of ten. Looks like Nym still takes ten days to enchant it, even though he says he needs at least three.

OK, I've finally tracked down the source of confusion here. In basic IWD, Llew says it'll take 10 days (and it does), but in HoW they change his dialogue and the timer to three days. For Nym, it's the same deal--10 days in basic IWD, three days in HoW/TotL--they changed all of her lines to say three days except one. It's strref #11213 for those scoring at home. Should be a simple fix.

The caretaker of the Arboretum of the Severed Hand (AR5304) does not disappear after getting everything he needs to restore it. This only happens in a basic installation, and has been fixed by HoW. Is it possible to fix basic IWD so that he does depart?

It was harder than I thought, but yes:

// two new ending states
APPEND DVALESTI

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN CDDoSomeMore SAY @102
IF ~~ THEN REPLY @103 EXIT
 END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN CDAllDone SAY @104
IF ~~ THEN REPLY @105 DO ~DestroySelf()~ EXIT
 END

END

// false existing dialogue exits
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DVALESTI  9 ~False()~
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DVALESTI 11 ~False()~
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DVALESTI 13 ~False()~
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DVALESTI 15 ~False()~

// ..so that we can extend them with transitions to the two new ending states
EXTEND_BOTTOM DVALESTI 9
 IF ~!Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_11_Average",8131)~ GOTO CDDoSomeMore
 IF ~Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~  THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_11_Average",8131)~ GOTO CDAllDone
END

EXTEND_BOTTOM DVALESTI 11
 IF ~!Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_10_Hard",8133)~ GOTO CDDoSomeMore
 IF ~Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~  THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_10_Hard",8133)~ GOTO CDAllDone
END

EXTEND_BOTTOM DVALESTI 13
 IF ~!Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_9_Hard",8134)~ GOTO CDDoSomeMore
 IF ~Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~  THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_9_Hard",8134)~ GOTO CDAllDone
END

EXTEND_BOTTOM DVALESTI 15
 IF ~!Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~ THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_9_Hard",8137)~ GOTO CDDoSomeMore
 IF ~Global("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",3)~  THEN REPLY @106 /* ~Think nothing of it.~ */ DO ~AddXpVar("Level_9_Hard",8137)~ GOTO CDAllDone
END

// add the transition actions to increment the tracking global for completion
ADD_TRANS_ACTION DVALESTI BEGIN 8 END BEGIN 2 3 4 5 END ~IncrementGlobal("Arbor_Total","GLOBAL",1)~

Looking at the Reputati.2da the only way to change reputation is to kill an innocent. So I thought about donating to a temple to increase reputation. I copied the temple information from BG so that donating would allow an increase in reputation in-game. That done, I then found that, though NI shows donations accepted, there is no donation option in the temples (Kuldahar's anyway).

Would you look into this? This could lead to a possible tweak to open a way to increase reputation somewhere in the game.

You've already tried exactly what I would've tried. If that doesn't work, it's probably an engine difference that we can't change.

I took a closer look at DGASPAR.DLG in NI, after starting a new game. I see what you mean. Asked if Gaspar had any new information, the conversation jumps to the caravan contract. The dialog appears to jump states 2, 4 and 6, each of which has a response asking if he knows Ilmus Gallaway. Thanks for noticing this, plainab.

Cheers, yes. State 15's transition #2 is not linked properly--I'd say the best bet is to link it to state 5:

// fixes gaspar's non-sequitir
ADD_TRANS_TRIGGER DGASPAR 15 ~False()~ DO 2
EXTEND_BOTTOM DGASPAR 15
 IF ~PartyHasItem("Contract")~ THEN REPLY#446 GOTO 5
END

Already fixed.

IWD:

HoW:

These seem fairly reasonable as far as fixes go. (You can see I'm not using my ultra-anal retentive BG2 Fixpack standards for the IWD stuff. ;) ) I am curious how you know that ud6tres was 'meant to go' in ar6006.

The former is probably better handled by a dedicated item pack, and the latter is possible in a hacky workaround. Basically, you could add scripts to the containers/creatures with the items and have them swap the items if the correct difficulty level is detected.

I'm going to drop the 'No traps or locks' component. The exceptions I'll need to code has officially reached the length of my arm. ;)

Thanks for the code plainab--it looks like I'm being a bit stricter with my checks which is why it fails on the gems. Basically, the stack amount doesn't get increased if the items have actual abilities, i.e. something like a Ring of Animal Friendship is ignored by design. Looking at the gems in the game, it seems like most of them have extraneous headers which is currently fooling my code.

Archived