IWD Tweaks v5

CamDawg

Oh, heh, didn't mean to tease. Razfallow already asked about it, so hopefully he can implement it in a forthcoming restorations pack.

If you look in the unused states of dnorl.dlg and look at an alternate, unused dialogue file for Ginafae (dginafae.dlg), it appears there was originally a different path for dealing with Marketh. It appears he had a ring that allowed him to teleport all over Lower Dorn's Deep, and you would not be able to kill him while he had it. So, you had to bring the sketch of Marketh (obtained from Callard) to Nord, who fashions a copy of Marketh's ring (ringcop.itm). You then had to convince Ginafae to swap Marketh's ring with the copy, allowing you to kill him.

Well, I don't know how implementable it is. There are certainly artifacts from it--Callard still hands out the sketch of Marketh, for example--but it really goes against how they eventually rewrote Ginafae's dialogue. It may fall into that gray zone where it can't really be implemented, like the Viconia stuff for BG2 UB.

Assorted fixes has been expanded. Some of these bugs are already fixed by HoW/TotL, but are included here for players not using the expansion(s). If you don't see your favorite fix here, let me know:

• Typos in random treasure table fixed
  • Fixed sound issues with Glyph of Warding, Melf's Acid Arrow, and Strength
  • Some areas had trapped containers that were already detected
  • Some areas have area scripts, but they were not assigned
  • Fixed a squirrel lacking a script
  • Conlan no longer sells infinite quantities of the Lucky Scimitar; other stores no longer sell infinite quantities of the Fateful Coin book
  • Dialogue fixes:
    • Dirty Llew had a typo that was preventing him from starting his store; also fixed his broken Charisma checks
    • Removed broken and unnecessary attack commands from 10 dialogues
    • Fixed variable checks in Accalia's dialogue
    • Fixed dialogues for about 13 creatures not properly tracking how many times they have spoken to the party
    • Fengla the slave girl had some broken variable checks
    • Various creatures not properly checking for clerics in the party (fire giant, Brother Perdiem, Soth, Edion Caradoc)
    • Tarnelm was checking for the wrong item in some triggers
    • Seth's charisma and intelligence checks were failing
    • Mirek was not properly tracking variables, namely where the party had visited
    • Custhantos was failing to give the party an item due to a broken action
    • Ginafae and Tarnelm were failing to take items from the party due to a broken actions
    • Marchon of Waterdeep's dialogue had some broken variable checks
    • Saablic Tan was checking for the wrong item
    • Valestis and Wylfdene were failing to set variables due to typos
    • An item check for Icasaracht was failing due to a typo
    • Rikasha had several typos in his variable handling that was preventing variable setting and checking
    • Fixed broken triggers in other dialogues, even though they appear to be unused (dginafae.dlg, dwinona.dlg)

[*]Script fixes

• Cleric Aggressive player script had a broken trigger and action
    • Wizard Aggressive, Wizard Defense, and Wizard Berserk player scripts now properly cast Larloch's Minor Drain if it's available
    • Some lizard men were not turning neutral when appropriate due to script typos
    • Many, many creatures had broken checks to see if a particular creature is dead
    • Fixed broken DV reference in a trap for the Snowdrift Inn
    • Townsperson in Kuldahar was supposed to open doors, but was failing due to improper targets
    • Marketh was not using a potion of invisibility due to a typo
    • Fixed miscellaneous targeting errors in sahuagin priestesses' scripts
    • Fixed broken variable sets and checks in the scripts for blind svirfneblin, Purvis, and Ilair
    • Fixed broken check for Murdaugh in Kieran Nye's script
    • Fixed broken triggers in other scripts, even though they appear to be unused (5001ls1.bcs, 5001ls2.bcs, lwalpw1.bcs, lwalpw2.bcs, lwalpw3.bcs, lwalpw4.bcs)

[*]Creature fixes:

• Fixed two bears who had claws in their creature file, but were not assigned
    • Histachi and buff shadows had special immune items in their inventory, but unassigned
    • Shikata had an unassigned item that provides cosmetic effects
    • Yxonomei had a potion in his creature file but not assigned

[*]Item Fixes

• Fixed many, many items whose effects were failing due to bad timing modes--mainly cosmetic color effects
    • Incinerator's description now mentions its previously undocumented fire resistance bonus
    • Belhifet's weapon was not poisoning targets due to a bad timing mode
    • Bolts of lightning are supposed to play a sound while hitting, but was lacking due to a typo
    • Kresselack's Sword was not providing its cold resistance
    • Some fire elemental 'claws' and Mordenkainen's sword were not properly flagged as magical
    • When a ghoul paralyzes someone, a sound is supposed to play when it wears off, but the sound was playing way too late
    • Some items had effects which could be dispelled
    • The free action icon for the potion of freedom disappeared after 4 rounds, even though the potion (and all other effects) last for 10
    • Due to errors in Vocalize's spell scroll, it was impossible to learn the spell
    • Singing Blade of Aihonen was not playing a sound with its +3 strength ability due to a typo
    • Talon of Gloomfrost was not providing its fire and cold resistances
    • The Merry Shorthorn was not playing its happy little tune when used
    • The Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting ability of the Bracers of Icelandic Pearl was not recharging upon resting
    • Fixed errors with several items, though they appear unused (bow08, bow09, bownon, idart01)

There was also a bug reported that improved invisibility was not providing its +4 save bonus. AFAIK, IWD works like BG2 in that the bonus is hardcoded into the improved invisibility opcode and does not need to be explicitly added (in other words there's no bug here).

I don't think the save bonus is implicit, only the AC bonus.

There are a number of bugs with the prisoners in the first and second levels of that place you go to after that other place -- the dialogue was supposed to update at various points, but the variable checks for killing those clerics of Talona are wonky. I think this also caused stink in Kuldahar (something was supposed to update after freeing that important lady, but is BROEK).

IIRC, there's this thing that might not work completely correctly afterward; make sure you look into that thing.

I don't remember the level name; something about a dragon, with all the prisoners from Kuldahar and the super mom of Ilmater from the temple in the tree.

Yeah, I actually knew exactly what you were talking about--it's the prisoners in Dragon's Eye, with all the lizardmen and Talonites about. NI flagged a lot of DV errors there, though I wrote them off as the standard "NI doesn't understand that actor names are DVs in IWD" variety. I'll take another look. ;)

It's with the first and second death variables (the actual death variables; they should show up in my NI) for the Talonites, I think (or there was another bug involving them too). The dialogues were checking the wrong variable (I think it was an erroneous plural or something).

I can't remember, but it's possible the priestess was actually supposed to show up in Kuldahar (seeing as how you rescued her and stuff), or it could have just been that the acting priestess actually acknowledges the fact that she's been undisappeared. I don't know if it was a different variable issue or if it was tied into the same (the whole prisoners sequence is craptastically broken in plain IWD).

I can't remember, but it's possible the priestess was actually supposed to show up in Kuldahar (seeing as how you rescued her and stuff), or it could have just been that the acting priestess actually acknowledges the fact that she's been undisappeared. I don't know if it was a different variable issue or if it was tied into the same (the whole prisoners sequence is craptastically broken in plain IWD).

This one is easy at least--Sister Calliana was checking for exactly 4 Talonites dead, whereas Mother Egenia was using > 9 dead Talonites as a trigger for her rescue. Calliana should now acknowledge Egenia's return, though it doesn't appear that Egenia is supposed to be available anywhere in Kuldahar.

And yes, found and fixed some other errors with the captive villagers. On the second level of Dragon's Eye, two dialogues (used by all of them except Sheemsh) were checking the wrong variable (Talonites_dead instead of Talonite_dead). Also fixed a possible 'no valid links' bug with the little girl on the first level who gives you XP for saving them.

Guest grogerson

Wow, Cam, You're boggling my mind with your work!!! ;) Thanks bunches for these fixes.

I always wondered about Mother Egenia, pity she doesn't reappear in Kuldahar since Arundel isn't around by that time.

There were a couple other items I wondered about, but it's been a while since I last played the game. I've forgotten them now...

If you need a beta tester... ;)

If you need a beta tester... ;)

It's more or less done, I'm just annoying the translators at this point. ;) I'll try and get you a testing package by the end of the day. Email me at webmaster@gibberlings3.net.

Finally ran the DS on the creatures... a few more fixes, though these shouldn't affect anything in the game:

• lots of gender/sex fixes
  • Bandoth, Oswald, drow spellcasters, and others had miscoded parameters for their known spells
  • Several mages (Orrick, Presio's apprentice, Varglaan, etc.) were wearing robes in their cloak slot (a BG2 classic)

These should actually make a difference:

• Malavon has a special ring that grants some goodies (AC bonus, mirror image, etc.) in his inventory, but it was not equipped--this will make his fight tougher
  • Some sahuagin had armor that they weren't wearing
  • Alpheus was not wearing his ring that grants him haste effects
  • Icasaracht's Soul Gem was not wearing its item that makes it immune to nonsensical effects, like panic
  • Beornen and Angaar had shields in their armor slot, and their armor unused in their inventory
  • Murdaugh, Xactile, and miscellaneous sahuagin had weapons available but unselected or unassigned, so they would punch the party
  • Many TotL creatures were supposed to be immune to normal (e.g. fiendish harpies), +1 (e.g. infernal harpies), or even +2 (jackal clan leader) weapons, but weren't since the item that grants immunity was unassigned

I feel so much better about some mangled CRE files in one of Gavin's alphas that had potions in his helmet slot.

Although, IIRC, when I found the error, all I could think of were those ridiculous hats you can get at football games that have two cup-holders and a straw attached.

Archived