IWD Tweaks v5

CamDawg

2. Would you check the scroll SCRL1D (Clairvoyance)? I could cast it, but not write it into the spell book.

This item (and spell) isn't used in the game.

Wear Multiple Protection Items (PnP Restrictions) - ring of greater resistance (uring5a) can't be used with any other protection items, and no option for changing its abilities like other rings. You might want to check the greater ring of the warrior (uring2a) for the same problem.

Nice catch! I missed a couple of others as well--Greater Ring of the Warrior and Ring of the Protector +2.

RNDTRES.2DA - In the HoW table, the RND9### lines have SW2H10 in them, a non-existant item like S1-10 was before. Wouldn't it be better to just remove these non-existant codes?

Whoops, that's a typo. I wanted to add generic 2H swords (sw2h01) here--s1-10 is shorthand for a monster attack item that does 1d10 slashing damage, so I thought a substitution would be better here.

Also, on the SH_SSWD line, can you add SHSSWRD which was removed?

This appears to be an intentional dev change from base IWD to HoW. In base IWD, the reference is corrected from shswrd to shsswrd.

Hell's Bane Broad Sword - I checked further into this item in NI. The (zzc8hb) description calls it a broad sword, and NI detects it as such, but it's coded for long sword damage (1d8 instead of 2d4). Either the description or damage and description needs to be changed, as well as the thief unusability description.

In my patched TotL install, the description and item agree on usability (no thieves) and damage (1d8). Unless there's a mismatch between the described abilities and actual abilities, these appear to be correct and intentional.

Guest grogerson

With almost everything happening underground, there's really little use for the Clairvoyance spell. I can live with that.

Glad to be of help with those rings as well.

Typo, huh? I've no room to criticize. Most of my work is typing, so I understand that all too well... :)

The problem with SHSSWRD is that we're both assuming why it was removed. I know it was removed with HoW, but the question is why? My original thought is they knew the code was wrong somehow but not how (even developers can miss simple things). Ah, well. I can always add it myself through NI.

As for Hell's Bane:

ZZC8HB - Hell's Bane Broad Sword (TotL)

This fine broad sword is of unusual construction. The blade is crafted from an unknown dull black metal, but the edge appears to be of the finest silver. Fiery, red runes have been etched the entire length of the blade. When examined closely, the runes writhe with a life of their own. The hilt and guard of the sword have been carved from solid ruby.

This weapon is the bane of certain lower planes creatures. Against Baatezu and Tanar'ri the sword inflicts double damage and the user gains a +4 to both hit and damage. While held, the sword also grants some protection against fire.

STATISTICS:

Damage: 1D8 (2D8 +4 vs. Baatezu and Tanar'ri)

THAC0: 0 (+4 vs. Baatezu and Tanar'ri)

Damage Type: Slashing

Resistance Bonus:

+20% Fire Resistance

Weight: 5

Speed Factor: 5

Proficiency Type: Large Swords

Type: 1-handed

Not Usable By:

Druid

Cleric

Mage

Thief

Thieves can used broad swords and the sword does 2d4 damage. Long swords do 1d8. Nothing in the item description indicates thieves are restricted, except in the unusability section. My check of the unusability field in NI showed thieves can use it. I mention this only because the inconsistancy. I'll verify this tonight with my new install of v1.42.

Also, I've started checking v1.41 and v1.42. I'm going to run a v1.3 and v1.4 game up to the start of the Vale of Shadows to check some things, then get back with you.

Ah, I think I understand the issue with Hell's Bane. From my POV, if a description and item match, I consider that to be a very good indication of intent and that there's no change to be made. If these didn't match I'd be inclined to think it's a bug, but IMO in this case it just seems the devs wanted to make it different.

The problem with SHSSWRD is that we're both assuming why it was removed. I know it was removed with HoW, but the question is why? My original thought is they knew the code was wrong somehow but not how (even developers can miss simple things). Ah, well. I can always add it myself through NI.

True, but many entries disappear with HoW installed. I don't think there's any particular reason to believe that this one specifically is an error.

Guest grogerson

Sorry about not having any updates. Seems my v1.3 install corrupted, probably because of all the uninstalling/reinstalling of the tweak pack. So I uninstalled the game and reinstalled everything. I've copies of v1.3, 1.4, 1.41 and 1.42 on my PC.

I've just finished running v1.3 and 1.4 through to the start of the Vale of Shadows with no problems. I can also say Max HP on Level Up (don't have to hunt down the option in the game options now) and Druids Use Cleric XP and Spell Tables work fine.

Now it's on to testing v1.41 and 1.42.

Hi, I have a quick question.

CamDawg, did you happen to change the inventory icon of the Pale Justice? If so, I suggest changing it back--if you read the (rather lengthy) lore of the sword, you'll see that its Plain-Jane looks are very much intentional, and changing it to anything else would ruin the back-story of the sword.

I noticed a few normal-looking long swords in the comparison chart you posted, so I figured I might as well ask.

CamDawg, did you happen to change the inventory icon of the Pale Justice? If so, I suggest changing it back--if you read the (rather lengthy) lore of the sword, you'll see that its Plain-Jane looks are very much intentional, and changing it to anything else would ruin the back-story of the sword.

Heh, whoops. I've currently got the icon from Albruin +1 assigned to Pale Justice; I hadn't read the description about its appearance. On that big fat image of icons, it's on the fourth row from the bottom, second icon from the right--one up and left from Kaylessa's gloves, to give you a non-sword reference point. I'd still like a different icon just so it won't look like a normal sword, but I'll definitely get something a lot plainer. I'll wait for my muse to inspire me. :)

Guest grogerson

Well, it's been a busy weekend for me.

v1.41 v1.42 Cosmetic Changes

Y Y Remove Helmet Animations

Y Y Weapon Animation Tweaks

Y Y Restore IWD Loading Screens (Requires Heart of Winter)

Y Y Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items

Y Y Icon Improvements

Y Y Force All Dialogue to Pause

Content Changes

Y U Add Bags of Holding (Requires Heart of Winter)

Y Y Stores Sell Larger Stacks of Items

Y Y Gems and Potions Require Identification

Rule Changes

Y Y Two-Handed Bastard Swords

Y Y Universal Clubs

Y Y Description Updates for Universal Clubs Component (Requires Universal Clubs)

Y Y Allow Stealth and Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor per P&P

Y Y Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Armor

Y Y Wear Multiple Protection Items (PnP Restrictions or No Restrictions)

N N Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level

Y Y Multi-Class Grand Mastery

Y Y Baldur's Gate II Grand Mastery

Y Y Change Magically Created Weapons to Zero Weight

Y Y Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table

Y Y Alter Mage Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

Y Y Alter Bard Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

Y Y Alter Cleric Spell Progression Table (Unnerfed or PnP)

Y Y Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression

Y Y Druids Use 3e Alignment Restrictions

Y Y Loosen Item Restrictions for Multi- and Dual-Class Clerics and Druids

Convenience Tweaks and/or Cheats

Y U/Y Higher HP on Level Up (Max HP or NWN Style)

Y U Maximum HP Creatures

Y U Identify All Items

Y U Easy Spell Learning - (100% Learning or 100% Learn with No Spell Cap)

Y U Bottomless Bags of Holding (Requires Heart of Winter)

U U Change Store Prices - Low Reputation Discount

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 100%

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 80% Discount

U U Change Store Prices - Fixed 60% Discount

Y U Unlimited Ammo Stacks

Y U Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks

Y U Unlimited Potion Stacks

Y U Unlimited Scroll Stacks

N U No Traps or Locks

Y U Rest Anywhere

N U Sellable Items

Y - Working

N - Not Working

U - Untested

X - Unavailable

Problems encountered:

Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks: amulets and rings stack to 9,999, but rings stack only to 20.

Two Handed Bastard Swords: functionality works fine, but locks all bastard swords to 1gp to buy or sell, whether mundane or magical. They also don't stack in the bag of holding. Resting doesn't help, either.

No Traps or Locks: **Game Breaker** This makes access to level three of Kresselack's Tomb (AR3503) impossible. It moves the transfer point from AR5302 out of the bounding box of the door into the wall behind the door. This door may need to be exempted from this component.

So far, the problems from v1.3 and v1.4 still continue in v1.41 and v1.42.

Good point, Salivator. I agree. That's also why Pale Justice sells for 1gp.

Cam, maybe just a color change for Pale Justice's icon to a blue or red tint, much like the high quality swords, is the way to go. It keeps its basic image with something to distinguish it in the simplest way.

Finally, am I the only one checking the tweaks right now, or are there others? I'd be more comfortable if there were others to verify my findings, as well as they having someone to verify theirs.

Guest grogerson

I've finally finished my checks of the new tweak pack components as far as I can go without playing the game fully.

Again, the list of problems encountered are:

Icon Improvements caused CTDs in basic IWD. According to the HoW manual, they made several modifications to the game engine with the add-on, which may explain this problem.

Two Handed Bastard Swords locks all bastard swords at 1gp (buy or sell) and they won't stack in a bag of holding as other items do.

Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level locks both the wand of magic missiles and spell scroll of magic missile to one missile only. On this one I'm assuming the effect will be the same for other items and scrolls as well.

Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks only allows gems to stack to 20, not 9,999.

No Traps or Locks causes a game-breaking problem in Kresselack's Tomb, denying access to the third level.

Sellable Items works only for staves and slings.

Change Store Prices was not checked.

The problems encountered (except Icon Improvements) occur in all four variations of the game, v1.3 (basic IWD), v1.4 (HoW), v1.41 (patched HoW) and v1.42 (Trials of the Luremaster).

Any patches for the above you want me to check, Cam?

If not, it's time for me to play through and see if and where any other problems occur.

Guest grogerson

I've made it through Kresselack's Tomb. All traps and locks are gone with one exception, and this one creates a game-breaker.

The door to Kresselack's Tomb level three is operated by a lever. The lever won't operate if the party doesn't have the Black Wolf Talisman. If the No Traps or Locks is targeting the door instead of the lever, this may be the cause of the problem.

I'll continue through the game and note any doors, locks or traps still in operation, as well as any problems like the Tomb this cheat may be creating.

Unlimited Jewelry and Gem Stacks: amulets and rings stack to 9,999, but rings stack only to 20.

Specific rings, or all of them?

Two Handed Bastard Swords: functionality works fine, but locks all bastard swords to 1gp to buy or sell, whether mundane or magical. They also don't stack in the bag of holding. Resting doesn't help, either.

That's fairly game-breaking. This should probably be dropped then.

No Traps or Locks: **Game Breaker** This makes access to level three of Kresselack's Tomb (AR3503) impossible. It moves the transfer point from AR5302 out of the bounding box of the door into the wall behind the door. This door may need to be exempted from this component.

I'll look into it and see if there can be a better algorithm that avoids this. Otherwise we might have to drop it as well.

Finally, am I the only one checking the tweaks right now, or are there others? I'd be more comfortable if there were others to verify my findings, as well as they having someone to verify theirs.

Yeah, just you. I played with a version of it (not all components), updated it, and that's the beta you have. No other volunteers. :)

Cast Spells from Scrolls (and Other Items) at Character Level locks both the wand of magic missiles and spell scroll of magic missile to one missile only. On this one I'm assuming the effect will be the same for other items and scrolls as well.

OK, it appears this opcode doesn't work as it does in BG2. We'll need to drop this as well.

Thanks for all this!

Guest grogerson

Yeah, just you. I played with a version of it (not all components), updated it, and that's the beta you have. No other volunteers. :)

More's the pity. IWD may not have the role play of BG/BG2/PST, but it still has a good story and wonderful graphics and music. And one beta-tester does limit the input and fix ideas, especially when he knows nothing about programming...

Specific rings, or all of them?

Shame on me putting rings at 9,999 and 20 (and you for not catching me). It's actually gems, and yes, it's all of them. They do stack properly in the gem bag, however. Rings, necklaces and amulets are fine. Still, stacking to 20 is far better than not stacking at all, so if necessary note this in the read-me if gems can't be fixed to 9,999.

I'll look into it and see if there can be a better algorithm that avoids this. Otherwise we might have to drop it as well.

Or an exception made for this one, as was done for a special book in Identify All Items for SoS. Again, this is another item I personally wouldn't use.

I've made it through Dragon's Eye level three with no other problems encountered. I want to get through Severed Hand in play at the very least. My use of "MoveToArea" may have missed something that will disable the traps I found still active there. (Note to self: redo Kresselack's tomb without keys...)

That's fairly game-breaking. This should probably be dropped then.

I don't know about game-breaking since it doesn't stop game progression, but it is a very obvious problem. I wouldn't use it anyway, so losing it doesn't bother me.

OK, it appears this opcode doesn't work as it does in BG2. We'll need to drop this as well.

Thanks for all this!

Your'e welcome. Let me know if you have any revised tweaks you want me to test. And I'll advise you of any more problems I find with locks or doors. :)

Thanks for all this!

Ah, hell, I didn't know you were looking, Cam. I'd be happy to test it out, too.
Guest grogerson

Thanks, Drew.

With all the irons Cam has in the fire here it might be good if you PM him.

I don't know how he feels about your volunteering, but I'd appreciate another set of eyes to verify my findings. "On the testemony of two or three witnesses..." as the Good Book says... :)

Hell yeah, I'll take another tester. :) For consistency I'll send you the same version I sent grogerson (and not my local copy with the fixes since then).

edit: Except the slight problem that I'm getting bounces from your listed email address. Could you email me instead at webmaster@gibberlings3.net?

Archived