Silliness, but help a fellow out...

cmorgan

Appreciating PS:T requires getting past the inital "oh, so I'm a mummified Rastafarian in a Fred Flinstone toga, now?" shock. I think it's worth the effort.

And dreadful writing. And heavy-handedness. And three hundred other flaws.

Yes a fellow PST disliker. The game was a bore. I didn't get very far and said the hell with this.

K2 could have been one of those great games if LA didn't stick their nose in it and told Obsidian to move faster. $$ talks I guess since they wanted it done before Christmas.

On the other hand, I would call PS:T by far the best game I've ever played. The soundtrack and voicing was beautiful, the story appealed to me, the writing is the best in any game I've ever played, the stats actually mattered, the plot unfolded slowly but in a way that kept me addicted to learning more, and there was very little of the tactical combaty stuff that bores me (I play strategy games for that, not rpgs). I would recommend PS:T (and my second favorite game, The Longest Journey) to anyone- you may not like it, no, but I think they say a lot about what games can be and do. There are very few books that inspired the same level of emotion from me as them, and I think that's part of what makes them so beloved by me. :)

As for KOTOR2- if Team Gizka comes up with the restoration patch (soon, please, soon!) then hopefully the game'll be completable. As it is now, I stop before the final planet. The game's not *bad* as it is, but... it lacks. A lot.

(However, I'm a little nervous because the same company that did KOTOR 2 did NWN2, so I'm afraid that the ending is going to be less than satisfying)

The shockingly poor ending of KotOR 2 is the fault of the publisher, not the developer. LucasArts set a deadline for the game to be released, and wouldn't let Osidian delay it when they got behind schedule. Okay, you might say that Osidian were at fault for taking longer than they were supposed to, but making computer games is an inexact science; just like writing a book, some days you'll be inspired and get a tonne of work of done, and other days you'll temporarily lose interest, get writer's block, or run into some other impediment.

Literally 9/10 computer games end up getting delayed, and some of the more prominent developers (e.g. ID Software and Epic Megagames) simply say a game will be out "when it's done". Publishers have money to make, however, so most developers don't have this luxury. That said, probably the only publisher who are as draconian as LucasArts in regards to release dates is Electronic Arts; most others are more lenient. NWN2 is of course published by Atari, who seem relatively understanding of the problems developers experience whilst creating computer games.

OK, wicked good - I came to the right place!

#1, PM cirerrek (The Scottish Arms, St. Louis, for Manly Man Haggis and expensive Scotch to wash it down. St. Louis isn't that far away, so if I get an ed conference down your way, I'll buy the Haggis and Scotch - least I can do for years of enjoyment of NPC scripts that work!)

#2 non CRPG: Miloch, our tastes do run similarly, so I don't know how I skipped over Kohan: Immortal Sovereigns - I must have been deep in my Civ II addiction and escaping to X2 - the Threat at the time. Good idea. As far as Civfanatic and Apolyton know, I dropped off the face of the earch awhile ago - I got addicted for awhile, same as you - I got into the DYP and some extra stuff, and the resulting time made me decide to skip Civ IV all together. Otherwise I would go all Ted Kazinsky playing in a small shack somewhere in Montana :)

Medieval: Total War I, II are good candidates for replacement of RTW after I have finally experienced it on a system where I can ahve more than the medium unit size. I want to march my Legions down the Nile! I am trying to keep away from the new Europa Universalis, as I have become happier with the little figures moving around doing (sort of) my bidding,.

#3 The Big New Thing (CRPG) so far sounds like there are solid ones to recommend, but there are more recommendations for older games with mods in this thread than ther are Oblivion vs NWN2 - perhaps I am best placing myself behind the curve again, and running older games on a fast new rig (I did thios with building VMs and running the X-COM games, but got tired of it. Now there is DOSBox and all sorts of cool new things out, perhaps that would be back to possibility.)

Morrowind ('cause Nythrun modded it, and that's darned good enough for me)

KOTOR 1, good; 2 wait for the mods

NWN HoTU (modded); NWN II (I assume modded) - but with Rasheman, I should wait until Domi starts modding it, so I can have m'love Dynaheir with me for all time...

strong feelings on PS:T - either Love or Hate;

?Dragon Age?

Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodline (I am not into gore and blood, but great characters are great characters)

so many choices!

Vampire: Bloodlines for the writing, the characters, the mood.

Arcanum for the stylish world.

Kotor is good. HK-47 *chuckle*...

Silent Storm, for allowing me to free-style perforate a building with bullets and having it look the part afterwards - and introducing some memorable characters.

(off-topic) UFO: Extraterrestrials simply because it is a lovingly made x-com clone.

[off topic] Is that the fan-made remake of the X-Com series? I didn't know that they ahd gotten a working game there yet; if so, I should go look at least for old-times sake[/off topic]

Guest erik
[off topic] Is that the fan-made remake of the X-Com series? I didn't know that they ahd gotten a working game there yet; if so, I should go look at least for old-times sake[/off topic]

No, commercial release. 20 Euro over here, once it gets from the storehouses to the stores. And it's not vaporware, reviews have started trickling in.

http://www.ufo-extraterrestrials.com/

(Made by a few Czech programmers around my age ... so you could call it fan-made in one sense... :) )

Heh, after so logically deciding that I am not going to get JE, because it's so not my game, what do I do? I see a used copy on sale and buy it. (Sigh.) One more to add in the line-up after NWN2 and KOTOR2, lol!!!

I am finding that out - too many games, too little time...

The good news is, a new gaming rig now means no need to upgrade for years and years to come. It will be 10 years before I have exhausted the possibilities of current games :)

OK, wicked good - I came to the right place!

#1, PM cirerrek (The Scottish Arms, St. Louis, for Manly Man Haggis and expensive Scotch to wash it down. St. Louis isn't that far away, so if I get an ed conference down your way, I'll buy the Haggis and Scotch - least I can do for years of enjoyment of NPC scripts that work!)

Any time, cmorgan.

In terms of games which might be coming out, one to keep your eyes peeled for is Bioshock, the "spiritual successor" to the System Shock games and also made by the same group.

The System Shock games were first person shooters, basically, but had lots of scope for tricky and interesting things, like computer hacking, item creation and getting others to do your killing for you, and they had interesting plots to keep you moving.

Archived