What's needed for creating enemy NPCs?

ericp07

Hello,

Part of the mod I'm developing will call for a quest involving a villain and his assistants, so I'd like to know if my mind is on the right track in how to create them, and how to best set it up in terms of files to add to the mod.

I'm guessing that I'll need to create a .cre for the villain, an evil cleric, and one for each of his assistants. If possible, the assistants should include lycanthropes, fallen rangers, and evil druids (can we make evil druids?). I think I'll need to create a new weapon for the cleric, and I already have the particulars for it (not powerful, but a signature weapon for followers of his patron deity). Do I need anything more besides the .cre and .itm files, and a bit of scripting? any .d files or others? Are there existing portions of mods that would be best for me to examine as a guide to creating this?

The master villain should be "intelligent" enough to seek to escape combat if he's clearly going to die, so he can heal up and surprise the party again later. The enemy group should have a random chance of appearing and attacking the party in any outdoor wilderness area. I was even thinking of involving such enemies in the Windspear Hills encounter between the gnolls and lycanthropes, but that's not required...although it would be a perfect way to introduce these enemies, and perhaps be the place where my NPC first appears and asks the party for help.

Any thoughts, advice, etc. will be most welcome :)

Thanks,

Eric

If they start hostile, no .D is needed iirc, a soundset and CRE and ITM files should do. At least for the henchpeople.

The main villian would want some dialogue. But it really isn't what I am good at, so I cannot talk about it.

Scripts give enemies their intelligence.

Icen

It's always good to look at existing mods to see how the code is implemented. Many NPC mods introduce a few new characters with their own quests, so you can pretty much just grab a random one from the modlist. Just try to get one that's somewhat new and up to date on the coding.

You create enemies the same way you create your own NPC, either by making a new character from scratch or by copying and editing one that already exists with a program like DLTCEP or Near Infinity. For example the DRUID10A .cre is a 10th level lawful evil human druid, so it might be a good place to start. You can have any kind of combination, evil druids, non-lawful/good paladins or whatever.

For scripts, the simplest way is to use one that alerady exists (MAGE12B, PRIES10A, etc). Otherwise you should look at mods that deal with AI changes and see what they do and try to adapt from there. You should probably NOT make any fights that are hugely more difficult than the ones already in the game, though, that's not why people download NPC mods.

It's always good to look at existing mods to see how the code is implemented. Many NPC mods introduce a few new characters with their own quests, so you can pretty much just grab a random one from the modlist. Just try to get one that's somewhat new and up to date on the coding.

You create enemies the same way you create your own NPC, either by making a new character from scratch or by copying and editing one that already exists with a program like DLTCEP or Near Infinity. For example the DRUID10A .cre is a 10th level lawful evil human druid, so it might be a good place to start. You can have any kind of combination, evil druids, non-lawful/good paladins or whatever.

For scripts, the simplest way is to use one that alerady exists (MAGE12B, PRIES10A, etc). Otherwise you should look at mods that deal with AI changes and see what they do and try to adapt from there. You should probably NOT make any fights that are hugely more difficult than the ones already in the game, though, that's not why people download NPC mods.

I'll do some digging, and see what I can find. Thanks!

I don't intend for the encounters to be overwhelming. Some might be very small, simple fights, maybe a couple minor scrapes that lead to larger, more involved situations, thus building a story. The mod as a whole, though, is much more about the character than about the encounters.

Happy modding,

Eric

In 2nd edition, druids have to be true neutral. Even Shadow Druids like Faldorn.

Of course, this has not prevented me from writing a tweak that allows a PC to become a druid by 3rd edition rules, i.e. any alignment with the word "neutral" in it, solely for use in my own games, but I wouldn't advocate writing illegal characters in a mod intended for distribution.

Ordinarily, I'd say "but no one will ever see it!" but this isn't true, as evil druids will light up like christmas trees if a detect evil spell is cast.

In 2nd edition, druids have to be true neutral. Even Shadow Druids like Faldorn.

Of course, this has not prevented me from writing a tweak that allows a PC to become a druid by 3rd edition rules, i.e. any alignment with the word "neutral" in it, solely for use in my own games, but I wouldn't advocate writing illegal characters in a mod intended for distribution.

Ordinarily, I'd say "but no one will ever see it!" but this isn't true, as evil druids will light up like christmas trees if a detect evil spell is cast.

Perhaps a way around this is to say that any involved druids are still true neutral, but feel they're serving to maintain balance from their perspective in siding with the villain. Or said villain may be influencing them in some way. They may or may not be of the Shadow Circle. I hadn't considered that...

I also wouldn't want to break rules for this purpose.

Thanks,

Eric

I also wouldn't want to break rules for this purpose.
This is one of the places where the rules are so incredibly stupid that I'd encourage you to just break away.

I'd like keeping "any alignment with the word neutral" (as berelinde says) for legacy reasons, but the idea that a druid can't be neutral evil or chaotic neutral or lawful neutral because... because... (why don't you try to come up with a reason for it? I sure can't) is just dumb.

Yeah, I always thought it was a stupid rule, which is why one of the first things I did when I learned how to patch 2da was to write one that would enable me to create druids of NG, LN, TN, CN, or NE alignment.

But when it comes to the sheer incomprehensibility of D&D rules, nothing beats the 1E rule that said that clerics could be any alignment except TN, and if they wanted to be TN, they had to be druids. :)

But when it comes to the sheer incomprehensibility of D&D rules, nothing beats the 1E rule that said that clerics could be any alignment except TN, and if they wanted to be TN, they had to be druids. :)

How about the 2nd Edition rule that says Elves can be Fighters, or Thieves, or Mages, or even all three at the same time, yet they cannot be Bards?

Actually, this might be a good reason to use the generic scripts where possible... that way, the creatures get the same AI upgrades that vanilla-game creatures do. (AI mods like SCS upgrade the generic scripts).

Realistically the BG2 combat system is uncontrollable enough that you'll need to cheat to keep your villain alive long enough to run away. The usual way is to give him an item like "minhp1" which prevents him dying, and then add a script block that teleports him away or tells him to run when he gets to one hit point.

Cheating, I don't exactly call it cheating, because many Bioware creations cheat, then.

Think about;

Chez Irenicus Imoen

SpellHold Irenicus

Half the ogres in the 1st pocketplane trial (yes, CTRL-M them)

Bodhi

Bodhi again

Bodhi's henchman, idk the name, begins with L iirc

Mellisan

Mellisan again (2nd pool)

Actually, I shall give you a nice reference of the CRE files with minhps on them, shall I?

I like DLTCEP :)

MINHP01

------------

C6ELVEN2

Found item MINHP1 at position #0 (slot:4-L.Ring)

C6ELVENW

VVARKAN

Found item minhp1 at position #1 (slot:6-Amulet)

UDLESA

Found item minhp1 at position #1 (slot:5-R.Ring)

GNOLLHP1

ELETRO02

Found item MINHP1 at position #2 (slot:6-Amulet)

PPDRADEE

JADERMIN

Found item MINHP1 at position #2 (slot:4-L.Ring)

ARNTRA01

ARNTRA02

Found item MINHP1 at position #0 (slot:6-Amulet)

JAERTOF

Found item MINHP1 at position #1 (slot:6-Amulet)

VAMPBAT

Found item minhp1 at position #0 (slot:6-Amulet)

AMMONK01

Found item minhp1 at position #0 (slot:4-L.Ring)

AMMONK07

AMMONK08

ADSHAR

Nonstandard order.

LAVOK01

Found item MINHP1 at position #1 (slot:5-R.Ring)

LAVOK02

SUELLE2

HELLPRID

PPBHAAL

C6BMIST

AMELM01

Found item minhp1 at position #6 (slot:7-Belt)

BODHIAMB

Found item minhp1 at position #3 (slot:6-Amulet)

FINSOL01

JATERMIN

Found item minhp1 at position #6 (slot:7-Belt)

HLKANG

SAHIMP03

Found item minhp1 at position #2 (slot:6-Amulet)

SAHIMP04

SAHIMP05

SAHIMP06

SAHIMP07

SUELHAN

Found item minhp1 at position #2 (slot:4-L.Ring)

TANOMIST

BODHI2

Found item MINHP1 at position #3 (slot:6-Amulet)

HGNYA01

SOLAR01

FANGEL01

OBSGOL01

KPTROL01

Found item MINHP1 at position #5 (slot:21-Inventory 1)

KPTROL02

KPTROL04

KPTROL05

WARSAGE

RIFTCR04

HLSKULL

TROLGI01

C6BODHI

Found item MINHP1 at position #4 (slot:7-Belt)

ELEARB01

ELEARB02

ELEARB03

ELEARB04

ELEARB05

ELEARB06

ELEARB07

ELEARB08

ELEARB09

ELEARB10

ELEARB11

PPDEMON

BODHI

HLSION

HELLFEAR

HLKETTA2

SKELHP1

HELLGREE

VALEMIST

SARVIE01

Found item minhp1 at position #4 (slot:6-Amulet)

LOVEONE5

Found item minhp1 at position #1 (slot:4-L.Ring)

SWORD02

Found item minhp1 at position #0 (slot:5-R.Ring)

SWORD03

PPBODHI3

TRAX

DACEMIST

C6GOD

Found item MINHP1 at position #1 (slot:4-L.Ring)

SUJON

DRSHLO01

DEMOARCH

DAABOL

HGTRL01

Found item MINHP1 at position #4 (slot:21-Inventory 1)

ADANG25

Nonstandard order.

BOUNHA

WISH01

WISH02

DEMOCLER

DELMIST

GARKID01

GARKID02

BRUS2

VIEKANG

Found item minhp1 at position #4 (slot:6-Amulet)

ADANGEL

Nonstandard order.

HLKETTA

PPTIAX

C6ELHAN

Found item minhp1 at position #2 (slot:4-L.Ring)

ELEPUZ01

ELEPUZ02

ELEPUZ03

ELEPUZ04

IGOLEM01

SHAAVA01

SOLAR

ADFOX

SUAVATAR

PPGUY01

PPIRENI1

PPIRENI2

Found item minhp1 at position #0 (slot:5-R.Ring)

HELLSELF

Noone seems to like MINHP20 and MINHP60 :D

Icen

Sawara's fox in Angelo NPC is among the most hardened cheaters in the game, yes. Watch your trousers.

Seriously, I don't know how it is for you, but for me, an NPC mod author, coding quests sucks. It is exhausting, mundane, it requires extensive testing, and it's not half as fun as writing dialogue(unless you're writing it for an Iron Modder challenge). So I'd leave it for the end, when the NPC itself is complete.

Archived