Mod install order for Baldur's Gate II - Beware of Mod overkill inside

Jazhara7

Okay, now that I have installed Baldur's Gate Tutu and several mods, thanks to the help of Miloch (thank you again! :D ), I am trying to tackle Baldur's Gate II. Problem is, when browsing through the mod list, I tend to end up with more mods than I can sort myself while still being sure they're not going to make my computer implode when installed in that combination - My computer's brand new, so that would be a bit of a pity. :)

I've sorted them by type and origin to the best of my knowledge below, however I am not sure if all of them are in the correct section, so I'd be happy if someone could tell me if I put something in the wrong place.

Also, I'd like to know if there's some mods that just shouldn't be installed together due to compatibility issuees, or for the simple reason that it would be redundant to install them due to another mod having the same content already.

There's a whole long list of mods that I wasn't sure where to put, because they seem to have properties of several sections. They are listed under "Not Sure". They're mostly better known ones, like "Ascension", so I am sure people will have little problems helping me with that.

Also, another more difficult issue is that I seem to have some mods that are supposed to be WeiDU mods, and by all appearances they are...except that they seem to be lacking an EXE file of any kind. Help would be appreciated.

MODS I WANT TO INSTALL:

1 - Non-WeiDU mods:

2 - NPC Mods:

Black Wyrm Lair

- Sheena V6

- Wikaede R v4-1

Chosen of Mystra

- Cassius v102

- Kari v1-3b

- Miriam 102

- Moddie V1

- Ninafer V102

- Skooter the NPC

- Undying 102

G3

- Amber v2.5

- Angelo v3

- Auren v6.2

- Kivan v8

PPG

- Alassa NPC v1

- Bons Bruce v2

- Britt

- Bruce (Compton)

- Ghareth NPC

- Goo v2

- Hessa NPC v1-1

- Keto SOA v2

- Tiax v1

- Xan v7

RPG Dungeon

- Allison V16

- Kitanya SoA v6-22

SHS

- Hubelpot v1.0beta

- Tashia Remix v1.1

- Yikari V1.1

- Chloe v12

- Fade SoA v3

- iylos v2.3

- Beyond the Law v1.35

- Luxley SoA v1_1

- Nathaniel v4_2

Weimer

- Weimer_Solaufein Mod v103

Other

- Biddekelorak v1

- Saerileth v13

- Tsujatha v10

- Yasraena v8

- Jandor (WeiDU version) V6

3 - Banter/Flirt packs:

PPG

- Banter Packs V8

- NPC Flirt Pack v102

RPGDungeon

- Solaufein Flirt Pack V1

SHS

- Edwin Romance SoA v107

- Edwin Romance ToB v107

- Edwin flirts v0.1b

- IEP Expanded Banters v2

- Viconia Friendship v1

4 - Quest mods:

Black Wyrm Lair

- Tower of Deception v3.1

- Tortured Souls v611

Chosen of Mystra

- Dark Ritual v101

- Desecration of Souls v2.5

G3

- Every Man and Dog v3

- G3 Anniversary v5

- Shards of Ice v3

PPG

- Assassinations v2

- Ding0 QuestPack v23

- Dungeon Crawl v4

- Unfinished Business v16

SHS

- Ajocs MiniMod (WeiDU version) v16

- Check the Bodies v1.9

- Fading Promises V1

- The Slithering Menace/Snakes on a [Pocket] Plane v3_1

- The Holy Hand Grenade v1.0

- Mordan's Xmas Mod v1.0 (WeiDU)

- The Bigg Quest Pack v2.02

5 - Tweaks:

Black Wyrm Lair

- Baldurdash v166 (WeiDU)

- BGII Improvements Mod

- Herbs and Potions Add-in for Baldur's Gate 2 v1.0.3

- Ribalds Genie v2.7

Chosen of Mystra

- BGII Subrace v1.0

(OR) >>>>WHICH ONE IS PREFERRABLE?

- Subrace pack (COM)

- Chosen of Mystra's Food and Herbal Mod Version 1.01

G3

- A Mod For The Orderly v1

- BG2 Fixpack v6

- BG2 Tweaks v6

- Improved Horns of Valhalla v1.2

- Moinesse Avatars v2

- NPC Tweak v3.1

- NPC Kit v2

- Oversight v12

- PnPCelestials v5

- Sequencer Memory v1.2

- Song and Silence v3

- Spell Revisions v1.5

- Sword and Fist v3

PPG

- Ashes of Embers v27

- CAL-Culator v1.0.4

- Ding0 Tweak v20

- Six's Kitpack v1

- Zyraen's Miscellaneous v2

RPG Dungeon

- Abysima's Items V3 (The Unusual Oddities Shop)

- Selune Armoury v1

- SP Items Pack

SHS

- One Pixel Productions v2

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Flame Swords

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Flame Short Swords for Baldur's Gate II

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Paperdolls

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Legacy Shields - Bucklers

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Legacy Shields - Small Shields

--> One Pixel Productions v3: Colourable Quarterstaves

- Exnem Vault Items v5 (WeiDU version)

- Retrospection - New Imoen Dialogue for TOB v2

- KR's Difficult Brown Dragon v1.3

- Lucy the Wyvern v1

- Mazzy the Paladin

- Old Mods Pack v1

- P5Tweaks v1.1

- Planar Sphere Mod v2.6c

- Planar Sphere Return v2 (WeiDU)

- BG 2 Refinements v3.11

- Rupert the Dye Merchant v1.0

- The Bigg Tweak pack v2.01

- TOB Heads v1.1

Sorcerer's Place

- The Improved Volcano! Pack v1.8

- Boards of Magick Item Pack

Team BG

- iiItem Mod v5

- iiTweak Mod v8

- Learn Through Use v1

- Projectile Retrieval mod v8

Weimer

- Ease-of-Use v3.2

- Item Upgrade v3.7

- Weimer Spell 50 v6

- Underrepresented Items v5

Other

- b!Tweak v2

- Freedoms's Reign/Reign of Virtue (Mod pack)

- MixMod v5

- Planart Teleporter v1.01

- Revised Forgotten Wars Item Pack v1.0

- MOD Rolles v2

- Rogue Rebalancing v3.91

- Ruad v20

- Item Value Tweaks

- Slightly Improved Ilyich v1.5

- Teleport Spell

- Wildmage Additions v1.6

6 - Divine Remix & Virtue:

- Divine Remix

22 - ALWAYS LAST:

- Crossmod BG2 v7

- Widescreen Mod v1

IronModder:

- All of them (1-10)

Soundsets:

- Cespenar Audio V1

- Driel Soundset

- Eldoth

- Erin Soundset

- Innocent

- Jasper Soundset

- Red

- Saemon

- SHS Soundsets

- Skie

- Syndrana

Not Sure:

Chosen of Mystra

- Homeward Bound V2

G3

- eSeries v1.8

- gMinion v1.8

- Romantic Encounters v3

- Geomantic Sorcerer v3

- SPCollection v7

- Totemic Cernd v2

PPG

- Turnip Golem V1

- Turnabout V1

SHS

- Semi-Multi-Mod 0.2.2

- Mortis MiniMod v23

- Shadows of Amn Item Import Mod v2

- Redemption v1.2

- The Longer Road v1.5

Weimer

- Ascension

PPG

- Assassinations

Other

- Expanded Thief Stronghold (by Gebhardt Blucher)

NEED EXE FILE:

G3

- Sarah NPC

SHS

- The Tortured Soul Quest v3 (WeiDU)

- Blood of the Martyr WeiDU v4

- cbisson's Familiar Pack WeiDU v5

- Demon Summon Ritual WeiDU v4

- FairyDragon WeiDU v4

- Heart of the Wood WeiDU v5

- Pickpocket Option

Soooo, and advice/tips/Oh-my-god-*DON'TDOTHIS*?

- :):p:):devil:??? ??? ???

You should have read the documentation from here. As there is even a pack of fixes that you get most of them to work together...

5 - Tweaks:

That's actually a fixpack.

Now you can start the installation poscedure with one of the none WeiDu

mods as you can actually have only one.

Then get some of the overwriting WeiDU mods... Then install the BG2 Fixpack v6, Baldurdash v166...

BG2 Tweaks v6

Ease-of-Use v3.2

No, Oh-my-devil-*DON'TDOTHIS* As they are the_almost_same_thing but G3BG2Tweaks is just better.
You should have read the documentation from here. As there is even a pack of fixes that you get most of them to work together...

5 - Tweaks:

That's actually a fixpack.

Now you can start the installation poscedure with one of the none WeiDu

mods as you can actually have only one.

Then get some of the overwriting WeiDU mods... Then install the BG2 Fixpack v6, Baldurdash v166...

BG2 Tweaks v6

Ease-of-Use v3.2

No, Oh-my-devil-*DON'TDOTHIS* As they are the_almost_same_thing but G3BG2Tweaks is just better.

Ah, yes, the BiG World project...It's been making pretty eyes at me for a time already, but I still a bit scared of it. Also, I just finished installing BG 1 Tutu, and don't want to unmake all that. Also, I don't know if my old files from my old computer would still be compatible if I installed Baldur's Gate II that way now. I still want to play my old savegames, you see. :D I think I'll wait until it's developed further, before I'll install it.

Or did you mean I should use the PDF as guide for installing my mods, without using the BiG World mod itself?

Still, thank you. And thank you for the other advices.

Also, something I forgot to ask: Is there any particular order for certain mods I should remember? Is this general mod type order alright for the install(if yes, where do Fixpacks fit in?), or should I install them in a different order? And where do the Ironmodder mods fit in? :)

I think I might abandon some of the ones listed under "Tweaks". There's just too many. The quest and NPC mods however I want to keep.

(Also, isn't is blasphemous or...something...if you swear by yourself, Jarno? :D )

- :p:):devil:??? ??? ???:)

Or did you mean I should use the PDF as guide for installing my mods, without using the BiG World mod itself?

Yes, just use it as a guide. A lot of knowledge and effort went into developing that install order, and ensuring it continues to work--take advanatage of that wisdom.

Also, I just finished installing BG 1 Tutu, and don't want to unmake all that... Or did you mean I should use the PDF as guide for installing my mods, without using the BiG World mod itself?
Somewhere in the PDF, there should be a line that says, that if you aren't going to go with the BGT+it's mods, you can skip them and continue with the others. :)

Is there any particular order for certain mods I should remember?
Yes, the order is very specific... so it's good that we have the Big World Project. :devil:

And it's fixpack here.

PS, if you read German more, there is also deutsch.pdf .doh.gif

Also about the Big World Project, you might want to first go with the black text minus the BGT and it's mods, as the grayed out are for people that really know what they do, which incidentally have the Ironmodder mods... IF you might want to have a bug free game.

Ah, yes, the BiG World project...It's been making pretty eyes at me for a time already, but I still a bit scared of it.
Heh, judging from your mod list above, you might be well on your way there. In fact, you may have surpassed BWP already :). But it will make your life easier if you follow it. (And EasyTutu should be separate from anything else, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.)
- BGII Subrace v1.0

- Subrace pack (COM)

There's a thread or two on this somewhere (maybe here) but frankly, I forget which (never played either).
SP Items Pack
Please get the SP Collection from here instead, at least the for the Creslyn's Item Pack component (same items, but do not overwrite existing resources). I see this is further down your list, so you may just want to skip SP Items.
Mazzy the Paladin
Please do not install this (I think tb#tweaks or another one of bigg's mods will uninstall it anyway if detected).
Please get the v2 of this from further down the same link (fewer bugs hopefully).
- iiItem Mod v5
Consider putting this earlier, if you don't want to wait forever while it adds items to all the other mod resources above it on your list.
IronModder:

- All of them (1-10)

Reconsider the nature of these mods if you want a stable install (as jarno says).
- Redemption v1.2

- The Longer Road v1.5

I think you can have only one of these, not both (LR seems to be the preferred one).
Weimer

- Ascension

Put this earlier, possibly before even the Fixpack (as it overwrites files).

I'll let others with more experience than me advise about install order. I'll offer some comments about huge installs, though, FWIW:

One of the things I'm finding with a lot of mods installed is that if you encounter a gameplay problem and have to

uninstall a mod component because you don't like it

reinstall a mod component because of buggy behavior

later install yet another mod, mod component, or patch you overlooked

all the mods get uninstalled and reinstalled in the process, and it takes a really long time. Plus you see messages that look vaguely worrisome like "installed with warning" apparently because a file is missing (maybe overwritten by something else?) or "not installed due to error" (also because of an overwritten file?). When you check the WeiDu log they're installed, but it gives me a nagging feeling that something important could possibly have been overwritten that might make a component act buggy.

Also, while there is definitely a convenience factor with BGT, so far in my experience using the Tutu and BG2 mod platforms separately does seem more stable. It's no trouble to simply export the PC after the BG1Tutu final battle and import the character file into BG2. On the other hand, if I'm understanding correctly BGT is required to play the mega-mods, though.

Mazzy the Paladin
Please do not install this (I think tb#tweaks or another one of bigg's mods will uninstall it anyway if detected).

Don't I love having things put in my mouth code?

That being said, you still shouldn't install it because it sucks and it's buggy.

Thanks for the help, everyone. And for your patience with this here Loony. ;)

Still, some more questions

Also, I just finished installing BG 1 Tutu, and don't want to unmake all that... Or did you mean I should use the PDF as guide for installing my mods, without using the BiG World mod itself?
Somewhere in the PDF, there should be a line that says, that if you aren't going to go with the BGT+it's mods, you can skip them and continue with the others. :)

Ah, in that case, thank you very much Mister Devilly Jarno, Sir. ^_^

Is there any particular order for certain mods I should remember?
Yes, the order is very specific... so it's good that we have the Big World Project. :D

And it's fixpack here.

PS, if you read German more, there is also deutsch.pdf .doh.gif

Ah, I must have missed that. The problem isn't so much lack of understanding of the English language (It's like a second mother tongue to me. I was better than some English classmates in English, too. :p ), but more the combination of the late time of the day (*AND* the fact I had woken at 5 o'clock in the morning that day), as well as me having problems reading things on-screen (I have tend to do the same thing when I'm correcting texts. I print them out, correct them on paper, then type in the corrections into the doc file. Yes, it's extra work, but it helps to preserve what little Sanity I possess.). I've printed it out now (I won't be lacking scratch paper for some time after this, I think... :devil: ), which will help me comprehend what's written in it better.

(By the way, a good indicator of how well I will understand anything I read at any time is by looking at my diction and orthography. Words like "Diction" or "Orthography" wouldn't come readily to my mind were I to be tired at this time. However, fully rested and awake, they do. But simple grammar mistakes or forgetting of words show that I am tired too. Re-reading my reply from yesterday really made me flinch at the mistakes I make.

When hearing me speak, just listen to my pronounciation. If I start speaking with a scottish accent while speaking English, I am tired. Don't ask me why, but that always happens when I speak English while tired. O.o )

Ah, yes, the BiG World project...It's been making pretty eyes at me for a time already, but I still a bit scared of it.
Heh, judging from your mod list above, you might be well on your way there. In fact, you may have surpassed BWP already :D. But it will make your life easier if you follow it. (And EasyTutu should be separate from anything else, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.)

- BGII Subrace v1.0

- Subrace pack (COM)

There's a thread or two on this somewhere (maybe here) but frankly, I forget which (never played either).

Hmmm, I guess I can live without it. Maybe I'll try it out another time.

SP Items Pack
Please get the SP Collection from here instead, at least the for the Creslyn's Item Pack component (same items, but do not overwrite existing resources). I see this is further down your list, so you may just want to skip SP Items.

Off the list it goes. I admit the number of "Sorcerer's Place Collection" and similarly named mods did confuse me a bit. :O

Mazzy the Paladin

*crosses it off the list*

Please get the v2 of this from further down the same link (fewer bugs hopefully).

Done and done.

- iiItem Mod v5
Consider putting this earlier, if you don't want to wait forever while it adds items to all the other mod resources above it on your list.

Will do.

Also about the Big World Project, you might want to first go with the black text minus the BGT and it's mods, as the grayed out are for people that really know what they do, which incidentally have the Ironmodder mods... IF you might want to have a bug free game.
IronModder:

- All of them (1-10)

Reconsider the nature of these mods if you want a stable install (as jarno says).

Oh well, I guess they are out then. I'd contemplated installing these mods for a few years (Yes, yes I am *that* patient. :p ) now, and do so every time I reinstall the game. But I admit, even just looking into the rar files and the stucture and sorting of the whole file gave the impression they are really far from refined. A pity, as a little sillyness is always welcome with me, but oh well. ???

- Redemption v1.2

- The Longer Road v1.5

I think you can have only one of these, not both (LR seems to be the preferred one).

Hmmm...on my previous install, from which I want to still use my characters (if not savegames, most likely. Though that would be great, I realise that with me installing mods I previously didn't have, that might be a bad idea. It's not *that* big of a loss, really, considering I've lost count of how many times I've completed this game by now, that "I'll have to play back to the point where I stopped!" isn't really a relevant comment any longer. :p As long as I can still use my exported character files, I'm good.), I used "Redemption". It doesn't influence the characters files in any way if I change that (I wouldn't know how it would, but you never know), does it?

Weimer

- Ascension

Put this earlier, possibly before even the Fixpack (as it overwrites files).

It's not sorted completely yet, so no problem. My list is mostly after a post I found here on the forums, listing the order of the mod types, and I sorted the files I downloaded into that. After that I sorted them by the sites they were from. Yes, I know, very complicated again. I should have written it down while downloading, but I had thought of that too late. Anyway, the order *within* the categories is mostly alpahbetical, so they're not yet sorted in installing order. Beyond the categories, that is. Okay, so Ascension earlier.

One last thing, though. What about the files I am missing EXE files for? They are WeiDU, as far as I can tell, and one of them even tells me to download WeiDU and re-name the exe appropriately. Is that correct? And if yes, I assume I'll get the newest version of WeiDU at Wesley Weimer's site, right?

- ??? ??? :) :) :p:D :D

One last thing, though. What about the files I am missing EXE files for? They are WeiDU, as far as I can tell, and one of them even tells me to download WeiDU and re-name the exe appropriately. Is that correct? And if yes, I assume I'll get the newest version of WeiDU at Wesley Weimer's site, right?
Well, the WeiDU.exe is used as the installer for all the WeiDU-mods... It just needs to be renamed as setup-modname.exe .

So if the G3bgIIfixpack, wouldn't have an exe file, (it does have) but still had a file named Setup-bg2fixpack.tp2 , you just would have to make the exe by copying the latest(from some other mod or from the WeiDU.rar) and renaming it to Setup-bg2fixpack.exe . The same proses actually corrects the auto patching errors, so it's good to know...

Mazzy the Paladin

Don't I love having things put in my mouth code?
Oh, well I guess this doesn't uninstall the whole mod but just one component of it (why stop there though):

BEGIN @1000  //natural beauty
DESIGNATED 100

UNINSTALL "setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2" 3

Edit: And later on there's this, so I don't know exactly what you're left with (but it could have a hundred components for all I know, since I've never installed it):

BEGIN @2000  //Imprisonment
DESIGNATED 150

UNINSTALL "setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2" 1

BEGIN @4000  //Drop Weapons in Panic
DESIGNATED 300

UNINSTALL "setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2" 2

What about the files I am missing EXE files for? They are WeiDU, as far as I can tell, and one of them even tells me to download WeiDU and re-name the exe appropriately. Is that correct? And if yes, I assume I'll get the newest version of WeiDU at Wesley Weimer's site, right?
Yes. Or you can just copy, paste and rename an existing setup-modname.exe.
Oh, well I guess this doesn't uninstall the whole mod but just one component of it (why stop there though):

BEGIN @1000  //natural beauty
DESIGNATED 100

UNINSTALL "setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2" 3

Oh. What happens there is that all my junk (tb#tweaks, tb#quest, mtp) was shipped as ~setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2~. It then got split into ~setup-tb#pack.tp2~ and ~setup-ztb#pack.tp2~. Later again, it got split into ~mtp.tp2~, ~tb#tweaks.tp2~ etc.

So, setup-mazzythepaladin.tp2 component 3 is just an older version of Nat Beauty (the actual mtp was component 0).

Archived