Question to correct spelling (English)

jastey

Is the following correct?

"To dissolve an engagement" (in the meaning "to end an engagement")

"I hold it for the best" (in the meaning of "I think it is best")

"Speak your mind" (in the meaning of tell what you think)

Which words would be capitalized when (I am especially referring to "god", "paladin" and "knight") in the following examples?

"Ajantis, you believe in your god and in your Order most reverently..."

"Looking at me again, are you, Sir Knight?"

"Go to your precious Order and be a brave paladin, (...)"

"I'm a paladin and therefore bound in honor!"

"You disobeyed all too often, paladin, and this was the last time!"

"Why are you "noble" paladins always interfering?!"

EDIT: One more. Is it "at the Sword Coast" or "in the Sword Coast"?

Thank you for your answers.

I think it's 'break' an engagement, and I think that hold is used more in the ideoms like 'hold something true' or 'hold someone to something'. "I think it best to do something" sounds better to me.

I agree with your capitalization.

Heh, usually, when I am in doubt, I substitute with a simpler, more straighforward wording.

Domi's right that "break" is more common but this wouldn't set off any ESL alarms.

It seems uncomfortable. Maybe the context makes it work better but I'd try different phrasing if "think it best" doesn't work for you.

"Speak your mind" (in the meaning of tell what you think)

Correct.

"Ajantis, you believe in your god and in your Order most reverently..."

Correct. Typically the word "god" only gets capitalized when it is being used to stand in for a proper name, as in "One true God."

"Looking at me again, are you, Sir Knight?"

I'd call this one borderline but okay, since the word "Knight" is, again, standing in for another proper noun, in the way you'd capitalize "Sir Smartypants" or whatever.

"Go to your precious Order and be a brave paladin, (...)"

"I'm a paladin and therefore bound in honor!"

Correct.

"You disobeyed all too often, paladin, and this was the last time!"

Correct, but the rhythm of the sentence is a little uncomfortable.

"Why are you "noble" paladins always interfering?!"

Correct.

EDIT: One more. Is it "at the Sword Coast" or "in the Sword Coast"?

Actually, I'd probably use "on the Sword Coast." Typically when referring to coastal activities you use "on." "At" would be acceptable. Context:

"While vacationing on the Sword Coast, I was nearly murdered by Sarevok."

"It is not uncommon for weapons to break at Sword Coast renaissance faires."

What jcompton said for the most part, except I wouldn't capitalise 'Order' either, unless you referred to the name of the order in the same sentence, for the same reason you wouldn't capitalise "knight" unless using it as a title or a proper name (such as in 'Sir Knight' I suppose).

What jcompton said for the most part, except I wouldn't capitalise 'Order' either, unless you referred to the name of the order in the same sentence, for the same reason you wouldn't capitalise "knight" unless using it as a title or a proper name (such as in 'Sir Knight' I suppose).
That's a good point, what do others say to this? It does look weird if in a sentence Order gets capitalized and god doesn't. :)

Another one: How would I write "my god Helm". Would it be "my God Helm" (god capitalized) in this case?

And how about "my god is Helm"?

Would it be "my God Helm" (god capitalized) in this case?
No, it'd always be lowercase. The only time it'd be capitalised is when the god's name is in fact 'God' (as in Christianity etc.). This is one of the big differences between English and German - German capitalises most nouns whether they be 'proper' nouns or not, whereas English rarely does.
This is one of the big differences between English and German - German capitalises most nouns whether they be 'proper' nouns or not, whereas English rarely does.
Try and guess why I have problems with this.. OK, thank you!

I think it's worth it in this case due to the ambiguity of

"Go back and consult your order."

Are we sending him back to the authorities of the Radiant Heart, or just want to make sure he got what he requested at the drive-thru?

You're right that if it was "The Church of the Radiant Heart" I wouldn't recommend capitalizing "go back and consult your church."

The only time it'd be capitalised is when the god's name is in fact 'God' (as in Christianity etc.).

But that's the thing--the Judeo-Christian deity's name isn't actually "God", it's Yahweh/Jehovah/etc. But it does end up being capitalized as a placeholder in "one true God" type cases, so it's a little tricky.

Regardless, Jastey, in both examples you gave it would be lower-case.

want to make sure he got what he requested at the drive-thru?
The thought of Ajantis in full armor driving to McD's drive through and ordering a double chicken cheese burger made my day. :)

Thank you again for your answers.

Sir_Carnifex: That's a good idea. It shows that I am not used to having an English install: since I have one now, I could have thought of this idea myself.

Archived