Revised Summons Discussion

Raiken

Say a summoning spell creates five creatures, and 3 of them die, is it worth casting the spell again, or should you wait until the other two die? This is why I don't like the cap. :D

Say a summoning spell creates five creatures, and 3 of them die, is it worth casting the spell again, or should you wait until the other two die? This is why I don't like the cap. :D

I'm not sure how strict this cap is, I have on occassion had more than 5 summons at a time in the game, even on a patched/fixpack game...anyone else verify if that is true or just me?

Monster Summoning I/II/III

Ok I'm currently working on summons and even though I may have not the time to implement the feature I'm about to suggest in V3, here's my thoughts about it. This is how these spells currently are in my internal build:

Caster's Level -- MSI -- MSII -- MSIII

5th : 2 hobgoblins

7th : 3 hobgoblins -- 2 gnolls

9th : 4 hobgoblins -- 3 gnolls -- 2 ogres

12th+ : 5 hobgoblins -- 4 gnolls -- 3 ogres

As a last improvement at 15th level I was thinking about replacing one creature with a "leader", which would be a Hobgoblin Shaman (4th level cleric), a Flind (5th level fighter with flaming halberd), and an Ogre Mage (6th level wizard with regeneration) respectively.

Does this idea please anyone? And does it seem balanced?

It seems most of you like the idea...and if I have SCS's author by my side I won't have doubts about it anymore. :p

I think it's a good idea; my only caution is that scripting allies to help the party intelligently with their spells isn't trivial.
Yeah...the scripts for the Hobgoblin Shaman and Ogre Mage won't be perfect on a first draft, perhaps you could refine them whenever you work on a SCS+SR component, else I may be able to improve my skills on AI scripts with some experience. Anyway they won't have tons of spells...speaking of which I may start to discuss that on my next post! :worship:

Will have to test the leaders in game but seems balanced. Will players be able to turn off the AI and manually cast the shaman/magi spells?
Yes, I implemented this feature back in V2. All creatures with custom scripts which has spells or spell-like abilities can be fully controlled by the player disabling their AI (ctrl+D with the cursor over them).

I like that idea. You could have them all follow the "Leader" as well.
Currently all SR's summons follow their caster, I'm not sure about adding the "follow the leader" behaviour, especially because I'm far from being a good AI coder like DavidW!

DavidW,

I can't come up with a decent spell list for the Ogre Mage. Which spells did you assigned to this creature in SCSII?

Ogre Mage's spells (4/2/2)

1° Magic Missile x2, ...

2° Horror, ...

3° Dire Charm, Lightning Bolt

For the Hobgoblin Shaman I'd use something like this:

Hobgoblin Shaman's spells (5/3)

1° Bless, Resist Fear, Cure Light Wounds x2, Sanctuary

2° Chant, Draw Upon Holy Might, Hold Person

Oh my...I just discovered something that I completely ignored.

The summoning cap works worse than I thought, it doesn't take into account if the summoned creature is effectively died, it takes into account the summoning spell's supposed duration.

E.G. If you summon 5 skeletons (which last up to 8 hours) you can't summon another one for 8 hours even if these 5 have been destroyed!!! :worship:

The summoning cap works worse than I thought, it doesn't take into account if the summoned creature is effectively died, it takes into account the summoning spell's supposed duration.
It's true for Simulacrum and Elemental Princes (though that's softcoded limit and thus isn't much relevant), but regular summons can be replaced without delay should one of them die. I've checked it just now.
It's true for Simulacrum and Elemental Princes (though that's softcoded limit and thus isn't much relevant), but regular summons can be replaced without delay should one of them die. I've checked it just now.
They can't in my tests...and I thought the problem didn't existed...which creatures are you summoning? Are them SR's ones?

Archived