Devas, Planetars and 1PP's attachable wings

Demivrgvs

I've tried it to see how it would look like and I must say that attachable wings are gorgeous. Should I replace vanilla's animation of devas/planetars with a male/female elf animation using 1PP's wings? The animation currently used is the solar's one, while the following is how they may look like if I make the change.

Deva & Fallen Deva.

devas2zi0.png

Planetars & Dark Planetar

planetars3xt9.png

Pro:

* in-game consistency (devas wield heavy maces but the animation still display a sword; and we could give fallen ones their PnP's flaming swords)

* customization, as we could decide all the colors (skin, hair, wings, robes, ...) making them more recognizeable (instead of having devas, planetars and solars look exactly the same).

Con:

* a small PnP inconsistency, as these creatures should look like more similar to humans rather than elves, and they should be slightly taller than most humans.

I'd like to hear as much opinions as possible because the change is a quite noticeable one.

I've never heard about wings, I must say, I always thought 1PP to be just paperdolls and icons.

does anyone know a way to assign them an appropriate soundset?
What do you mean? How to assign new soundset line to a creature (which is trivial) or where to find a new soundset?

Vanilla celestials afair do have some sounds. Or your point is to let them actually speak something, not just 'arghhh...'?

a small PnP inconsistency, as these creatures should look like more similar to humans rather than elves, and they should be slightly taller than most humans.
I take it that wings are avaliable to elves only. It indeed may look weird for a celestial being shorter than a human.
does anyone know a way to assign them an appropriate soundset?
What do you mean? How to assign new soundset line to a creature (which is trivial) or where to find a new soundset?

Vanilla celestials afair do have some sounds. Or your point is to let them actually speak something, not just 'arghhh...'?

Solar's extremely limited soundset seem tied to the animation, and thus in case we decide to change it I have to assign new sounds. We may just search for the original ones yes, but I currently don't know all of them (e.g. stringref 73122 should be "I shall prevail!").

a small PnP inconsistency, as these creatures should look like more similar to humans rather than elves, and they should be slightly taller than most humans.
I take it that wings are avaliable to elves only. It indeed may look weird for a celestial being shorter than a human.
Indeed this is the only real reason which is currently stopping me from declaring this a "must-do" thing...still it may be an improvement over vanilla's animation, I'm just not 100% sure.

Yes, there is this small PnP inconsistency but I do believe the PROs do outweight it completely.

So I say "yes" to Erephine's gorgeous wings!

They'd look really splendid, I am sure!

I hope I can see them in the next version, Demi! :D

Hmm, now I do support the though that the avatars could do some work, but...

But we-ah, I would have to see the results before I can say anything on them, so ifwhen you are going to include this, please make it multi-optional and take screen shots... or let me take them. :D Example in x2 with no special effects.

baldr001wv9.png

I'm for this proposed change...if size is the only thing stopping you, I don't think it's that big a deal. I like how the planetars/devas can now have the weapons shown on their animation, i like the different coloured wings very much - you could differentiate between good/evil easily this way and it looks very aesthetically pleasing, going by Jarno's Screenie!

Also, just in general, they're no longer all chunky and blue...i mean that screenshot is zoomed in but they always looked like their blue matter is about to flow everywhere at a moment's notice....

Hm, I think they could use winged helmets as well. Damn bad, as I always use 'no helmet animation' from TweakPack. No an issue though for me.
Erephine coded it in a way that prevents helmets from being used...anyway I don't think they would look too good.

I for one prefer celestial beings to look not-like-elves.
Making it optional requires some time, as it would involve having different .cre files for each creature, plus two different items per creature (weapon and armor). I'll think about it...

I've just finished a Deva and it looks quite good with a custom white/gold chain mail, azure wings and a pulsing Mace of Disruption as weapon. I do agree that the elf-look is still partially there, but it seems mitigated by the wings which make the creature look somewhat different.

P.S How can I post a screenshot here? I saved it as a .jpg but I don't know how to show it like Jarno did.

While you are at it, what about remove the 5% vorpal from planetars? On my manuals it's solars who have vorpal attacks not planetars, and beside being out of place it ruins a bit the game imo: enemy planetars hitting with a vorpal cause permanent death to npc -> reload; player controlled planetars killing dragons or whatever with a vorpal spoil a bit the fun too, and it makes black blade of disaster a very weak alternate choice.

If you are going to use the flaming sword model then some bonus fire damage would balance the vorpal removal, even if they don't need more power ^^

P.S How can I post a screenshot here? I saved it as a .jpg but I don't know how to show it like Jarno did.
I do it by uploading the image into Imageshack.us and post the link it gives, easy. I make them all into .png as it give the same quality as the screen shots in game(.bmp) as it's a bit smaller...
While you are at it, what about remove the 5% vorpal from planetars? On my manuals it's solars who have vorpal attacks not planetars, and beside being out of place it ruins a bit the game imo: enemy planetars hitting with a vorpal cause permanent death to npc -> reload; player controlled planetars killing dragons or whatever with a vorpal spoil a bit the fun too, and it makes black blade of disaster a very weak alternate choice.

If you are going to use the flaming sword model then some bonus fire damage would balance the vorpal removal, even if they don't need more power ^^

You have a point, though planetars do have vorpal swords in AD&D, it's the 3rd edition which "limited" them with a plain +3 greatsword. Solars instead are even more powerful as their bows fire Arrows of Slaying which can kill any target in a single hit. :D

Anyway for the sake of balance I may think about removing the vorpal effect...anyone else agree with Raj?

Archived