Need suggestion for my next game

Vaalyah

@ CrazeeFfan: thanks for details, you have been really exhaustive! :-D

@Berelinde: are you mocking me? Also Casavir's romance is greatly detailed! The problem is that I fell in love with Bishop as soon as I entered the Sunken Flagon and try to speak with him... who actually said "Let me drink 3 or 4 more beers and I'll find you charming". Thanks -_-' So, for what I am (I really am) he's the man of my life :-P I love quarrelling! :-D

Is there any romance mod for DA:O to extend romance dialogues?

There are mods that fix bugs in the vanilla dialogues, mods that disable gender restrictions on romances (guys like romancing Alistair, too), mods that extend sex cutscenes and make them play every time instead of just the first time, and mods that change physical appearance in every way imaginable, but AFAIK, there's no mod that adds flirts to canon dialogues. And that's a shame.

No, I wasn't mocking you. The Bishop Romance was written and in circulation before I even had a computer that could run NWN2. I just help out on the forums because Domi isn't around as often as I am.

The only problem is that I don't think mods can actually remove some of the go-kill-go-kill sequences... :mad:

They do make them moderately more interesting, IMHO. Hack'n'slash becomes less annoying when your party members comment on it, I think. Plus, some of the characters in both mods are absolutely great - Diriel, Sir Nord, Peony, and Salomeya are probably my favorites in IWD II.

Dragon Age Origins is well worth your time. Just put it on easy and you should have little trouble with the combat.

I'll put in a vote for the Mass Effect series. The second one really grabbed me and I normally hate both space games and shooters. I'm not sure how playing the second game would be without having played the first.

I liked The Witcher also, but I suspect I'm the only one who did :mad:

@Berelinde: ehm... silly question. But how DA:O is rated? If it shows sex scenes, there should be an age limit, I suppose...

About the romance mod, I still would like to write an Italian translation... but my toolset doesn't work, my account on bioware forum neither and the webmaster of it has not answered yet to my mail for help. I am thinking about creating another account to see if I can post wherever just to say "please, a mod help! my real account doesn't work!"... uff, I am desperated! :_(

@ Ipsy: Ok, now I am confused... this kind of mods, what do they do? Are they adding simply dialogues and personalities to npc that YOU create or are they adding the entire npc? I mean, can I still choose the entire party (a rogue, a wizard, a cleric...) or they already come in set, so I cannot choose the classes of my npc?

@ Quana: even if I like scifi for movies, I am not much into it for games or real rpg... I've heard opposite opinions about Mass Effect 1 and 2... Are they dialogue oriented or more go-kill oriented?

About the Witcher... just yesterday I've read enthusiastic opinion on it in an Italian game forum and now I am very curious... can you tell me a bit more?

DA:O is rated an 18+. It doesn't have much swearing in it (and all the swearing it does contain is lore-appropriate - bastard, sod, etc.) but it does have graphic violence (well, over-the-top amounts of spurting blood, so much so that it doesn't look at all realistic) and cheesy sex scenes which are awkward to watch. The scenes are about 20 seconds long, perhaps? They can be skipped by pressing Esc, though, if they make you uncomfortable.

The NPC projects for the IWD games effectively allow you to create 1 character, and then you just "import" characters into the other slots. I believe the IWD2 project has a character of every class. The characters will then interject into conversations, have dialogue with the PC, and some of them have romances available. And they all come with their own soundsets. The IWD2 project was written by Domi (who wrote the Bishop romance mod you're playing, so you know already know the quality of writing) and the IWD NPC mod was made by Kulyok (there's only 5 characters to use in this one, so your party is the same every time, but they have extensive dialogues and an overriding story-arc that meshes into the game seamlessly).

1) sorry, I can't possibly understand the reason to put in a game a sex scene... not because I am offended by it, but because I think it doesn't add anything to the narration... I mean, are programmers pretending that we're just voyeur? o_O Moreover, if you say that the scene is cheesy... I try to explain better: I have the idea that, if you are introducing a "feature" you have to do it in the best available way. So, you can add a perfect sex scene, with the right kind of light/darkness, the right amount of see/not-see, the right amount of time, or it is better to skip. From what I've understood, you are saying that there is a sex scene that is almost embarrassing (not for us, but for who has programmed it). So, what is the reason to put it in the game?

2) these things about IWD 1 and 2 are really making me thinking about installing it again... I just hope to find the CDs (I've moved to another house just 2 months ago, so many things are still in boxes :-P ) and that they can run on Windows7...

Suggestions? Well, have you tried the "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic", "Mass Effect" ...

and that they can run on Windows7...
As long as you follow the correct way of installing the games to your computer, the Windows 7 can give you the exact Windows X experience, just like the BG2; Install the game to NON_Program Files folder, disable the UAC, and the PCA.

How? Control Panel -> User Accounts and Family Safety -> User Accounts -> Change Your User Account Control settings... set to the bottom most option and done, and then restarting the computer... and ... Push the Start -> type to the console: gpedit.msc and start it, then User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Application Compatibility

Double click the option "Turn off Program Compatibility Assistant", and inside its configuration mark the "Enabled" -> Apply -> OK. Restart the computer.

So, what is the reason to put it in the game?
Well, there are several reasons, but know that there isn't any explicit content in the original game...
@ Ipsy: Ok, now I am confused... this kind of mods, what do they do? Are they adding simply dialogues and personalities to npc that YOU create or are they adding the entire npc? I mean, can I still choose the entire party (a rogue, a wizard, a cleric...) or they already come in set, so I cannot choose the classes of my npc?

They add entire NPCs. IWD I NPCs has options for different classes for its characters, and in IWD II there's enough NPCs that you can simply pick and choose anyway. You could also customize a few characters and have some mod-added characters along as well, if you wanted.

@ Jarno Mikkola: stop there and look here! :-D since you are so informed, I need help! I am quite good with computers (actually I work as a programmer, so...) but making things run smoothly on W7 is not so obvious. Mostly since my internet connection sucks and it works when it wants, so I can't easily install patches or check on Microsoft official site about bugs and incompatibilities.

However, even if I followed perfectly NWN2 setting... the toolset still doesn't work and with it a lot of features that I supposed are related to it. I've also have problems with my bioware forum accounts (I've contacted the webmaster twice, but after 10 days, still no answer). So, please, if you have 5 minutes, go to the thread after this (same section, still by me, entitled "Item creation in NWN2") and give me a suggestion :beer: or just write an appeal in the bio forum for helping Vaalyah user :mad:

About the game suggestions: no, I've never tried those games because I usually prefer fantasy above scifi. But if you say that they are great, I can have a try. Same requirements: many npc interactions. Is it satisfied?

@Ipsy: these npc... you find them during the game or just you start with a party in the "create a pc" section?

guys, each time I come to this forum, I feel that I really would like to help in some of these mods... I mean, you have done so much works for every gamer, I would like to give my contribution to this... but I don't know what could I do...

It's explained on the project pages for the mods. You just import the characters that you want in your party at character creation, after creating the custom character you want as the player character :mad:

But if you say that they are great, I can have a try. Same requirements: many npc interactions. Is it satisfied?

In KOTOR, NPC/NPC interaction is still there, but not to the same extent as BG2. I still liked it, though, and I found the characters interesting in and of themselves, especially in the way that they all were tied to the plot in one way or another, whether or not you took them along.

Well, you could offer help with translations, or playtesting. You could look here or here to see what's generally in demand for mods. It also depends on your abilities - for instance, skilled portrait artists are almost always in demand.

@ Jarno Mikkola: stop there and look here! :-D since you are so informed, I need help! I am quite good with computers (actually I work as a programmer, so...) but making things run smoothly on W7 is not so obvious. Mostly since my internet connection sucks and it works when it wants, so I can't easily install patches or check on Microsoft official site about bugs and incompatibilities.

However, even if I followed perfectly NWN2 setting... the toolset still doesn't work and with it a lot of features that I supposed are related to it. I've also have problems with my bioware forum accounts (I've contacted the webmaster twice, but after 10 days, still no answer). So, please, if you have 5 minutes, go to the thread after this (same section, still by me, entitled "Item creation in NWN2") and give me a suggestion :beer: or just write an appeal in the bio forum for helping Vaalyah user :mad:

Well, unfortunately for you, I don't have any experience with the NWN game moding, as the first game turned to me against the NWN's... but what I can tell you is that the NWN2 is of the newer generation games, games that don't mind been put into the Program Files folder, because they have their own Profile management system in the computer so they load part of the data from the C:\Users\*user id*\Documents\BioWare\*game name*\*custom folders*\override -folder.

Alike the Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 ... as they all use a premade tools sets that are designed to add the files there.

Yeah, even if you "turn off" the UAC in the W7, it still uses the primary setting that the administrator is defined as.

About the game suggestions: no, I've never tried those games because I usually prefer fantasy above scifi. But if you say that they are great, I can have a try. Same requirements: many npc interactions. Is it satisfied?
Well, I would suggest that you would try the games first, the demos usually should give you a quick look at how the game is played, but not much of the interactions, but there's a good example on Mass Effect, the NPCs always have mini interactions with each others when you go into an elevator... unless there's a radio announcement which is quite rare... then there's the talks you can have with the party members and a few non party members in the spaceship, and a lot of talks between the NPCs and the quest givers... of course if you have First Person Shooters, you might not like the game as the combat is primary FPS game, with RPG elements.

these npc... you find them during the game or just you start with a party in the "create a pc" section?
You use the pre generated character imports in the "create a pc" section.

@Ipsy: well, since my toolset isn't working at all, I suppose I am useless for testing. I mean, if the toolset doesn't work, something is not how it should, so my tests would be biased! I would like to help with the translation. I've already written my name in the section so, in case, I am here!

I am very good at Photoshopping, I also had a past in texturing for other games... but creating custom portraits... well... ehm..

@Jarno: I've installed NWN2 in a specific partition dedicated to games. Patched the game, all worked well. The only problem is that the toolset doesn't load and also crafting items or adding mod for modifying objects in game... I simply can't. I mean, I just want a decent-looking armour for my pc!!! I read it is a problem with DirectX 11 (on W7) instead of 9.0x (in XP), so I've installed also 9.0c. But nothing changed. Wrote to bioware forum, but I cannot post even in the old thread that I HAVE OPENED 2 years ago!!! Sigh, I am desperate!!!!

Ehm... it's an FPS? Not for me at all! I was of the opinion to keep about 3 combats in the entire NWN2! I hate combats! Even if I am particularly good at them... few minutes ago I was looking in the vault to see if I can find an NWN2 module with high rpg and non hack&slash (as they are classified there)

PS: nice avatar ^^

You could playtest for basically any game you own. The BG2 modding community is still very active. If you're good with Photoshop, perhaps you could try creating or editing inventory icons for BG or NWN, or even creating simple areas.

Technically, the Mass Effect games are Action RPGs. I haven't played them myself, but apparently they feature character interaction, romances, and character-specific quests. Perhaps you should look up a review?

The problem with reviews is that for each game, you can find a review that says "it's wonderful" and another that says "it's horrible", so usually I don't trust reviews.

ie: I've got NWN 1 and 2 boxes on my shelf. The same game magazine has given 9 out of 10 to both. But NWN2 is actually the game I was waiting for since BG2 while NWN 1... ahem... go-kill-go-kill-go-kill... so I prefer to ask directly to players.

The idea of inventory icons seems interesting! Maybe I could have a try!

What do you mean with "creating simple area"?

Archived