Packaging Throne of Bhaal content

Grim Squeaker

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've finally finished testing Tyris Flare for ToB. In theory all that's left is voicing. So this brings me on to question of how to distribute the content.

This has been a different one for different mods. For example, Kelsey goes with option 3: it's basically a seperate mod download and installer that just requires Kelsey SoA to be installed. However, theacefes went with option 1 for Sarah where the SoA download got upgraded to included ToB content (that installed if you had ToB installed). Option 2 is an unusual one but it's the one I've been using in testing: ToB content is a seperate download but it gets installed by the SoA installer if the SoA installer detects that it's there.

Any preferences people?

Sounds like you should be using option two since you've tested that package? Sounds good to me anyway.

Glad you have done ToB content :thumbsup:

Well, I mostly did it to see if it'd work because I don't think anyone has tried it before.

Possible pros and cons:

- Option 1 keeps everything together, which is good for reducing clutter, but also means you don't have to seperately uninstall ToB content if there's a SoA update.

- Option 2 and 3 keep the download size down for those without ToB, but this is hardly an issue nowadays in the age of broadband.

For example, Kelsey goes with option 3: it's basically a seperate mod download and installer that just requires Kelsey SoA to be installed.

JCompton is having Kelsey updated to fix that.

I prefer everything in a single package, with an installer that adapts itself to the game the mod is installed on (e.g. only install ToB content if it's a ToB game).

I utterly - and I mean it - fail to understand why anyone would want to multiply packages and therefore making it harder for users to navigate amongst them.

If that's due to download size - make full and light versions, but not split the actual content in two.

If you're worried about download size, then offer a 'lite' package without the voice overs. BG2 doesn't even care if a TLK string references a non-existing .wav, it simply displays the string itself. Other than that, the only reason for having separate SoA and ToB components / downloads is that pre-historic versions of WeiDU lacked ACTION_IF and couldn't properly selectively not install the ToB portion of the mod on a SoA-only game.

I have been building Aran as a "detect ToB and install that content if ToB exists" from the ground up. unless all of the voice set changes after ToB, I have actually saved overall cruft left over on the users systems by

1. one set of docs, one set of links, one set of supplementary materials of any kind

2. overlapping code consolidated into one area

3. dialog references (.tra) can be consolidated into one overall file (but the .d separated into two separate instances, one for each game)

4. .cre distribution and creation vorSoA means a few lines in .tp2 to create the ToB .cres

5. simple troubleshooting and easier repair - the hidden "goody" here is that later on, if something doesn't work quite right and additional dialog needs to be adjusted, the existing .tra for the whole game content can be reused as necessary (a trick we picked up in BG1NPC) which means repair doesn't mean re-translation of new lines (ubless it is a major rewrite).

The heaviest portion of the download is the voicing/music, where I am expecting to follow the BG1NPC/Saerileth/ImoenRom model and have a separate download for the voiceovers/music, just as the bigg mentioned.

Archived