Chewing toy from the Nine Hells

Domi

Saw this today at Bio's Forums: Apparently Albert gives something odd as a reward for bringing Ruffie back - a bandit scalp.

So what if we reequip that very chewing toy with some neat special ability and give it back to Player as a reward? With a humorous 'hell' joke on it?

Suggestions for the said 'neat special ability' go here:

@Caedwyr: Are you using the Original Saga? That sounds like a change from the original 5 disc version.

In an un-Baldurdashed game you get given nothing. Baldurdash changes that to give the bandit scalp as it fits the dialogue.

Albert Doesn't Give The Reward For Rufie Fix

File ALBERT.DLG; an edited version of the dialog definition file for Albert, the "boy" met near Nashkel who wants his lost "puppy" named Rufie found. It corrects an omission where Albert, on leaving, says that he is giving another "chew toy" to the player, but gives nothing. He will now give an appropriate "chew toy" that Rufie might have removed from someone in the area.

Nope its based on my foggy recollections of the first game. I remember being given a "chew toy for ruffie", and upon examining it seeing a badly mangled arm with the occasional glint of metal.

As a reward, I've always been given a black gem, Albert says that there are loads of them lying around where he lives. This is the Vanilla game, with maybe the BGI patch installed, but I kinda doubt even that.

You don't see the gnawed arm/rawhide chew unless you check inventory in between talking to Albert and returning Rufie to him. Albert then takes that original chew toy back. In exchange, he gives you "another one" which is an ordinary gem.

Be nice to have the second toy engraved (in the language of the Hells of course, so it would have to be translated somewhere) with "this is one hell of a note" or some such. Then it could be discovered that it can be played like a recorder which produces some minor spell effect; curse other, command or what have you, once per day. Then perhaps a later encounter with a diabolic priest could upgrade it for an Evil character so that it summons a very annoying and talkative imp-familiar type thing. The PC would have to interact with this minor diabolic creature to discover what it can actually do and how to command it to function usefully as opposed to perverting slipshod orders to suit itself.

From my understanding, and I have TotSC, Albert only gives the party a really nifty reward if the party is evil. Since I never play an evil character, I cannot say what the reward is, but playing a good alighned character, I have never received aything from Albert after returning Ruffie to him. It has been this way through 7 runs of BG1 and a few clean installs, so I don't thing it is a bug.

There is only one reward, you don't get it. BioWare forgot to add one although the dialogue clearly states you should receive one. There is no good vs. evil difference.

RUFIE!!  Who's a fuzzy Rufie?  Whoooooo's a fuzzy little guy?  Thank you just ever so much!  I better take this lost little puppy home right away.  Here, take this.  It's another of his chew things, but we can get more where we're going.  Thanks again.

No reward is given unless Baldurdash is installed. I call that a bug.

You don't see the gnawed arm/rawhide chew unless you check inventory in between talking to Albert and returning Rufie to him.  Albert then takes that original chew toy back.  In exchange, he gives you "another one" which is an ordinary gem. 

Be nice to have the second toy engraved (in the language of the Hells of course, so it would have to be translated somewhere) with "this is one hell of a note" or some such.  Then it could be discovered that it can be played like a recorder which produces some minor spell effect; curse other, command or what have you, once per day.  Then perhaps a later encounter with a diabolic priest could upgrade it for an Evil character so that it summons a very annoying and talkative imp-familiar type thing.  The PC would have to interact with this minor diabolic creature to discover what it can actually do and how to command it to function usefully as opposed to perverting slipshod orders to suit itself.

Yep, that's something what I would be hoping for!

I'd use the priest of Gondor in the Hall of Wonders to both read and upgrade the 'toy'. We can use one of them 'wardstones' bams, they are all black and have runes on them.

Maybe not imp, maybe the weakest one of the mephits/quazits? Short summon?

Anyone up to making an item that summons it for... what would be fair for BG1? a minute?

You could actually make the summons permanent as long as the summoned crittur doesn't do anything but annoy. Once the PC finally figures out how to command it, he/she gets three uses of the imp's power (whatever it may be) and it leaves forever. Of course, it won't warn ahead of time about the limitation of three. And stuff like fetching gum drops for Xzar would qualify as a use.

If it's a summons then I'd suggest an Imp, as they are from the Nine Hells.

Quasits are Chaotic and live in the Abyss, and Mephits vary in alignment and inhabit multiple elemental/paraelemental planes.

You could actually make the summons permanent as long as the summoned crittur doesn't do anything but annoy.  Once the PC finally figures out how to command it, he/she gets three uses of the imp's power (whatever it may be) and it leaves forever.  Of course, it won't warn ahead of time about the limitation of three.  And stuff like fetching gum drops for Xzar would qualify as a use.

Quasits are Chaotic and live in the Abyss, and Mephits vary in alignment and inhabit multiple elemental/paraelemental planes.

Really Really Really Minor Wish Imp?

so that all he can do is something stupid? NPC specific, depending who is in the group? (Maybe then he can have 5 wishes that would dissappear from the list once done?) Dialogues, my good Sirs and Ma'ams?

There is only one reward, you don't get it. BioWare forgot to add one although the dialogue clearly states you should receive one. There is no good vs. evil difference.
RUFIE!!  Who's a fuzzy Rufie?  Whoooooo's a fuzzy little guy?  Thank you just ever so much!  I better take this lost little puppy home right away.  Here, take this.  It's another of his chew things, but we can get more where we're going.  Thanks again.

No reward is given unless Baldurdash is installed. I call that a bug.

Huh. Well that clears that up. One of the walkthroughs said it was a good/evil thing. Damn them for lying to me!!!! *Goes to hunt them down*

Really Really Really Minor Wish Imp?

so that all he can do is something stupid? NPC specific, depending who is in the group? (Maybe then he can have 5 wishes that would dissappear from the list once done?) Dialogues, my good Sirs and Ma'ams?

I like this idea. :blush:

Archived