Does TOBex improve game engine?

amnasty

SCS2 is the TOBex set up modification and seems to always crash WITHOUT TOBex installed.

I tried installing TOBex before playing SCS2 and it runs smooth but there are always crashes around after 20 mins of play.

I have no clue what TOBex improves it and how it can make game run smooth becuase it definitely creates some hicups or crashes at certain points of time.

Overall it doesn't change a lot instead there are breaks especially during fights which cause crashes. Fortunately besides crashes it doesn't cause any serious issues for me till now.

I will also post the install order to confirm whether there is any issue with the mods or not and request some tips to run the game with least crashes possible

Install order

Baldur’s Gate II: Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal GOG edition

ToBEx installed

BG2 Fixpack + BG2 Tweakpack installed

BG2 P&P Celestials

BG2 improved horns of valhalla

BG2 Divine Remix

SCS2

Enable the logging in ToBEx:

Troubleshooting

---------------

First, make sure that TobEx is actually the issue.

You can forcefully disable TobEx from running by renaming TobEx.dll in your game directory.

For more debugging information:

1. Open TobEx_ini/TobExCore.ini in a simple text editor.

2. Under the [Debug] section, set all values of 0 to 1.

3. Try to reproduce your error in-game. TobEx may sometimes reports some extra information about the error.

4. Report any errors you find on the Spellhold Studios forums. Expect to be asked to attach a .zip of your saved game folder, WeiDU.log, TobEx.log, TobExCore.ini, and TobExTweak.ini.

Now if it's not actually the ToBEx, it could be the common lag that's causing your computer to squize... the SCSII probably needs all your primary processors calculation power to run which is an issue on this old game. You should try installing the Generalized Biffing and see if it helps a bit. And make sure to follow up with all these other advices to avoid the lagging/stutter.

Which tobex components have you installed?

Core components only except the SCS2 modifications that are installed from the mod.

Now if it's not actually the ToBEx, it could be the common lag that's causing your computer to squize... the SCSII probably needs all your primary processors calculation power to run which is an issue on this old game. You should try installing the Generalized Biffing and see if it helps a bit. And make sure to follow up with all these other advices to avoid the lagging/stutter.

SCS2 is heavy on tweaks compared to standard weidu mods. I now installed few selective components (rather complete) of SCS2 and the game runs brilliantly but crashes at least once in an hour or so. I have requested the makers of TOBex to look into the matter and they have issued a statement saying it's still under beta and requires still more testing for full final release.

Thanks for the support and hope it works well in future releases.

SCS2 is the TOBex set up modification and seems to always crash WITHOUT TOBex installed.

No. I mean do not install Tobex separately.

BG2

/Ascension/

BG2 Fixpack (must be installed!)

RR

SCS2

BG2 Tweakpack

ATweaks

^ My install order - works perfectly.

I have so far had no troubles with installing ToBex seperately. In fact, I find it more logical as a newer version could be used.

If you have a new version of ToBEx, SCS is fine with it. But I prefer to ship a copy in any case so that (a) people can just download and install SCSII without having to chase up a copy of ToBEx (same reason we ship a copy of weidu.exe with every mod); (b) occasionally an older version of ToBEx can be more stable than the newest one. (Ascension64, sensibly enough, sometimes alternates releasing a fixed-up version that sorts out known bugs, and then releasing a version with new features, but inevitably also new bugs. If I'm not using the new features, it can make sense to use the older version.)

Archived