GemRB 0.8.0 released! (Fork Me edition)

lynx

Will the Android App markets be updated with this new release? Google Play still only has v0.7.0.1.

I ask because my Nook does not allow non-market apk installations and rooting it invalidates the warranty.

I doubt it. First, I don't believe the guy that put in on Market is part of the development team and there would be issues with the signing key (it could not be published as an update without the original key). Second, unless something has changed dramatically with the Nook, I don't think it could run this version very well.

Read through the posts and you will see it takes a pretty fast machine for satisfactory performance.

I hope I'm wrong though, on both accounts.

Certainly not 0.8.0, but the next one probably will. There is something very exciting being developed now, so keep your fingers crossed.

That's great news. I've been patiently waiting since I discovered GemRB (after it was originally put on Market). I've also acquired both BG1 and 2 in anticipation and if the new GemRB works as well as I know the development team can do, I will get the rest.

A big THANKS for all you folks working hard on this project. It is very appreciated, though you probably hear more complaints than appreciation. Of course you'll wouldn't be up to the task if you didn't have thick skins.

Unless things get delayed, the old configuration menu and demo downloader will not be making a reappearance yet. But for someone who already ran gemrb and with all the internal logging in place, it should be trivial to configure it for other games.

"You must have thick skin" is a lousy rationalisation or requirement. Never let others control your happiness.

Looking forward to the exciting new development! :D

What I am missing from previous versions is keyboard funtionality (dock keys). some keys work, but my number keys dont. It is almost impossible to click the right dialogue option with touch. I liked using the number keys.

Can I use GemrB with bigger fonts mod? Or if not, in what way can I make the font bigger?

Thanks in advance.

Doesn't it work with TuTu? Is there a special way to install. I will try to upload a error log.

It works fine with tutu. You needn't bother uploading the log, the problem with the Android build is that the person who built it added a logger class that leaks like a sieve. The android build will always crash after enough log messages consume all the memory available. Nothing can be done about it short of building a new version, and despite the high number of requests for Android support, nobody has actually stepped forward to do anything for it short of talk.

Certainly not 0.8.0, but the next one probably will. There is something very exciting being developed now, so keep your fingers crossed.

I was wondering what the status is of the developments you were referring to is, currently?

Are you guys still having trouble finding someone to compile the project for android?

Thanks....

things slowed down a bit since the start of the year, as we all got bogged down with work-work. There's not much missing for the release: besides a few known regressions, only some targetted testing.

The exciting thing is in beta-ish phase and will require a manual intervention to use in the next release. Perhaps an alternative apk will be provided, but the streamlining there wasn't finished either. So yeah, extra androiders are always welcome, so we can finish the transition from the old market version. Signing itself is not a problem though.

things slowed down a bit since the start of the year, as we all got bogged down with work-work. There's not much missing for the release: besides a few known regressions, only some targetted testing.

The exciting thing is in beta-ish phase and will require a manual intervention to use in the next release. Perhaps an alternative apk will be provided, but the streamlining there wasn't finished either. So yeah, extra androiders are always welcome, so we can finish the transition from the old market version. Signing itself is not a problem though.

Is the procedure for android compiling being written down? There was a problem awhile back of no one knowing how because one of the developers was MIA, or something like that (my memory hasn't improved).

I'm not volunteering (yet - I still cannot be relied on due to time restraints), but I'd like to see if I can compile it (something I brought up long ago on the sourceforge site (http://sourceforge.n...re-requests/19/)). Is the lates code on GitHub (https://github.com/gemrb/gemrb)?

The reason I ask is because I have advanced my knowledge in the last year (though not nearly as much as I'd have liked to) and I also happen to have all of the tools sited in that conversation loaded now, for other reasons, but they are on my system and working.

The biggest reason is because even though I've tried to find suitable replacements, I miss playing BG on my tablet! That's one series I never got for my PC and I've never played it otherwise. They just don't make games like that anymore.

github is the right place for the code, yes. The android build was much simplified since, at least for unix-like systems — see the android/ folder and it's README. There's a script now to download and build the dependencies. SDL2 is still fetched from their bleeding edge, but in case that turns out to be a problem, we can fix it as it happens. Other dependencies are stable.

Archived