Kit Revisions Beta 20

-The Paladin classes do not start with Lay on Hands, but the game still informs you on level up that "Lay on Hands increased by: 2." This does not occur on the Inquisitor.
o.O ? Is this a BGEE thing?

-I must confess that the current Paladin descriptions still bother me because it is not immediately evident what the kits are giving up with respect to the True Paladin due to the lack of a "Disadvantages" section.
Descriptions are still a work in progress. Fighters use "advantages & disadvantages", paladins uses "class features".

-Cavaliers still get Divine Spellcasting at level 4.
Can they actually cast spell? It would be strange considering spcl234 is there and now has both 'disable spell button' and 'disable spellcasting' opcodes...

-Are Paladins meant to get Shillelagh? It is a plant sphere spell.
Fixed thanks.

-I like that there is an icon for Heroism. However, it seems odd that it functions like a spell. I assumed it was just the Cavalier inspiring his party to heroism in a non-magical manner ala the Fighter's Tactician ability (although not a passive ability).
If you did not expected it to be passive, how did you expected it to work? What in particular make it look like a spell? If something like centering it on the Cavalier or making it a non-passive aura would improve the feeling I'm all for it.

-Cavalier description: Heroism "lasts twice as much" should be "twice as long." Heroism "and protect from any fear effect" should be "protects." Lay on Hands "cure the target from any disease" sounds better as "cure the target of any disease."

-Inquisitor description: True Seeing still sounds like it functions as per vanilla as currently stated. Lay on Hands: "At 6th level, it also cures from" sounds better as "At 6th level, it also cures."

Thanks for the inputs.

-With the revised level progress, the XP cap in BG:EE of 161,000 seems absurdly arbitrary (even more than normal). Consider changing it to 150,000 for sanity's sake.
I think it's best to keep the caps untouched. Keep in mind that the XP component is really just for testing purposes right now. Once you guys have an idea of how it performs please write down something like kreso did here if you can. After I have some more feedback I will try to write down a "custom" table, which right now would pretty much be paladin's table with faster early level ups (only levels 2,3 and maybe 4). Edited by Demivrgvs
-The Paladin classes do not start with Lay on Hands, but the game still informs you on level up that "Lay on Hands increased by: 2." This does not occur on the Inquisitor.
o.O ? Is this a BGEE thing?

I have no such messages. I only get a message at 3rd - Gained ability - Lay on hands. No "increased by 2" later.

-Cavaliers still get Divine Spellcasting at level 4.
Can they actually cast spell? It would be strange considering spcl234 is there and now has both 'disable spell button' and 'disable spellcasting' opcodes...

No, they can't. They can only memorize them.

I like the idea about Heroism. Perhaps some animation like...ummm...Draw upon Divine might? Centered on caster, with a big enough AoE?

Otoh, if this should work like "Remove Fear" then keep it as it is. Once somebody's panicked, it's hard to hit him with it as it is, let alone standing near him.

The "increased by 2" message for Lay on Hands must be a BG:EE thing. It's only a cosmetic issue.

Cavaliers being able to memorize but not cast spells seems hack-ish. The Inquisitor's spellbook is grayed out. Is this not possible to replicate?

I agree with kreso that Heroism would be better if centered on the Cavalier. Having to target an area with the moon-and-stars cursor is what makes it seem spell-ish. It is also odd to think of him channeling his heroism over long distances like a her0-ventriloquist.

May be just a crazy idea about Heroism. But:

How about making it non-dispelable? Pre-combat prebuff, and Cavalier seems fitting to lift up the fighting spirit among his comrades without resorting to magical means.

Divine Spellcasting

Cavaliers being able to memorize but not cast spells seems hack-ish. The Inquisitor's spellbook is grayed out. Is this not possible to replicate?
Don't tell me, I looked into it this evening...and we have much worse problems than that! :(

Short story: removing spellcasting isn't really doable, at least not in a flawless way. :(

Long story: I still have to try one last thing tomorrow (manually removing all spells and spell slots from Cavalier spellbook via spl at each level up), but even if it might work for paladins it won't solve another problem I have with Ranger's kits. The latters can dual to both mage and cleric, and thus I cannot disable the spell button, nor remove the divine spellbook.

I'm preparing myself to the eventuality of been forced to keep spellcasting for all those kits and one case in particular worries me, the Archer. With kensai-like bonuses, Called Shots, and Divine Spellcasting it's going to be the most overpowered kit ever, especially for BG1. :(

May be just a crazy idea about Heroism. But:

How about making it non-dispelable? Pre-combat prebuff, and Cavalier seems fitting to lift up the fighting spirit among his comrades without resorting to magical means.

Isn't it already set to "no dispel"? If not, shame on me because I do planned it as not dispellable.

Divine Spellcasting

.....The latters can dual to both mage and cleric, and thus I cannot disable the spell button, nor remove the divine spellbook.

Ranger-mage?! :)

I'm preparing myself to the eventuality of been forced to keep spellcasting for all those kits and one case in particular worries me, the Archer. With kensai-like bonuses, Called Shots, and Divine Spellcasting it's going to be the most overpowered kit ever, especially for BG1. :(

Well, this might not actually be such a bad thing... Can you still make "custom" spellbook for them at least?

Isn't it already set to "no dispel"? If not, shame on me because I do planned it as not dispellable.

It is..... :( my bad. One time I noticed the icon gone after Dispel the duration must have ended. Checked again, it's definitely not dispelable.

Divine Spellcasting

.....The latters can dual to both mage and cleric, and thus I cannot disable the spell button, nor remove the divine spellbook.
Ranger-mage?! :)
My bad, for some reason I thought Archer -> Mage was possible. :D

Well, this might not actually be such a bad thing... Can you still make "custom" spellbook for them at least?
Yes, though I don't know how much this can help for this kit, it would still get too much things.

Heroism

It is..... :( my bad. One time I noticed the icon gone after Dispel the duration must have ended. Checked again, it's definitely not dispelable.
:)

Regarding divine spellcasting for paladins/rangers: vanilla behaviour is determined by function at 0x007887CE. It looks like this:

return ScriptObject__isOfClass(&pCharacter->soBase, ClassIDS__CLERIC, 1)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__DRUID, 1)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__PALADIN, 1) && !(ObjCreature__getUsabilityFlag(pCharacter) & 0x10)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__RANGER, 1);

If you don't mind modifying the executable, it is relatively simple to disable priest spellbook for other kits.

Edited by veyn
If you don't mind modifying the executable
By the looks of that, it would be relatively easy to extend that with ToBEx... so there would be no need to edit the BGMain.exe, actually in a way. Now to just ask how did you ever come with the above ? And nope, I don't need the answer, Ascension64 does, or then I am totally mistaken. But then again I don't know a cheese about these things. Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Regarding divine spellcasting for paladins/rangers: vanilla behaviour is determined by function at 0x007887CE. It looks like this:

return ScriptObject__isOfClass(&pCharacter->soBase, ClassIDS__CLERIC, 1)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__DRUID, 1)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__PALADIN, 1) && !(ObjCreature__getUsabilityFlag(pCharacter) & 0x10)
  || ScriptObject__isOfClass(pSOBase, ClassIDS__RANGER, 1);

If you don't mind modifying the executable, it is relatively simple to disable priest spellbook for other kits.

If you don't mind modifying the executable
By the looks of that, it would be relatively easy to extend that with ToBEx... so there would be no need to edit the BGMain.exe actually.
I'd be very happy if ToBEx would include this, but otherwise I don't feel comfortable hacking the exe.
I'd be very happy if ToBEx would include this, but otherwise I don't feel comfortable hacking the exe.
It's a very simple hack, that shouldn't conflict with ToBEx if it eventually externalizes spellcasting - replace the value with 0x18 and we're done.

That said, I'm not a debugger, so I don't really know if it looks different in compiled form or where to look for it.

A little bug I found; in dvcl322a.spl (high level Frenzy) some effects have duration set to 12 seconds, instead of 18. The include all abilities apart vanilla rage immunities - numb.of attacks, AC penalty, saves penalty, min HP and Berserk.

Any chance for a new Berzerker today? I got the Frenzy itch ;)

Technically, I didn't even got home yesterday, I did this morning around 4 am. :D I'll give you a new beta today though, and I'll try to put there a bunch of surprises too along the re-revised Berserker. ;)