Kit Revisions Beta 20

Well, just to be sure I've tweaked both Frenzy and Diehard to use the bigger shell system. :) Everything seems fine now, except...

...in my install Diehard still doesn't regen a single hp at level 11 (portrait icon is displayed though), when set to 1hp every 6 sec. It works with a faster regen rate (e.g. level 14's 1 hp every 3 sec). Could it be some disabled option from my ToBEx? Something similar to multiple repeating EFF not working without ToBEx? Arda can you look into this? I could simply use a faster regen rate at level 11, but I want to know what's wrong anyway.

I think ToBEx only allows different rates of regen to work together. Diehard should work correctly even without it imo, for as long as you don't have an item which regenerates >1hp/6 sec. If you had an item (Ring Of Regen for example) which is 1hp/6sec, Diehard at 11 and ring would stack resulting in 2hp/6sec. Without ToBEx, Diehard at 14 would exclude ring's regeneration (only highest regen works, and stacks only if rates are equal - menaing, with vanilla Gaxx 2hp/round and Diehard 2hp you'd net 4. At 17, Gaxx would be excluded since 3HP/round is higher than Gaxx) .

ToBEx makes it possible for all regen items to stack properly.

Ring of regen + Diehard level 14 is 1+2=3.

Without ToBEx - 2>1, only 2hp/round are regenerated.

@kreso, isn't it easier if you just test the Berserker on BG2 with a fully working IR? Only phisical resistance would be missing. Btw, as soon as my Diehard issue is fixed I'll upload once again b16, with a fully working Berserker.

What does it mean "fully working IR"? :rolleyes: You mean DEX and Speed Factor penalties?

Well, I'll continue to investigate what appears to be a random Diehard's issue not encountered by many, but in the meanwhile I've re-uploaded b16 with a fully working Berserker.

To make sure Diehard works regardless of the above mentioned issue, at level 11 the Berserker now regains 1 hp every 4 seconds (which still means 1 hp/round, but 4 every 3 rounds). Level 14 and 17 upgrades are unchanged. In-game class description is fully updated.

Edit:

Diehard should work correctly even without it imo, for as long as you don't have an item which regenerates >1hp/6 sec.
I can assure you it doesn't in my install, with no items equipped at all. I know what ToBEx fixed about regen stack.

What does it mean "fully working IR"? :rolleyes: You mean DEX and Speed Factor penalties?
Yeah. At least you don't have to simulate that stuff, but only physical res.

I hope I can provide you a BGEE compatible IR V3.1 soon enough, but after finding out backgrounds and roles for all those damn new items I discovered they had no unique bams and I got stuck. Grrrr

Edited by Demivrgvs
Yeah. At least you don't have to simulate that stuff, but only physical res.

I already have those, I just mentioned that as per "no shields and 15% resistance from plate mail", that's what I was planning to change.

I hope I can provide you a BGEE compatible IR V3.1 soon enough, but after finding out backgrounds and roles for all those damn new items I discovered they had no unique bams and I got stuck. Grrrr

Well, as I said, testing previous Berserker was hard as it is, testing how this new version plays might be even harder. It will take a while to see how he preforms under different scenarios (friendly fire, magic missiles, clouds, disables, poison, bleeding, 1vs1 etc.)

Therefore, take your time with IR.

Berserker's chance to Frenzy is set to 100 when in Rage...I tought it was just my lucky day, but NI says DVCL323B.EFF probability 1=100. It should be 15, no?
Yeah, I guess it's a left over from this morning tests. :D

Edit: Re-uploaded anyway, just copy my file if you prefer.

Edited by Demivrgvs

Sorry guys but True Ranger and Archer will have to wait a little bit more. I only managed to mod a little bit tonight after my girl falled asleep. :D

In the meanwhile I'll make the first draft of the Undead Hunter available. Be gentle with it, I'm still very uncertain about it. :( I've made him get Ranged Smite Evil (I'm using 3E PnP name, but it sucks imo) and I would ask testers to try him out with ranged weapons to see if the concept plays well. If not we'll drop this idea, if yes, I'll probably propose to expand it a little bit (e.g. allow mastery in xbows, and limit the class to either medium armor of plate mail - no full plate). I've merged Smite Evil and Smite undead into a single ability as previously discussed, and granted a disruptive upgrade to it at level 10 (both features a pretty much identical to Pathfinder). For now he does not get immunity to energy drain, but his Lay on Hands cures both paralysis and level drains. Let's see how the class performs, then we'll see if we need to re-introduce it and how (e.g. permanent feat, via aura, or spell-like ability). Short story, consider it a work in progress.

While I was at it I've also tried to introduce a bunch of tentative tweaks inspired by your feedback and playtest with the Kensai. Ki Strike now starts as a +4 bonus to thac0, then gets max damage too at level 5, Ki Dodge gets a huge upgrade at level 19 as discussed, granting immunity to all weapon attacks for 1 round. I've also tried to give an appropriate upgrade to Ki step, and ended up with something very similar to what some of you have suggested (giving him Evasion HLA) and PnP Kensai (which gets a concentration to make him easily resist reflex based saves).

Hoping everything works fine, I'll get some sleep.

Beta 17:

- Undead Hunter class added

- Berserker's Frenzy now trigger when struck (5% chance)

- when Frenzy is triggered the Berserker is "cured" from confusion, hold or similar effects

- Ki Strike, Ki Step and Ki Dodge are "upgraded" at levels 5, 10 and 19

Undead Hunter

He is, then, a literal hunter of undead. Interesting. I'm not sure an armor restriction is necessary, but what is he losing compared to the True Paladin? I see he can still cast spells.

Consider moving the immunity to paralysis to 2nd or 3rd level. Ghouls and ghasts are common-ish in BG1 and this could be very helpful.

Kensai

Ki Strike now starts as a +4 bonus to thac0, then gets max damage too at level 5

I like this a lot. It should be better at lower levels than before and gives more of a sense of progression.

Other changes sound fine.

Edited by Kalindor

Undead Hunter

He is, then, a literal hunter of undead. Interesting.
Yes, I'm trying trying to stay as close as possible to vanilla if possible, even if I would have preferred a less specialized Holy Hunter.

I'm not sure an armor restriction is necessary, but what is he losing compared to the True Paladin? I see he can still cast spells.
Nothing, that's the point. Right now it simply "swaps something for something similar", but overall it gets slightly better abilities imo, and he needs a small drawback if he keeps the Ranged Smite (he's losing nothing for it) or if we are to get him anything more (e.g. dedicated spells such as Halt Undead, Disrupting Weapons, etc.).

Speaking of spells, they are still there yes, and they probably have to stay. I'm more reluctant to give spells back to the Cavalier, but considering that without an exe patching I cannot make it work flawlessly I'm forced to think about it.

On a side note, bad new for the Cavalier. Unless A64 gets his hands back on opcode 183, I and Arda tried it in every possible way, and it does not work as it should (timing mode or stacking issues depending on settings). Without it I cannot give this class PnP Shield Block (+x AC when wielding a shield), and I don't know if I like the idea of giving it a plain +x AC.

Consider moving the immunity to paralysis to 2nd or 3rd level. Ghouls and ghasts are common-ish in BG1 and this could be very helpful.
Is it more important than immunity to fear? Anyway, as I said, it's a wip, I will consider it indeed if playtesting tells us such immunity is a must for levels 1-4.

Kensai

Ki Strike now starts as a +4 bonus to thac0, then gets max damage too at level 5
I like this a lot. It should be better at lower levels than before and gives more of a sense of progression.
:)

@Demivrgvs: You forgot the HLA table update from the last component !

The table is the: lunumab.2da, most of the numbers need to be 18, the duals/multies need to be 27 and the triples need to be 35, if my memory serves.

As now you have druids that gain HLA's after the 1 800 000xp mark, and thieves that gain them at 4 200 000xp... that's a quite a difference.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
@Demivrgvs: You forgot the HLA table update from the last component !

The table is the: lunumab.2da, most of the numbers need to be 18, the duals/multies need to be 27 and the triples need to be 36, if my memory serves.

As now you have druids that gain HLA's after the 1 800 000xp mark, and thieves that gain them at 4 200 000xp... that's a quite a difference.

Thanks for reminding me that, though both HLA stuffs and the unified xp table are in alpha stage (I'm not even sure if all testers are using the revised xp progression).
Thanks for reminding me that, though both HLA stuffs and the unified xp table are in alpha stage (I'm not even sure if all testers are using the revised xp progression).
You are welcome. And that's a given or there would have already been a revolt at your lair about this...

Erhm speaking about the HLA's, I hope you will make a compromize and allow both systems on the HLA spells on mages(and other casters)... where you allow the installation phase the player to deside to make the spell either; normal/vanilla 9th spell level spells or 10th level and thus only special ability spells.

(I'm not even sure if all testers are using the revised xp progression).

I am. Otoh, I'll finish my Berserker game (will take some time) so won't be giving feedback for UH for several days.

Just a tought, for UH's immunity to Fear/Paralyze I'd swap them as Kalindor suggests. Fear at 5, Paralyze at 2. Remove Fear is level 2, quite easilly obtainable, Paralyze is much more difficult to handle early. Not to forget, being under Fear makes characters run. Being held makes them dead.

Undead Hunter

On a side note, bad new for the Cavalier. Unless A64 gets his hands back on opcode 183, I and Arda tried it in every possible way, and it does not work as it should (timing mode or stacking issues depending on settings). Without it I cannot give this class PnP Shield Block (+x AC when wielding a shield), and I don't know if I like the idea of giving it a plain +x AC.

Well, all of us testing him agreed that Heroism isn't all that good. How about granting AC instead of THAC0? You can always use Bless for THAC0 boost early and AC is always nice. I wouldn't give Cavalier extra AC just "because he's Cavalier". It would be great if that opcode worked as it should, but I wouldn't mind AC bonus tied to Heroism.

Fighter's Called shot doesn't apply it's effects only on the first hit, it applies them on every hit during the round when it's activated. It's possible to disable multiple targets.
Shhh don't tell this around! ;) Anyway, yes. Without adding custom secondary types that's the best I can do. I don't remember why I didn't already (@Arda, was there a cap to how many sec type we can have?). Called Shots and Stances would indeed benefit from them, and Smite Evil too if we'll decide to make it a single hit a la 3E.