Kit Revisions Beta 20

.............? Any news?
True Ranger and Archer are ready, depending on when I get home I'll upload it either after lunch or dinner. I've tweaked a little bit the other classes as we discussed. I've also started to work on Beastmaster's Animal Companion (a panther) but it will take some time. Edited by Demivrgvs
Great. May I ask, this panther thing.....it will be implemented like a familiar (you'll be able to put it in you backpack), or as an innate ability, or it will always stand by your side?
What I'm trying to achieve is:

- always stands by your side, hopefully moving between areas too

- no silly backpack

- if the companion dies you can re-summon it after resting (conceptually it's sub-optimal, but it's the best implementation in terms of gameplay imo)

I don't want to over-complicate the thing too much for various reasons (not to mention avoiding class description madness) but considering I do not want it to look like a common summon I was thinking to give it at least two relatively simple features:

- both beastmaster and the companion gets a small bonus (e.g. +2 thac0?) when fighting close to each other

- when the master dies the companion "enrages" (not sure vice versa)

Edited by Demivrgvs

I don't want to over-complicate the thing too much for various reasons (not to mention avoiding class description madness) but considering I do not want it to look like a common summon I was thinking to give it at least two relatively simple features:

- both beastmaster and the companion gets a small bonus (e.g. +2 thac0?) when fighting close to each other

- when the master dies the companion "enrages" (not sure vice versa)

I'm all for keeping things as simple as possible, and I like the idea of them figthing better when close to each other and am not against improving this later.

However, considering the fact that not everyone plays with custom NPCs and Level1NPCs "when master dies" will mean it's game over.

Edited by Demi to cover a terrible quoted grammar typo he made. :D

Edited by Demivrgvs

I think there should be some repercussion for the Ranger when his animal companion dies. Obviously not some sort of permanent repercussion like with familiars, but some sort of temporary penalty (or enrage like you suggested) may make the animal companion less disposable than a regular summon.

Alternately, you could make the bonuses that the Ranger (or maybe just Beast Master) gains from fighting alongside his animal companion increase with level. This would also make the animal companion less disposable and more of a "companion" than a regular summon.

/*------ REVISED XP PROGRESSION ------*/
BEGIN ~Revised XP Progression~
DESIGNATED 130
COPY ~kit_rev/data/xp_table~ ~override~  // All classes uses Paladin table

Again you forgot the HLA .2da table... making the component useless without further moding.

PS, you also need to extent the xpcap.2da to 9600001 .... to reach the 40th level cap... I would recomend the 50th level cap and a -1 as the XP itself, but that's just me.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Archer gets both Tracking and Wild Empathy. Intended?
For now yes. As one of you (not sure who right now) said that keeping spellcasting helps making the kit look like a ranger kit rather than a fighter kit, the same way I thought that tracking and wild empathy are a really defining features, together with stealth. Am I wrong?

The Stalker will get better stealth and tracking skills (either from the start or as later upgrades), the Beastmaster will get improved animal empathy (in various forms), while the Archer has only the base ranger skills.

The True Ranger surely needs something more than it currently has imo. There's a not yet implemented Quarry almost ready to be activated within b18, new spells are a must imo (for technical reasons there's still a bunch of spells that should be removed imo, such as Armor of Faith, but I need new spells to keep a minimum amount of picks and SR to make such spells cleric only), and both Wild Empathy and Tracking need mid-level upgrades.

I hope playtesting can reveal his weak spots, and tell me how to improve what. Speaking of which, I think the class is more ready for BG1 than BG2, because of the current lack of a distinct "mid-high level gimmick". Otoh the Archer should kick asses even in BG2 imo.

Anyway, this is not the place for my wall of texts. :D

Edited by Demivrgvs

B

@Demi

Apart from Ranger and Archer, is there any other specific kit you need more feedback on? I usually run test playthroughs with 3 KR - revised kits, so I'll have room for 1 more warrior-type.

I don't know, BG1 or BG2?

Both, I guess.

@Demi

Apart from Ranger and Archer, is there any other specific kit you need more feedback on? I usually run test playthroughs with 3 KR - revised kits, so I'll have room for 1 more warrior-type.

I don't know, BG1 or BG2?
Why don't you just assume that they try to play the whole BGT experience and ... ouh yeah, you forgot the HLA's again... so that's a no, great. It's not like it's intergated part of the game.... yes, that's irony. Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Why don't you just assume that they try to play the whole BGT experience and ... ouh yeah, you forgot the HLA's again... so that's a no, great. It's not like it's intergated part of the game.... yes, that's irony.

Thinking about HLA's, class which suffers the most delay is monk. Given the abilities they get instead (most notably Slow Time and 19th level Ki pool upgrades) it's kind of balanced out.