hp tables

kreso

Are class hp tables "locked" in terms of tweaking them, or is the HP/level amount easilly changeble? (I.e. lower HP gain from 1st-9th level, but more balanced overall - example priests would roll 1d6 per level up to level 20). Possible, codable, already exists?

Iirc it's hardcoded that only the first 9 levels (priests and warriors) or 10 levels (rogues and mages) receive con bonus.

You could try altering the following 2DA files: HPMONK, HPPRS, HPROG, HPWAR, HPWIZ and setting the "modifier" column to zero up till the desired level and adding more dice instead, it will look a bit strange though to get the extra die without the con bonus...

Edit: Yeah, just tested, 19th level cleric with no con bonus and created on easy difficulty for max rolls has 120 hp - including the extra die for being a Bhaalspawn - add DUHM and he's at 138, rather than 158.

Also, would you really want to give 20-ish level characters more hp and fragile low-level characters less?

Also, would you really want to give 20-ish level characters more hp and fragile low-level characters less?

Well, I don't really like the way BG handles HP - going to level 2 doubles your HP, and then you suddenly get almost nothing for levels above 9. Another problem with high HP pools in BG1 is that mahes simply cannot kill characters with huge HP - they lack the damage to do so.

Come ToB, you see characters dying in a matter of seconds, which I also dislike - so yes, I'd give more HP to end-game chars.

Is that true? Not CON bonus applied to HP after a character exceeds the level at which dice are normally rolled? Wow, that's poor. If I was modding HP, I'd include CON bonus for all classes, at every level, with no cap, because that would benefit higher levels, were you normally get only a couple points per level or so.

.You could try altering the following 2DA files: HPMONK, HPPRS, HPROG, HPWAR, HPWIZ and setting the "modifier" column to zero up till the desired level and adding more dice instead, it will look a bit strange though to get the extra die without the con bonus...

I wasn't thinking that.

Example rolls:

Warrior - gains 2d3 +4 per level (max 10), about 200+ HP at level 20

Barbarian - gains 2d3 +5 per level (max 11)

Mage - 1d3 +1 per level (max 4)

etc.

This way, one would keep the minimum roll for HP (even gain more on average probably on Core rules), but overall gain would slowed to a more reasnable values.

I'd keep the bonus, but tone the roll down slightly, up to level 20. I wouldn't allow for more HP to be gained after level 20 anyway.

I doubt the caps are hardcoded, as you can easily see them in the tables — dice rolls go to zero

Have you tried changing them ? They are hard coded ... change them, and find out that you can't tweak them as you like !

I doubt the caps are hardcoded, as you can easily see them in the tables — dice rolls go to zero

Have you tried changing them ? They are hard coded ... change them, and find out that you can't tweak them as you like !

Specifically, you can change the die size and num of rolls, you can change the flat hp bonus per level by class (or replace it with extra dice) and you can change the amount of bonus hp granted by high con, but the vanilla BG2 engine will still only assign the constitution bonuses (whatever they are) up to level 9 (or 10 for rogues and mages).

Iirc it's hardcoded that only the first 9 levels (priests and warriors) or 10 levels (rogues and mages) receive con bonus.

There is a tweak for this in TobEx I'm quite certain; giving full HP gain to level 10 for all classes (i.e. not only limited to rogues and mages).

EDIT: I was under the impression that it was only thieves gaining full HP to level 10, though I've never checked it, you sure mages do to?

Archived