SR V4 Open Beta (last update 25 October 2018)

Obscuring Mist

The +2 AC penalty just makes every fight with it even easier consider lowering this to +1. It is now far better than Defensive Harmony since the AI doesn't move out of it. Maybe there should be an attatched missile AC bonus for being in the cloud. This should curb it's power at lower levels. It's by far the best spell up to chapter 5 in BGT so far and you get so many.

This actually makes sense. Also it will add even more utility to this spell (i.e. protecting your own party from enemy archers).

Guys, maybe I'm missing something but I don't follow you. How can a -2 AC penalty turn this spell into a Defensive Harmony variant? EVERYONE, enemies and allies, suffer -2 penalty to AC and -2 penalty to melee attacks, which means they sort of negate each other. An enemy within the cloud doesn't actually have a harder time hitting you in melee.

Otoh, everyone suffer an additional -4 penalty to ranged attacks (btw, giving enemies such penalty is the same thing as giving AC bonus vs such attacks to allies). Ranged combat within the cloud is hampered for both enemies and allies.

What am I missing?

I don't know how long it's been since you've actually played, but BG1 is all about ranged weapons and BG2 until halfway through they are still very powerful. What you are missing is that you don't cast it on your own party, you cast it on your enemy and your one melee tank that is keeping them all together. Since the AI doesn't know to move out and the blindness prevents them from being able to switch targets to other party members they stand in the cloud getting shot to death with your melee tank (while the tank is similarly affected, even with Item Randomizer you get a anti-blindness helmet very early in both BG1 and BG2 with Item Revisions so it doesn't affect them for long). The +2 Bonus to AC just makes it easier to kill higher AC enemies with your archers. They are getting combined 8-10 attacks a round while your tank at best is getting 3/2 or 2 so it doesn't matter.

Edited by zenblack

anti-blindness helmet

That helmet does nothing vs Obscuring Mist, unless you tweaked it yourself.

The spell should be probably tweaked so that creatures within the cloud get a significant AC bonus vs missiles (it should provide "cover" from missile fire).

anti-blindness helmet

The spell should be probably tweaked so that creatures within the cloud get a significant AC bonus vs missiles (it should provide "cover" from missile fire).

Except prevent the blindness effect unless it's just the icon it prevents. I admit I didn't turn on tobex's verbose to hit rolls to check yet.

Edited by zenblack

anti-blindness helmet

Except prevent the blindness effect unless it's just the icon it prevents. I admit I didn't turn on tobex's verbose to hit rolls to check yet.

I don't know if I changed this myself for my game (not very likely), or Demi did for the downloadable version (highly likely) - but in my game Watcher's helm indeed makes one immune to Mist.

Obscuring Mist

Oooh, now I see what I was missing: casting OB from afar and being able to keep the party out of it while still in range to attack those inside. Mmm...what about reducing the spell's range? It's centered on caster in PnP, but for AI sake it needs to keep a target, still, short (10 feet) range instead of long range (30') could partially solve the issue, no? Alternatively, or on top of the above, its AoE could be extended from 20' radius to 30' (as all vanilla clouds).

Regarding the other exploit, using arrows from outside the cloud, now I see that giving those inside the cloud a bonus to AC vs. missiles is actually better than the current penalty to ranged attack rolls. That should make ranged attacks less effective both within the cloud and from outside it, no?

I'm busy on KR right now (should be out within few days) but packging a new SR build with few adjustments would be simple if you think it's worth testing the new solution asap.

Edited by Demivrgvs

I think that adding both is a good start. The question of the ranged bonus AC is just how much you feel is appropriate for a Lv1 spell. You might also consider lowering the duration to 5 rounds. I would state that the AI uses this spell like it used Blindness so it thinks that it will protect it from melee. You might want to consider removing that AC penalty for melee otherwise the AI will be using it improperly and it isn't unrealistic to think that even fighting melee in a thick fog things would be less accurate.

I did want to say that Waves of Exhaustion works like a charm and seems to work for the AI as a CC measure even though it isn't as potent as Chaos (overpowered as it is in vanilla). I haven't played enough to say it works for all the mage encounters since Chaos is integral part of every mage script. It may need a buff in terms of some of the penalties but it is better than I thought it would be out of the gate.

Edit: Might as well let you know that Detect Alignment still has Lv2 in the description while I'm at it.

Edited by zenblack

Waves have a few crucial benefits over Chaos for the AI:

1) no save is allowed

2) no item will protect you against it

3) Chaotic Commands don't stop it

Given that AI grunts usually have worse saves, don't carry Equilzer and don't use CC on fighters - this spell is pure win for AI over Chaos.

Hi, everybody. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to BG2, although I've played more than my share of tabletop 2nd edition and 3.0/3.5. I was disappointed to find that Spell Revision didn't work with BG2EE, and came here to ask for an invite to the closed beta. I'll be sure to give feedback.

@Pax_Empyrean, PM sent. ;)

@zenblack, Detect Alignment typo fixed thanks.

Waves of Fatigue

Wow, I actually wasn't expecting so many positive opinions on WoF considering it replaces the fan favorite Chaos. Cool! :)

You guys pretty much summarized all the reasons that got me to both move Chaos at higher levels and introduce WoF.

Is Blood Rage from SR or from IWD? That spell is... crazy...

If it's SR, it needs a reduced casting time. If it's IWD, please ignore this.

It's in IWD as both Blood and Animal Rage, I assume they are both a lots alike, but different. IWDfication has the Animal version. So your's is the SR one, as the v4 divine spells thread indicates.

Or you play the IWD:EE, in which case it comes from there. Duh.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

Waves of Fatigue

It should also Display String:Fatigued.

Mmm...does EE use the same string reference?

Animal/Blood Range

Is Blood Rage from SR or from IWD? That spell is... crazy...

If it's SR, it needs a reduced casting time. If it's IWD, please ignore this.

It's in IWD as both Blood and Animal Rage, I assume they are both a lots alike, but different. IWDfication has the Animal version. So your's is the SR one, as the v4 divine spells thread indicates.

SR doesn't add any new rage spell, at least not yet.