SR V4 Open Beta (last update 25 October 2018)

What about making the Wand of MM cast the MM .spl file at a set level? That would end this problem very easily (just a blind suggestion--I have no idea if this won't cause other issues).

Seconded. It would cause Cowled wizards to appear in BG2, but (imo) they should; since you are using magic.

How do the other wands/items that cast spells do though? We wouldn't want internal inconsistency...

Not that good. I already said to Demi that making items use real spells would be much better, and much less time consuming in the end - changes with SR wouldn't affect how IR items preform.

Alas, apperantly people would be bothered by the fact that using items would attract Wizards, so he's reluctant to do it. I do it locally on my game, Cowlies be damned. They *should* appear, since you *are* casting spells (from items, but it's imo the same deal), same as they do when you cast from scrolls or memory.

If a description of an item states "...can cast Fireshield 1xday" I want it to cast a proper Fireshield, not a mimickry which works differently.

not a mimickry which works differently.

And what of the items that allow a non-caster class char to cast a spell ? That involves mimicry. Fortunately the #148 opcode gives us the casting level to be set in the item, so I am almost for this. Erhm, the item itself could say whether it abides this rule though.

I agree - the Cowled Wizards regulate magic use, do you think they won't care if some yokel is tearing up the town with a wand of fireballs??

If necessary, you could always duplicate the spell at install time, setting it as a priest spell, and make the wand cast that one instead. That wouldn't attract the CW.

Edited by subtledoctor

And what of the items that allow a non-caster class char to cast a spell ?

Imoen casts magic missiles at Irenicus even if she isn't dual-classed. They still take her, and don't really care I made her a Drow Battle Mongrel or whatever. :D

Imoen casts magic missiles at Irenicus even if she isn't dual-classed. They still take her, and don't really care I made her a Drow Battle Mongrel or whatever. :D

She IS a dualed mage in teh original game... whatever you use to make her not to be, it's not original content. And she'll cast them even if she has no magic missile wands equipped. .. point being that the magic missile she throws could very well be an innate power the player is never shown that she has.

it's not original content.

Neither is Item Revisions.

magic missile she throws could very well be an innate power the player is never shown that she has.

Sure. She apperantly has but one use of it, doesn't recharge after resting. :p

Wands

Ook, let's sort this out.

Making wands using the actual spwi###.spl spells was the first thing I did ages ago, but I got plenty of complains from players who didn't liked the change to make Cowled Wizards to appear. Let's assume for now I have no problems with that behaviour (it actually make sense for them to not accept that), but why would they be mad about wands and not about all other items with X per day spells which are clearly not divine? Should I suddenly make all that stuff count as arcane spells too?

Furthermore, many wands actually don't mimick any pre-existing spell (take for example Wand of Frost, of Paralysis, of Cursing) and some are clearly customized versions and not just wannabe copies (Wand of Lightning). Why should I make some wands cast perfect copies of mage spells while half of them wouldn't anyway?

I opted for creating custom spl for all wands because I felt it was giving a decent level of consistency without changing too many things:

a) Cowled Wizards appear when mages cast spells of their own, but accept spells cast from wands just as they accept all other spell-like abilities from items or classes

b) all wands are free to be considered semi-customized

If I had to design BG from the ground, I think I'd prefer:

a) Cowled Wizards to appear when ANY spell-like ability is cast, unless of divine source

b) ALL wands to use copies of actual mage spells

The problem with that is that it involves way too much changes and work. I don't think it's worth the effort, and many players could actually complain about the new behaviour.

I see your point, Demi.

But what could be done is this: make those wands that duplicate an arcane spell use the actual spell. Make all those wands that have any arcane magic as source (Wand of Paralysis, Frost, Curse, etc.) still trigger the Cowled Wizards' intervention.

Let them also intervene not when somebody is wearing X / day abilities items but only if such ability is used and is fueled by arcane magic.

This would remove inconsistencies and would make the behavior of the Cowled Wizards consistent all through the game.

If all this is too much work perhaps kreso can be of help since he already customized the game to work more or less this way.

Whether we personally prefer it or not, fact is lots and lots of players will have conniptions if using wands calls down the CW. (Frankly I think *any* public magic use of *any* spurce should alert them, *including* any divine magic not used in a duly licensed and recognized temple.)

Easy enough to copy a spell, tag the copy as divine magic, and have the wand cast the divine variant at whatever level you want. (I usually have the wand of MM spit two missiles instead of one.)

As an aside, if anything, I think the Lightning Bolt wizard spell should mimic the Wand of Lightning - not the other way around.

(Frankly I think *any* public magic use of *any* spurce should alert them, *including* any divine magic not used in a duly licensed and recognized temple.)

I agree kinda mostly... whether i like it or not.. its not really consistent and doesnt make sense unless all arcane magic spells/wands rings.. amulets anything that cast a spell like effect ..should trigger them.. maybe even divine too if its not use in a temple.. until the lisc..err worthiness is proven

Edited by bradinmemph