BG1 equippable items: what we need...

Salk

I think there is a serious lack of boots as well in BG1. The fact that there are 5 (!) in total when you have 6 party members doesn't seem sufficient. Heck, not 6 would seems sufficient to me since you can still miss getting some and some variation and choice is still nice.

We have plenty of rings and amulets, a good number of helmets and armors... but belts and boots are too few.

And by the way, I would welcome also one magic katana and club... :)

I'm not too much into idea that everyone needs magical boots on their feet; especially in BG1.

(just remembered - there's also Boots of Avoidance! There you go - 6 pairs total! :D )

T-up for katana and club. Iirc, BG1UB adds Root of the Problem to druid area, the problem is that with IR only druids can use it. Justifying a (magical) katana in BG1 setting is another issue...

BG1UB adds Root of the Problem to druid area, the problem is that with IR only druids can use it. Justifying a (magical) katana in BG1 setting is another issue...

You have a full freedom to complain to Demi about the Root.

Katana's in BG1 areas, what's so compliated about that ? Is it that's in Earth a Eastern weapon, and not a Western ? Did you forget that the game is placed on Faerûn ? The cultures are not anything alike, that is part what makes it a fantasy game.

It's a matter of finding ludicrous that by the end of BG there are still empty slots on my characters because there are not enough items of that kind to wear.

So yes, I believe it'd IR's job to remedy that.

I just think your use of the word "ludicrous" to describe that is, well, ludicrous.

There are what, 10 equipment slots for stuff to be on the PC's body? is 3 more weapon slots us 3 ammo slots. The idea that in a low-level campaign like BG1, a DM would shower a group with 16x6=96 powerful magical items is ludicrous. The amount of magical items BG1 gives the player is already ludicrous. (I've discussed in other places my opinion that Bioware is a horrible DM.) And if you want more phat lewt (or however you spell that) then there are tons of mods for that sort of thing. So, I just don't see a problem that is the "job" of IR to remedy.

IMHO!

The idea that in a low-level campaign like BG1, a DM would shower a group with 16x6=96 powerful magical items is ludicrous.

Well, no body said they had to be powerful items.

And the fact that DM sould shower the party with 200 000 gold with nothing worth to buy, sells your idea short quite well, of the games DMs rationality.

As I said, I think the game's DM is absolutely terrible. Far from "selling my idea short," your post completely supports what I'm saying.

Incidentally, in addition to adding a bunch of enchanted boots to the game, Aurora's also includes some great options to reduce the insane amount of gold rewards the player gets. That, plus replacing +1enchanted weapons with masterwork weapons, plus having most of my party wear belts to hold their pants up instead of for some magical benefit, all make the game better imho.

If anything, I'd love to see more items in the game that are interesting and useful, but not actually enchanted.

The idea that in a low-level campaign like BG1, a DM would shower a group with 16x6=96 powerful magical items is ludicrous. The amount of magical items BG1 gives the player is already ludicrous. (I've discussed in other places my opinion that Bioware is a horrible DM.)

I am not sure I understand your protest here and what is ludicrous to me might be not for you and vice versa.

I find, in fact, already an oddity to talk about DM within a cRPG and I find you are missing the point with turning this into a math formula.

The slots there are meant to be filled. They are not a decoration. It has nothing to do with the power of the items nor with the level of challenge of the game but the fact that I finished my Baldur's Gate game, doing practically all side quests, with two party members ending without a belt or a pair of boots on their feet (granted, I might have missed something but, as I said, I covered the vast majority of the game).

To me the belt could also be just a container for scrolls and I would be still satisfied of its existence.

Demi has already said he has also reasoned along this line. Mike1072 said he would also welcome some additions. Are we all crazy?

what is ludicrous to me might be not for you and vice versa.

The slots there are meant to be filled.

I agree 100% with the first statement; that's why I sprinkled "imho" around my post. But I disagree with the 2nd statement, and I don't think it's "ludicrous" to do so. If there are 3 belts and 6 party members, they all have belt slots so that you can give the belt to whoever can benefit from it. They don't all need to be filled.

Of course, by the time you're in TOB and you've reached epic levels and completed a career's worth of quests, sure, it's reasonable to be covered head-to-toe in magical accoutrements. But at the end of BG1 you're still a relatively inexperienced adventurer. If the game gave enough magic weapons for everyone (because this game is mostly about fighting) and only 1-2 magical belts, cloaks, bracers, helmets and boots to spread among your crew, I would find that perfectly reasonable.

I actually find it really refreshing to start BG2 in the cells, and have at least one quest where you're performance is defined more by your character and abilities, instead of by the gear you've collected.

Demi and Mike can of course do whatever they want. That's reasonable too. I just don't think they should feel compelled by anything except their own tastes and inclinations.

If there are 3 belts and 6 party members, they all have belt slots so that you can give the belt to whoever can benefit from it. They don't all need to be filled.

Sorry but I don't understand.

Of course they don't need to be filled. Not even the quick slots need to be filled, nor the quick items, nor the slots for spells... I am saying that it's really odd to play an entire game and finish it with some party members still not wearing any item.

Of course, by the time you're in TOB and you've reached epic levels and completed a career's worth of quests, sure, it's reasonable to be covered head-to-toe in magical accoutrements. But at the end of BG1 you're still a relatively inexperienced adventurer.

Baldur's Gate is a game in its own right. How the sequel builds and expands on it, raising levels and adding power is not a factor. Not to mention that nowhere did I say the added belts and/or boots should be magical in nature. And even if they were magical, they wouldn't need to be unique artifacts although I would welcome some original ideas other than "+50% resistance to piercing damage" or "+20% bonus to Move Silently".

If the game gave enough magic weapons for everyone (because this game is mostly about fighting) and only 1-2 magical belts, cloaks, bracers, helmets and boots to spread among your crew, I would find that perfectly reasonable.

I wouldn't.

I also have hard time understanding that you find correct to provide magical weapons in abundance (because it's mostly a fighting game) but want to have restrictions on the number of other items that still are geared towards use in battle. Hence, many magical swords, yes but many magical belts that, for instance, improve my AC, no?

Demi and Mike can of course do whatever they want. That's reasonable too. I just don't think they should feel compelled by anything except their own tastes and inclinations.

I provide feedback, not compelling anybody. You disagreed with what I said, fine by me.

The amount of magical items BG1 gives the player is already ludicrous. (I've discussed in other places my opinion that Bioware is a horrible DM.)

This is much less on Bioware than the Forgettable Realms themselves. It's so ingrained now that the term "Monty Haul" is rarely used anymore, when it was once a joke to be avoided by DMs. Fantasy RPG comics used to joke about "+2 Pens of Illegible Writing" and such, because anything and everything that could be enchanted probably was. FR is deliberately magic-heavy. The merit of that is no longer a consideration as long as the setting demands -- nay, expects -- it.

If anything, I'd love to see more items in the game that are interesting and useful, but not actually enchanted.

I would love this...

Sorry, but I do not understand what kind of item it is then if it's not enchanted ?

See an item that is done with knowledge is classified as enchanted in the Toril. Just like if you make a stick you use for something here on Earth, it's a technological 'invention', because... knowledge.

What, you can't have well-designed burglars' tools? Only one identical class of burglars' tools, and then various enchanted ones? There's no space in the setting for craftsmanship?

There's so much more that could be done, than 'combat bonus X, combat bonus Y, and combat bonus Z... snd everyone better have at least six combat bonus items!!!

I am saying that it's really odd to play an entire game and finish it with some party members still not wearing any item.

Ya, I get that's what you're saying. I'm saying, I disagree.

I provide feedback, not compelling anybody. You disagreed with what I said, fine by me.

Except you're the one who literally said it's the job of IR to add stuff to the game so that it meets your preferences. I only said 1) your preferences while perfectly valid, are not universal; and 2) it's not IR's job to follow your preferences. From what I've seen you are a very capable modder and can add more items to the game of you feel it needs them. Demi should only add more items if his preferences demand it.

Personally, I'm much more interested in seeing this puppy released, than having a round of adding 15 new items, reaching out for feedback and beta-testing, revising them, more beta, etc., and suddenly it's 2018. IRv4 is awesome, let's get it out. There are plenty if item kids out there that work perfectly well with it and add exactly the type of stuff you specifically asked for. I already mentioned one.

What, you can't have well-designed burglars' tools? Only one identical class of burglars' tools, and then various enchanted ones? There's no space in the setting for craftsmanship?

Sorry, but craftmanship is in FR classified as magic, not don't be disenhancted by the notion of what this says. And yes, there can be only one sort of "burglars' tools", but don't worry, if you need to different kinds of tools, there's plenty, say lock pick belt(+x to lock picking skill), mufling belt(+y to silent movement ). Etc.

These items do not have to have any battle enhancements to the items... so we are actually all asking the same thing, you are just hanging yourself to the one word that might likely actually mean something entirely different on your language than ours.

Yes, a +1 sword is not a result of a magician casting spells on an normal sword, but more of the smiths work with his skill, material and so on.

Archived