IR Revised V1.3.800 (2022 January 11th)

18 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I see no problem with simply removing all +1 weapons from the game...

In BG1 I think it serves a purpose to leave a few around, given that there are some monsters that can't be harmed by nonmagical weapons (and given that there are few enough magic weapons that finding one is cool).

54 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I see no problem with simply removing all +1 weapons from the game... 😛  

I hate it from a conceptual standpoint. All minor magical weapons from the entire universe just disappeared, but +2 weapons and +1 armors/shields are all still around? Weird as hell. So I would keep with the IR/SCS behavior of having the original item replaced, but then...

1. Mildly reduce the prices of the masterwork weapons - it'd be good for the game economy anyways, given the mass influx of easy gold in especially BG2.
2. Do a mass scan of all stores that sell any generic +2 weapons and patch in the separate +1 weapons before them (so masterwork, +1, and +2 weapons could all be available for sale, making it so that +1 weapons aren't mysteriously missing).
3. Hand-pick some appropriate replacements for some creatures, quests, and areas that were previously +1, with an intent focus on where it actually makes sense to have enchanted weapons.

This would be what I'd have to for me to consider using it myself. +1 weapons must continue to exist, just in much lesser quantities and availability compared to the current situation of these games. I'm not sure exactly how far SCS goes with it...

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I hate it from a conceptual standpoint. All minor magical weapons from the entire universe just disappeared, but +2 weapons and +1 armors/shields are all still around?

+1 everything becomes masterwork everything. Weapons, armor, everything. I think the concept is great - actual enchanted gear becomes rare and powerful. Just need to change the “+2” in the strings so that it doesn’t imply a missing “+1.” (My mod does exactly this -  and, not for nothing, there is a version that changes +2 items into masterwork as well...)

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Do a mass scan of all stores that sell any generic +2 weapons and patch in the separate +1 weapons before them (so masterwork, +1, and +2 weapons could all be available for sale)

This is the worst possibility for me. Just have a nice shopping trip to Diagon Alley and decide whether you want socks +1, socks +2, or socks +3. Puke. The commodification of what should be sublime. 

Oof, I sound like temnix. I’ll stop now. :laugh2:

7 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

+1 everything becomes masterwork everything. Weapons, armor, everything. I think the concept is great - actual enchanted gear becomes rare and powerful. Just need to change the “+2” in the strings so that it doesn’t imply a missing “+1.” (My mod does exactly this -  and, not for nothing, there is a version that changes +2 items into masterwork as well...)

This is the worst possibility for me. Just have a nice shopping trip to Diagon Alley and decide whether you want socks +1, socks +2, or socks +3. Puke. The commodification of what should be sublime. 

Well, that's a different situation entirely from IR/SCS' masterwork/fine weapons stuff. Your situation is very...un-AD&D and not really what I want in a high magic world either, but at least there's some sense and consistency to it. But I'm just imagining stores having all the different +1 and +2 armors and shields, then masterwork and +2 weapons while +1 weapons are just inexplicably missing and for some reason it's just impossible to find anything +1.

What do your masterwork shields and armors even get in comparison to +0/+1 anyways?

I'm using Scales' enchantment tweaks, and honestly by the time BG2 rolls around you get more than enough good named enchanted weapons to use pretty quickly anyway. Before you leave Chateau Irenicus you already have a good +2 sword with IRR buffing the vamp (Blade of Chaos) which with Scales hits at +3. Even if you're not using the enchant tweaks, you can grab Lilarcor pretty easily even early on for a +3 sword. Arnise Keep gives the +3 flail of ages. Some of the rarer item types can be harder to grab stuff for (halberds, katanas)

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Your situation is very...un-AD&D and not really what I want in a high magic world

Vigorously disagree. Low-magic settings are hardly “un-AD&D.” Dragonlance, anyone? Dark Sun? Any of the green-book “historical” settings? And even high-magic settings pale in comparison the the absurdity of the BG campaign, which both figuratively and literally spits magic items at you as if from a vending machine. Even if you erase every generic +1 and +2 item from the game, you still end up with more magic items than you could ever actually use, less than halfway through SoA

It might change the balance of the very early game a bit (before you get Varscona), so I deem masterwork items to be crafted from special and exotic materials that are less prone to breaking and can harm creatures like vampiric wolves. A simple balance fix, while keeping real enchantments a bit more special than the stuff you can buy at the Nashkel Corner Store. 

Not saying IR should do this. Just saying it can work perfectly well and actually improve the flavor of the game’s magic economy. 

Edited by subtledoctor
5 hours ago, Guest Alkaid said:

Has IR considered adding entirely new (to BG) named items into types that are underrepresented or have few good options? Or would that be outside its scope?

Not really - the only thing it does really straight up add is The Flail of Submission +2, and I can only surmise that was because there was no unique +2 flail in the game (and the only unique +3 is the Flail of Ages).

9 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

Vigorously disagree. Low-magic settings are hardly “un-AD&D.” Dragonlance, anyone? Dark Sun? Any of the green-book “historical” settings? And even high-magic settings pale in comparison the the absurdity of the BG campaign, which both figuratively and literally spits magic items at you as if from a vending machine. Even if you erase every generic +1 and +2 item from the game, you still end up with more magic items than you could ever actually use, less than halfway through SoA

It might change the balance of the very early game a bit (before you get Varscona), so I deem masterwork items to be crafted from special and exotic materials that are less prone to breaking and can harm creatures like vampiric wolves. A simple balance fix, while keeping real enchantments a bit more special than the stuff you can buy at the Nashkel Corner Store. 

Not saying IR should do this. Just saying it can work perfectly well and actually improve the flavor of the game’s magic economy. 

Yes, I'm primarily considering BG2 which is obviously a *very* high magic setting and where it would be...very difficult to turn back the dial. Even if you start erasing all the +1/+2 items, there are still tons of other unique items. For BG1, what I said earlier about stores literally wouldn't even apply, because no stores sell +2 items to begin with (...I think?), so there would be no need to introduce +1 items back (if they were even there to begin with), so that'd be fine.

@Bartimaeus Newest Version has parsing error

ERROR Installing [Item Revisions by Demivrgvs], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  29 files for [ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled     29 files for [ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2] component 0.
ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error
Please submit a report regarding this problem, including the information contained in SETUP-ITEM_REV.DEBUG and look for support at: Bartimaeus in the IR Revised thread at forums.gibberlings3.net
Automatically Skipping [Item Revisions by Demivrgvs] because of error.
Using Language [English]
weidu_external/lang/english/ubsetup.tra file not found. Skipping...

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Item Revisions by Demivrgvs

E:\BGT\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: parsing [item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra]: Parsing.Parse_error

7 hours ago, Hubal said:

@Bartimaeus Newest Version has parsing error

ERROR Installing [Item Revisions by Demivrgvs], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall  29 files for [ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2] component 0.
Uninstalled     29 files for [ITEM_REV/ITEM_REV.TP2] component 0.
Please submit a report regarding this problem, including the information contained in SETUP-ITEM_REV.DEBUG and look for support at: Bartimaeus in the IR Revised thread at forums.gibberlings3.net
Automatically Skipping [Item Revisions by Demivrgvs] because of error.
Using Language [English]
weidu_external/lang/english/ubsetup.tra file not found. Skipping...

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Item Revisions by Demivrgvs

E:\BGT\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition>

ERROR: parsing [item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra]: Parsing.Parse_error

Uh...I do not know what "ubsetup.tra" (Unfininished Business setup?) is nor can I find any reference to it after doing a complete file search of every single file in all of IR. What game are you attempting to install on? (e): According to your game folder, EET. I just rolled up a new EET game and everything installed fine. What's your weidu.log look like?

Edited by Bartimaeus
Guest Obtuse User

I get a similar error (with latest github commits):

[item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra] LEXER ERROR at line 6844 column 1-6
Near Text: :
        invalid character [:]

[item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra]  ERROR at line 6844 column 1-6
        Parsing.Parse_error
Stopping installation because of error.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

1 hour ago, Guest Obtuse User said:

I get a similar error (with latest github commits):

[item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra] LEXER ERROR at line 6844 column 1-6
        invalid character [:]

[item_rev/languages/english/item_descriptions_ee.tra]  ERROR at line 6844 column 1-6
        Parsing.Parse_error
Stopping installation because of error.

Let me know if I can provide anything else.

This affects the special "EE-ized descriptions" option only. The issue is that there's a random "Weight: 0" in between description entries, which can actually be deleted entirely. Somehow must've accidentally inserted it when I was adding weight lines to everything. Fixed it, thank you!

Edited by Bartimaeus