Future tweak ideas - post 'em here

Guest Morgoth
On 7/18/2022 at 1:22 PM, Graion Dilach said:

EET_Tweaks has a one-time area spawn component already which works with everything onwards from BG2 AFAICT.

I didn't know. Hopefully it is what I'm looking for 😛
No more 200 kobolds spawning out after having killed the first back just because you didn't have vision of the spawning spot ..

On 7/19/2022 at 6:31 AM, Thels said:

There's an unfortunate side effect of using "Commoners use Drab Colors" and Xan's quest in BG1 NPC Project. David Jansen performs an illusion act where he displays six gnomes in six different colors, requests you to focus on one of them, and then claims to know which one you were focused on. He makes them disappear, and then makes five of them reappear, except for the one you were focused on.

If this module is installed, then all of them wear outfits in two shades of gray, breaking the illusion. Would it be possible to ignore these gnomes?

To get this event:

- Recruit Xan and keep him in the party.

- Travel to the Nashkel Carnival, and in the armor tent (the rectangular one), buy a bag of grain and a bag of turnips.

- Travel to the North Nashkel Road, and follow the road. You should run into David Jansen and two Ogres.

- Give the Ogres some diet tips, and they'll eventually wander off. As a thanks, David gives you the show.

Looking into this, these are the default coloring of these characters. Drab Colors isn't changing anything here.

Guest Morgoth

Some tweaks request:

Restore Old poison weapon -->  This component should make the Poison Weapon ability of Blackguards and Assassins work exactly like it used to in BG:EE v1.3.

Restore Infinite Algernon cloak --> In the original BG1, Algernon's Cloak had infinite uses. The devs decided to nerf it to one use/day for some reason. While the Nymph Cloak still has a practically bottomless supply of charges (100 max)

Restore old bard song area. In version 2.0 the devs changed all of the bard songs so that they only affected those within a 30' radius of the singing bard, which is about the same area of effect as a fireball. In version 1.3 and earlier all of the songs (excluding the jester's) would automatically hit only the 6 party members no matter how far away they were or even if they were in a different area.

Enchant the Missile Launchers:  --> This small patch grabs every magical missile launcher in the game (slings, crossbows, and the various bows) and applies an effect that allows them to use their listed enchantment levels, regardless of what ammunition is being used with them.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, Guest Morgoth said:

Enchant the Missile Launchers:  --> This small patch grabs every magical missile launcher in the game (slings, crossbows, and the various bows) and applies an effect that allows them to use their listed enchantment levels, regardless of what ammunition is being used with them

There is already a mod that does this. It’s called (wait for it) “Enchant the Launchers.”

I actually don’t think that’s possible. Aren’t wild surges hard-coded to happen for the wild mage kit?

EDIT - I suppose you could remove the automatic wild surge from NRD (so use any 1st-level slots to cast any known spell?) snd then put it into the spellbook of a regular mage. Boom, “wild mage” with no wild magic. 

Edited by subtledoctor
19 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I actually don’t think that’s possible. Aren’t wild surges hard-coded to happen for the wild mage kit?

As of now, it can (kind-of) be achieved by adding +99 to the wild surge threshold, so that every surge is guaranteed to "cast normally" (apart from the goofy wild surge visual- and sound effects).

So i suppose a component like this would have to do two things: a) lock wild surge table to entry #100, b) disable wild surge visuals/sounds 

Edited by cdds
none

4 hours ago, cdds said:

Another idea: component to disable/extend timers for NPC quests (or maybe, alternatively, timers for all timed quests)

Related to this, the ability to turn all time as a factor in all quests:

• NPCs no longer nag or leave over starting their associated quests (or optionally leave the nag interactions to repeat periodically as a reminder but never leave).
  • Stronghold quests that use timers have them removed, and instead you just interact with the main quest giver to receive the quests, with the next in sequence becoming available as soon as you complete the last by talking to the quest giver again, with the ability to pause indefinitely by simply not interacting with them again until you are ready.
  • Remove the risk of things like losing the thieves guild by not paying dues in time
  • Remove timers to complete quests (like the time limit to reach the Umar Hills for the first paladin stronghold quest).

After playing the game so many times these have mostly become a drag when playing.

Unrelated suggestion: Display a string when you have tried to cast a spell but are silenced - ordinarily just nothing happens, and it would be good to have a reminder in the log to avoid confusion when you haven't noticed the silenced icon.

15 hours ago, Merkabah said:

Restore the original bg1 rule of being allowed to dual class INTO a specialized mage. so you could be a fighter/conjuror 

Look at the "dual to kit" mod which can enable this on EE games.

On the pre-EE BG2 engine, I don't think this would be possible bar a kit-changing dialogue or something. For something like that, I believe the Kit Tomes mod might work, and possibly More Style for Mages as well. (I don't know if MSfM is EE-only or not.)

Edited by subtledoctor

A revision of the interaction between armor and thieving skills which I think could defensively be placed under "rule changes" as opposed to the "cheats" section:

Metal armor would disable only the "stealth" button, the "thieving skill" button in contrast would be disabled by gauntlets. Manual dexterity really shouldn't be effected by wearing a breastplate, you needn't remove all your armor to pick a lock.

Requisite .itm files to change are brac06, brac07, brac08 (cursed, included for consistency), brac09, brac10, brac19 (although only monks would normally wear them), brac21.

To compensate, helmets (not circlets or Ioun stones) could disable the "detection" button, no searching for traps or peering through illusions if your vision is obscured by a helm.