SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

SR Revised is Bartimaeus' personal project.  You happen to be posting in the thread for that.  Every other thread in this forum is for the main version of SR, there is a stickied one where you can post bugs.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

I distinctly remember that said trapped door turned the opener to stone, so that is indeed petrification.

I think most traps operate via an actual .SPL, so theoretically an effect could be added to spit out a string in the log - "Charname: begins to be petrified" or something like that.

The SR version of petrification also affects the "Imoen is Stone" mod. ( @argent77 )  I think the answer there is to use a custom spell with an actual petrification effect, instead of casting the base Flesh to Stone spell.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's too bad there isn't a petrification icon to apply to make clear the difference between hold and petrification

Maybe add a Stoneskin effect, to turn the person gray?  (If they are petrified it won't be particularly useful... and if they get to the point of being an actual statute where attacks will make it crumble/be chunked... well, I would expect it to be necessary to chip away at such a thing!

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

SR Revised is Bartimaeus' personal project.  You happen to be posting in the thread for that.  Every other thread in this forum is for the main version of SR, there is a stickied one where you can post bugs.

I think most traps operate via an actual .SPL, so theoretically an effect could be added to spit out a string in the log - "Charname: begins to be petrified" or something like that.

The SR version of petrification also affects the "Imoen is Stone" mod. ( @argent77 )  I think the answer there is to use a custom spell with an actual petrification effect, instead of casting the base Flesh to Stone spell.

Maybe add a Stoneskin effect, to turn the person gray?  (If they are petrified it won't be particularly useful... and if they get to the point of being an actual statute where attacks will make it crumble/be chunked... well, I would expect it to be necessary to chip away at such a thing!

The string addition is a good idea. Won't be particularly helpful if someone gets petrified in combat from a non-basilisk source and you're wondering why one of your characters is mysteriously permanently held, but for cases like this, it'd be useful.

IIRC, SR does not care whatsoever whether it's the original spell, a custom spell, an effect on a custom weapon, etc. - it scans everything and strips and replaces the petrification opcode.

I...think there is a color effect, but it's not as strong as Stoneskin? Yes, I just checked - it's not a stoney look, but a sort of light copper look. Hm.

@culmore I started SRR and IRR when they hadn't been updates for years as an attempt at a mass bug/oversight fix, but at some point, I started making non-fixes (i.e. design changes) while thinking "hey, this is just for me, I might as well do what I want!" before I eventually realized "wait, maybe other people would want this", by which time it was too late to decouple the two.

Edited by Bartimaeus

@Bartimaeus I know it could sound silly, but i dont understand how Spell Thrust works, specifically interraction with Minor Globe of Invulnerabilty. I am playing BG 1 atm and Spell Thrust wont affect enemies with the Globe on them. Targeting them or dropping near them to make use of radius of the spell covering 20 - nothing works. The Globe just stays there (though, according to discription, Spell Thrust should remove Globe). Experienced it with enemies like Goblin Mage at Firewine Bridge, Ghost in Durlag's Tower. I could be possibly doing something wrong but could you check if the spell works as it should at all? Thank you in advance. :) 

2 hours ago, pochesun said:

@Bartimaeus I know it could sound silly, but i dont understand how Spell Thrust works, specifically interraction with Minor Globe of Invulnerabilty. I am playing BG 1 atm and Spell Thrust wont affect enemies with the Globe on them. Targeting them or dropping near them to make use of radius of the spell covering 20 - nothing works. The Globe just stays there (though, according to discription, Spell Thrust should remove Globe). Experienced it with enemies like Goblin Mage at Firewine Bridge, Ghost in Durlag's Tower. I could be possibly doing something wrong but could you check if the spell works as it should at all? Thank you in advance. :) 

Confirmed. This is very bizarre: I was working with someone else on github fixing bugs in SR months ago and literally have written notes from when I tested anti-magic type spells to make sure that they always pierce spell protection type spells regardless of level, and yet I test it today in BG2:EE and discover that it is not the case. Ugh. Not sure where I went wrong there. Will fix.

Edited by Bartimaeus
Guest Piquero
13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@culmore I started SRR and IRR when they hadn't been updates for years as an attempt at a mass bug/oversight fix, but at some point, I started making non-fixes (i.e. design changes) while thinking "hey, this is just for me, I might as well do what I want!" before I eventually realized "wait, maybe other people would want this", by which time it was too late to decouple the two.

I don't think it's too late, you should ask to be in the SR and IR proyects, and they should let you cause you are basically the maintainer of it now, let's be honest.

The notion that your thing is different is nonsense.

2 hours ago, Guest Piquero said:

you are basically the maintainer of it now, let's be honest.

The notion that your thing is different is nonsense.

No offense to Bartimaeus, who is very meticulous and shows a lot of care about his finished product, but this is nonsense. I have submitted a bunch of bug fixes for SR, and separately I made a mod that changes the way a bunch of SR spells work. Are you suggesting that if I forcibly married my personal changes to my bug fixes, you would grant me the honorific of “maintainer of SR?” Of course not. 

Guest Piquero
1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

No offense to Bartimaeus, who is very meticulous and shows a lot of care about his finished product, but this is nonsense. I have submitted a bunch of bug fixes for SR, and separately I made a mod that changes the way a bunch of SR spells work. Are you suggesting that if I forcibly married my personal changes to my bug fixes, you would grant me the honorific of “maintainer of SR?” Of course not. 

Do you want Spell Revisions to be a finished product or not? 

Look, i'm just a casual player, modder drama doesn't interest me so Im not going to insist

Guest modder drama

there is no modder drama involved. They are two different mods. Spell revision is already finished. This is another way of balancing it

3 hours ago, Guest Piquero said:

Do you want Spell Revisions to be a finished product or not? 

Look, i'm just a casual player, modder drama doesn't interest me so Im not going to insist

Modder drama?  I have nothing but respect for Bartimaeus, even when we don't quite see eye-to-eye (which is rare).  There's no drama.  SR has made important strides lately, even after Demi and kreso have gone, implementing a buttload of fixes and moving to ADD_SPELL to improve compatibility, which was no small feat.  Bartimaeus has been very involved and helpful in moving that along, and not for nothing, with every recent update of SR - 4b16, 4b17, and 4b18 - Bartimaeus has used those new versions as the foundation for his project, and applied his tweaks on top of them.  I think that counts as a pretty good tacit endorsement of the underlying mod.  So for players, the choice is, do they want to play with SR, or with SR plus Bartimaeus' changes?  It’s no different from the choice between playing with SR, or SR plus “SubtleDoc’s Random Tweaks.” My extra mod just happens to have a Weidu installer and a less confusing name.

As an aside: I would be perfectly happy if Bartimaeus were to take over more or less kreso's position as the primary maintainer of the mod... he certainly has the requisite drive, skills, and judgment.  But that comes with strings attached - mostly, structural separation of personal changes.  He didn't want to deal with those strings, and that's a reasonable choice.

But to the first point, if you're concerned about a "finished product," well a) SRR and IRR are hardly finished, just look at the frequency of fixes and changes in these threads; and b) SR and IR are in very good shape.  I and others are playing with them now, and they are great (especially with the bevy of fixes I just submitted for IR).

Edited by subtledoctor

True... all for lack of an updated readme. 

But OTOH it’s not like SRR has the readme that SR lacks, or something like that. 

Btw this confusion is more or less exactly why I suggested breaking out the changes and giving them their own Weidu installer (and maybe a name that’s more easily distinguishable). Just sayin’.

13 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Confirmed. This is very bizarre: I was working with someone else on github fixing bugs in SR months ago and literally have written notes from when I tested anti-magic type spells to make sure that they always pierce spell protection type spells regardless of level, and yet I test it today in BG2:EE and discover that it is not the case. Ugh. Not sure where I went wrong there. Will fix.

All cool. Thank you. Just curious if any other similar spells (like affecting magic protection ones) works properly. I think its worth checking. I am not sure i will be able to test those for next several days (during daylight i am busy, and evenings i am doing BG run :) ). Next week probably i could check those and report if i notice any abberations. But its probably more effective if you check it on your side as well :). 

Also i once wrote about Potion of Absorbstion duration and its discription discrepancy in IRR thread. Just a reminder in case you have not had an opportunity to check it.

6 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

True... all for lack of an updated readme. 

But OTOH it’s not like SRR has the readme that SR lacks, or something like that. 

Btw this confusion is more or less exactly why I suggested breaking out the changes and giving them their own Weidu installer (and maybe a name that’s more easily distinguishable). Just sayin’.

Actually, I *did* update the SR readme for SRR. Maybe not arguably enough, but at least all the components and spells in their current incarnations are described, :p. Although I do need to do a checkup on the spells, since I last updated it a few months ago.

Folks, I called it IR Revised and SR Revised for a reason - they're off-shoots, not direct continuations. The thought of starting back over with either base IR or base SR after literally thousands of changes (many of which were pre-me putting it on github, so there's literally nothing to go back to) makes me want to shoot myself. IRR is even more changed than SRR - SRR was the lighter, by far, of the two projects. SRR adds 1,603 changed files on top of SR. Note: changed files - files that I made changes to from base SR, because that's the entire reason normal SR has to be extracted to the game directory before you can stick SRR on top of it to begin with, because I only include files *I* personally changed from the normal version of SR. The current version of SR only has 1,726 files to begin with, so that's roughly 93% of the files - it doesn't actually work out quite that way in practice due to some structural changes I've made + that SR has made as of the last few betas (plus SR has since made some fixes that I made), but I'd estimate it's probably somewhere around 80% in actual practice. Look at just main_component.tpa here in a comparison vs. current SR's main_component.tpa, which is basically just the thing that tells weidu what files to install for just the main component (and does not even describe the files being installed themselves - that's what the thousands of other files are):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/6s2qvjf4tjixw0e/eVPcigB1W9.mp4

It's just...it's not realistic to go back - it just isn't. I understand that this setup is not ideal - really, I truly do...but that's just the nature of heavily modifying a mod that isn't yours that you initially intended to only do for yourself. This was a many year project project that has had...a lot, a lot of manhours put into it. I haven't done a full playthrough of either BG1 or BG2 in several years now. I hope to have the time for it someday soon, especially so I can get around to something I've wanted to do for a while - find places to distribute a few more spell scrolls for some of the custom scrolls I've added to the game...but I can't guarantee that I'll have time to get around to it. It is, as they say, what it is.

@pochesun Will do - will be releasing 1.3 of IRR once I feel I've gotten everything (although I've been adding fixes to the latest version of IRR on github regardless in the meanwhile).

Edited by Bartimaeus

I got 2 questions. In SRR ini.settings there is "= 1 // set to 0 to make globes of invulnerability not be dispelled by Dispel/Remove Magic".

1) So, presumably, by default Globes can be dispelled by Remove Magic and Dispel but its not happening in my default installation.

2) When Globes became susceptible to Dispell and Remove magic and what was logic behind the change, since I believe in unmodded BG EE Globes can not be dispelled by Dispell and Remove magic. I am not objecting the change, just curious :)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/4e8h6xeb1rbiu4j/InLyY0GAdT.mp4

Haven't made any changes to Globes/DIspel Magic recently, and this is a fresh installation of SRR. Took a few tries, but that's the nature of Dispel Magic.

The vanilla description of MGoI specifically says this at the end: "The globe can be brought down by a Dispel Magic spell." As far as I know, no-one's ever changed it from not being dispellable to being dispellable: it's always been that way. The reason I introduced it as an option was because a user was attempting a solo playthrough and was finding the amount of dispel spam from SCS casters to be absurd, and I believe it was a subtledoctor idea that maybe globes should not be dispellable as a way to at least protect mages.

The latest repository of SRR now has all anti-magic spells' power levels set to 0 in order to always penetrate globes (plus so it's consistent). Normal SR has a mix of anti-magics having power levels set to their correct level and set to 0, and I thought I had tested this to make sure that ones set to their correct power level would correctly pierce globes, but I think what happened is that I only tested other spell protections like Spell Deflection.