SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

Traditionally, there was no required install order between IR and SR's main components.  However, we recommended a very early install position for IR's main component, while SR's main component didn't have the same requirement.  I generally installed both main components early, with IR before SR.  Even though we didn't initially recommend a preference for which to install first, we learned later that it would be handy to define a preferred order, because then we could implement compatibility code in just one place.

11 hours ago, Mike1072 said:

Traditionally, there was no required install order between IR and SR's main components.  However, we recommended a very early install position for IR's main component, while SR's main component didn't have the same requirement.  I generally installed both main components early, with IR before SR.  Even though we didn't initially recommend a preference for which to install first, we learned later that it would be handy to define a preferred order, because then we could implement compatibility code in just one place.

And on that note, I have completed the transition of installing IR first and then SR second in the last github repository. I will be doing a full release with a proper version number increment for both IRR and SRR once I have finalized compatibility between these two and 1pp as well, with fuller instructions to follow. For the time being, if you're installing the very latest repositories, it should be:

1. Main component of IR.
  2. Main component of SR.
  3. (Non-EE only): Except for the avatar-switching script component, all of 1pp v4.1.0 with my 1pp fixes (NOT v4.2.0 - full v4.2.0 compatibility without any need for my fixes will be forthcoming in the near future). EE games do not need 1pp or to heed this step.
  4. The rest of SR after any other spell-adding components that aren't SCS and CDTweaks (i.e. all the other components should always be before SCS and CDTweaks).
  5. The rest of IR after any other item-adding components (but like above, before SCS and CDTweaks - SCS and CDTweaks should be installed after all "content" components, which should be pretty late into your install). Note that the order of #4 and #5 do not actually matter in relation to each other - you can do IR's secondary components first or SR's secondary components first, it shouldn't matter, so long as they are after other content-adding mods.
1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

And on that note, I have completed the transition of installing IR first and then SR second in the last github repository. I will be doing a full release with a proper version number increment for both IRR and SRR once I have finalized compatibility between these two and 1pp as well, with fuller instructions to follow.

Nice.

4. The rest of SR after any other spell-adding components that aren't SCS and CDTweaks (i.e. all the other components should always be before SCS and CDTweaks).

And also after any mods that add joinable NPCs (because of SR's Update Spellbooks component).

48 minutes ago, Mike1072 said:

Nice.

And also after any mods that add joinable NPCs (because of SR's Update Spellbooks component).

That too, thanks.

@subtledoctor It actually wasn't that bad to do IR -> SR instead, once I realized it would actually help get rid of the majority of my patches - though I should note that the majority of my spell-like abilities in IRR are already SR-ized. This is what ended up being the totality of my SRR-for-IRR patches:

ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ir_mc.mrk~) THEN BEGIN

LOAD_TRA ~spell_rev/languages/english/item_revisions.tra~

ACTION_IF (FILE_CONTAINS_EVALUATED (~SPELL.IDS~ ~[ %TAB%]CLERIC_POLYMORPH_OTHER[ %TAB%%LNL%%MNL%%WNL%]~)) BEGIN // Periapt of Form Stability Druid Polymorph Other
  LAF RES_NUM_OF_SPELL_NAME STR_VAR spell_name = ~CLERIC_POLYMORPH_OTHER~ RET spell_res END
  OUTER_SPRINT ~polymorph_other~ ~%spell_res%~
  ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~amul24.itm~) THEN BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~amul24.itm~ ~override~
      REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~sppr420~ ~%polymorph_other%~
  END
END

COPY_EXISTING ~brac23.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1308
COPY_EXISTING ~hamm03.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1550
COPY_EXISTING ~hamm11.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1566
COPY_EXISTING ~misc3a8.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1699
COPY_EXISTING ~misc3h.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1714
COPY_EXISTING ~misc3l.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1723
COPY_EXISTING ~npshld.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1805
COPY_EXISTING ~slng06.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1932
COPY_EXISTING ~staf22.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @2049
COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h65.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @2162
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~brac23.spl~) THEN BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~brac23.spl~             ~override~ // Righteous Fury
    SAY NAME1 @4012
END
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~npshld.spl~) THEN BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~npshld.spl~             ~override~ // Protection from Missiles
    SAY NAME1 @4033
END
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~sw1h65.spl~) THEN BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~sw1h65.spl~             ~override~ // Draw Upon Holy Might
    SAY NAME2 @4073
END
ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~misc3l.spl~) THEN BEGIN
  COPY_EXISTING ~misc3l.spl~             ~override~ // Silence
    SAY NAME1 @4104
END

COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\dvbram.spl~   ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\dvmcure.spl~   ~override~
  SAY NAME1 @177
COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\dvpexpl.spl~   ~override~
  SAY NAME1 @4014
COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\dvreson.spl~   ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\dvsburst.spl~   ~override~
COPY ~spell_rev\item_rev\hamm11.spl~   ~override~
  SAY NAME1 @163

END

Much better than the thousand line nightmare that it was in IRR. One thing I don't know how to fix yet is re-stringing item extended headers outside of the framework of IR, though - so for example, Anomen's shield will say "Protection from Normal Missiles" when you mouse over the ability instead of the actual cast spell, which is "Protection from Missiles". There's only a handful like that that need minor corrections, which I'll...try to figure out some other time. I think one of the other things that I did back when I first was doing this that complicated everything was that I was installing Store Revisions right after the main component for Item Revisions, which is a terrible idea if you're using SR because it has SR-centric stuff, and so should be installed after SR. I do hate splitting up the installation of components into different chunks, but at this point, it's rather kind of necessary.

(e): Actually, I lied - I added a chunk of IRR resources to the Spell Deflection and Haste/Slow .tpas, too, but overall, not too bad. ...And also, I don't think this is BG1EE-friendly, so I guess I'll have to fix that, too. Sigh...

Edited by Bartimaeus

COPY_EXISTING ~brac23.itm~             ~override~
  SAY IDENTIFIED_DESC @1308

If you're just updating spell names, you could do that pretty easily by patching the descriptions using the update_item_descriptions macro from IR and this simple macro:

DPM ~replace_spell_name~ BEGIN
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_SENSITIVE ~%old_spell_name%~ ~%new_spell_name%~
END

And then you could call it like:

COPY_EXISTING ~brac23.itm~ ~override~
  SPRINT old_spell_name @99175 // ~Righteous Magic~
  SPRINT new_spell_name @175 // ~Righteous Fury~
  TEXT_SPRINT text_update ~replace_spell_name~
  LPM ~update_item_descriptions~

This would mean less maintenance if the description ever changes in the future and better compatibility in the case where SR is being installed after something else that alters the item's description (like one of IR's other components).

One thing I don't know how to fix yet is re-stringing item extended headers outside of the framework of IR, though - so for example, Anomen's shield will say "Protection from Normal Missiles" when you mouse over the ability instead of the actual cast spell, which is "Protection from Missiles".

You would have to update the values in tooltip.2da - there are macros/functions to make this very simple, including one in IR.

9 minutes ago, Mike1072 said:

If you're just updating spell names, you could do that pretty easily by patching the descriptions using the update_item_descriptions macro from IR and this simple macro:

DPM ~replace_spell_name~ BEGIN
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY CASE_SENSITIVE ~%old_spell_name%~ ~%new_spell_name%~
END

And then you could call it like:

COPY_EXISTING ~brac23.itm~ ~override~
  SPRINT old_spell_name @99175 // ~Righteous Magic~
  SPRINT new_spell_name @175 // ~Righteous Fury~
  TEXT_SPRINT text_update ~replace_spell_name~
  LPM ~update_item_descriptions~

This would mean less maintenance if the description ever changes in the future and better compatibility in the case where SR is being installed after something else that alters the item's description (like one of IR's other components).

You would have to update the values in tooltip.2da - there are macros/functions to make this very simple, including one in IR.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

And on that note, I have completed the transition of installing IR first and then SR second in the last github repository. I will be doing a full release with a proper version number increment for both IRR and SRR once I have finalized compatibility between these two and 1pp as well, with fuller instructions to follow. For the time being, if you're installing the very latest repositories, it should be:

1. Main component of IR.
  2. Main component of SR.
  3. (Non-EE only): Except for the avatar-switching script component, all of 1pp v4.1.0 with my 1pp fixes (NOT v4.2.0 - full v4.2.0 compatibility without any need for my fixes will be forthcoming in the near future). EE games do not need 1pp or to heed this step.
  5. The rest of IR after any other item-adding components (but like above, before SCS and CDTweaks - SCS and CDTweaks should be installed after all "content" components, which should be pretty late into your install). Note that the order of #4 and #5 do not actually matter in relation to each other - you can do IR's secondary components first or SR's secondary components first, it shouldn't matter, so long as they are after other content-adding mods.

Great thx.

A bit off topic maybe, but i have seen there was a discussion in a thread dedicated to Dispel magic revision. Is there a plan to implement some sort of changes to Dispel is SRR any time soon? (not in the nearest future probably but in foreseeable future? :) )

1 minute ago, pochesun said:

Great thx.

A bit off topic maybe, but i have seen there was a discussion in a thread dedicated to Dispel magic revision. Is there a plan to implement some sort of changes to Dispel is SRR any time soon? (not in the nearest future probably but in foreseeable future? :) )

I plan on providing an alternative Remove Magic via an .ini setting sometime within the next week, and eventually a not as extreme Dispel Magic (5/5 instead of 5/10), but that's a bit farther off due to its complexity.

Implemented Mike's safer macros.

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I plan on providing an alternative Remove Magic via an .ini setting sometime within the next week, and eventually a not as extreme Dispel Magic (5/5 instead of 5/10), but that's a bit farther off due to its complexity.

Implemented Mike's safer macros.

Ok gotcha.

Does SR(R) do anything regarding this?

Beware: If the victim is level-drained to equal or less than level 1, disintegrated, petrified, or frozen shattered to death, there’s a good chance the above process will destroy some, if not all of the non-plot items from their inventory, rendering them unobtainable.

I just had an unfortunate casualty against the Hive Mother in the Underdark. Misc got disintegrated and the ONLY thing that he dropped was the Flail of the Ages. I'm not reloading since I like character deaths but I was under the impression that SRR worked differently. All of the sudden makes my most recent sorcerer 6th level spell choice feel a lot worse.

Is there any way to update keybind names or even add new keybinds for new spells? Been trying to use keybinds a lot more so it is increasingly becoming an issue. For some reason Resist Fear's Keybind doesn't want to work even though it should be the same spell as the one SR changes.

Speaking of keybinds, do you know if SR works with SCS pre-buffing scripts? I don't have them installed at the moment but I was thinking of trying them. Not a big fan of scripts in general since I'm a control freak but I'm curious now.

2 hours ago, NdranC said:

Does SR(R) do anything regarding this?

I just had an unfortunate casualty against the Hive Mother in the Underdark. Misc got disintegrated and the ONLY thing that he dropped was the Flail of the Ages. I'm not reloading since I like character deaths but I was under the impression that SRR worked differently. All of the sudden makes my most recent sorcerer 6th level spell choice feel a lot worse.

Is there any way to update keybind names or even add new keybinds for new spells? Been trying to use keybinds a lot more so it is increasingly becoming an issue. For some reason Resist Fear's Keybind doesn't want to work even though it should be the same spell as the one SR changes.

Speaking of keybinds, do you know if SR works with SCS pre-buffing scripts? I don't have them installed at the moment but I was thinking of trying them. Not a big fan of scripts in general since I'm a control freak but I'm curious now.

SR's Disintegration spell no longer actually uses the disintegration effect, but if you're playing with e.g. SCS, it's unlikely to respect or detect the changes made to the wizard spell Disintegration when those beholders are using their own version of it. I would suggest using...oh, wait, no, it's ToBEx that makes it so the Disintegrate effect no longer destroys items. But there is another quite old mod called P5Tweaks that achieves a similar effect - I use its "Drop Items on Imprisonment" component, and there is one for Disintegration as well. Can't a hundred percent guarantee it'll work correctly on the EEs, but it may be worth a shot: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/24586-p5tweaks/

Sorry, no idea about either keybinds or SCS pre-buffing scripts. I play with a controller that I created a made-for-IE-games profile with a lot of timing-based functions (e.g. holding down one button for 0-0.25s will do one function, but holding it down for 0.26-0.50 will do something else entirely, and anything beyond 0.50 will do another thing yet, etc.), but I don't get into binding specific spells as a result. I've never used the pre-buffing script and have no idea how it works or how reactive it is to changes in spells or anything like that, you may be better off asking @DavidW.

So I'm safe to disintegrate away any enemies. How about frozen or petrify? I'm pretty sure I've had people die from vampiric level drain and they have never chunked. I know you have a component to change petrify to work like a hold but if I don't use it. Am I susceptible to delete loot if I petrify enemies and break them?

Sorry, no idea about either keybinds or SCS pre-buffing scripts. I play with a controller that I created a made-for-IE-games profile with a lot of timing-based functions (e.g. holding down one button for 0-0.25s will do one function, but holding it down for 0.26-0.50 will do something else entirely, and anything beyond 0.50 will do another thing yet, etc.), but I don't get into binding specific spells as a result. I've never used the pre-buffing script and have no idea how it works or how reactive it is to changes in spells or anything like that, you may be better off asking @DavidW.

Wow, this is the weirdest thing I've ever heard. Sounds cool though. Not a controller guy myself but, presumably you still have to open the cast menu and find a spell normally, making the use of keybinds rewarding for commonly casted spells or pre-buffs.

If you use the default petrification option as defined in settings.ini, you should be safe to petrify enemies without fear of losing their items (as they aren't actually petrified, but simply held). If you use the "0" or "2" setting for that option (aka "all creatures are actually petrified" / "only enemies are petrified" respectively), then you would need to use a "petrified creatures drop items" component like the P5 Tweaks gives.

Yeah, but there just aren't enough buttons on a controller to do everything - I already have most things double-bound, and some triple-bound. The difference between opening up my innate abilities, my equipment abilities, and accidentally doing a quick load instead are already a matter of a quarter second each, I don't think I can add on that much more, :p. I have issues with my hands that makes using a mouse for more than short bursts very painful, so I have devised alternative ways of playing games.

Edited by Bartimaeus

If you use the default petrification option as defined in settings.ini, you should be safe to petrify enemies without fear of losing their items (as they aren't actually petrified, but simply held). If you use the "0" or "2" setting for that option (aka "all creatures are actually petrified" / "only enemies are petrified" respectively), then you would need to use a "petrified creatures drop items" component like the P5 Tweaks gives.

Yeah, but there just aren't enough buttons on a controller to do everything - I already have most things double-bound, and some triple-bound. The difference between opening up my innate abilities, my equipment abilities, and accidentally doing a quick load instead are already a matter of a quarter second each, I don't think I can add on that much more, :p. I have issues with my hands that makes using a mouse for more than short bursts very painful, so I have devised alternative ways of playing games.

Thanks for the clarification. How do you move your characters? Do you have to "click" on the ground? Maybe it's because I'm not the best at RTwP games and prefer TB dnd but you must be amazing at the game if you are able to time half a second presses while dealing with everything else in screen.

On another note. I started the planning face of my next client and I was wondering if there are any mechanics centric mods that you play with that you feel go well with SCS+IR+SCS. I usually think less is more and I would rather mods that fix already existing things than adding more but I'm concerned about consistency between mod authors.

58 minutes ago, NdranC said:

Thanks for the clarification. How do you move your characters? Do you have to "click" on the ground? Maybe it's because I'm not the best at RTwP games and prefer TB dnd but you must be amazing at the game if you are able to time half a second presses while dealing with everything else in screen.

On another note. I started the planning face of my next client and I was wondering if there are any mechanics centric mods that you play with that you feel go well with SCS+IR+SCS. I usually think less is more and I would rather mods that fix already existing things than adding more but I'm concerned about consistency between mod authors.

1. Yeah, still have to click and stuff. I do make use of SCS' general AI script to help automate the endless amounts of trash fights in these games (...though I have a controller button to disable or enable party AI on the fly as it's necessary). Past the first hour or so of using it, I honestly don't find this controller setup difficult to use at all, and in fact prefer it in some ways over the old M+KB controls - but you do have to be pretty precise with them. Shockingly, I've never accidentally quickloaded even once with this setup, even though the controls are setup in such a way that would make it extremely easy to do so. I'm sure it'll happen eventually, but it hasn't yet!

2. Hmm...not really - I go pretty light on things, as I get annoyed by things that I feel are out of place or don't fit in very easily. You're welcome to look through my weidu.log, but it is much less interesting than most other people's I've seen:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/oj6ecp60lqoe7ky/WeiDU.log

Edited by Bartimaeus