Out, Brief Candlekeep! (mod mostly for BG:EE)

The basics of this mod should work under all or most versions of the first Baldur's Gate, but wine should not be drunk outside of BG:EE (including the bottle from the spider house). Guest Henanigan helped add Enhanced Edition Trilogy support.

Have you ever wondered why, for all the urgency of having to leave and the imminent threat of assassins, the main character of Baldur's Gate is at leisure to stroll across the grounds of Candlekeep, chatting, delivering bottles of cow cure, exterminating pests, even resting at the inn for days and weeks at a time if he has a notion to? Of course, the out-of-character reason for this back in the day was that the Prologue was a tutorial and only intended to teach players the controls and basic how-tos of gameplay. Nowadays, however, hardly anyone perceives it that way or needs to be instructed. Most players probably go from task to task for a little starting experience, if they do not find them too boring, before setting out at some time.

This mod brings the Prologue back in-character and makes the urgency very real. You have one hour - sixty game time minutes - to finish your business in Candlekeep and depart with Gorion; and if you do, nothing will happen. One minute longer, however, and very real killers will show up wherever you are and whatever you may be doing - pick-pocketing idle nobles, fighting illusionary monsters, listening to prophesies of Alaundo and so on. All of those activities are very nice, but other people living it out in the monastery are not in the unique situation of being on a kill list. These assassins are much more competent than the pathetic tutorial-type thugs you already know. For a 1st-level character without a party fighting them means almost certain, but not absolutely certain, death.

Most players and their characters will just have to pack it on time. If you dig your heels down and take them on, however - and defeat them - you will be treated to a little loot and some new content. Read the dialogues attentively. The most obvious reward is a new 1st-level spell, Vanishing Act, carried by one of the assassins (you will wish you had it before meeting them). If the battle turns out too difficult for your character and you end up having to run away after all, there are two other places where you can get such a scroll. One is far across a sea and another is in the home of the enemy.

Taking the assassins on single-handedly is probably too much for any character, but Candlekeep is still your home after all. Think about who might help you. In the time that you have give people a reason to intervene. It also helps to be well-liked to begin with. Of course, not everyone will lay down their lives for you even then. If you go to sleep at the inn before taking care of the assassins, you will never wake up.

In addition to all this, I took a hammer and pliers to some other things around Candlekeep. The spell Firebead Elvenhair casts on you to "protect you tonight" will really last into the fateful night, and so on.

The best way to play this mod is in a new game, but if you load a save in the Prologue, the timer will start from there. You will not be able to win people's loyalty for helping them out, though.

Download

screen1.jpg.926bf51c8340785bc9cbd63d754c82a6.jpg

1262978917_Screen2.jpg.6243e67fd60bb6be7ba69b5188dcc1c0.jpg

Edited by temnix

Now why didn't I get a notification for this reply for this thread that I'm following? Administrators?

17 hours ago, Arthas said:

Please, if you can, add compatibility for BG:T and EE:T

I'm not sure whether the mod may not already work with them. Try it. I'm used to using the latest IE technology available, though, which means the Enhanced Editions. I use whatever functions are on the table to the utmost, and some are not going to work on older game versions. Compatibility may be patchy or it may be complete, there's no telling.

You're going to hear a trumpet when the countdown begins (normally in a new game). But the rest may or may not work.

It's too much work to revise everything, of course. Especially if there is no telling even what. You'll just have to risk it or play BG:EE.

Not to stray off topic in my own mod's thread, but just what are the principled objections of people to playing the Enhanced Editions? The technology is simply leagues ahead. Those who reject them cheat themselves of a lot of potential, I think, both as players and as modders. Perhaps not in this mod, but I have made some things that simply will not work outside of Beamdog's updated engine. I can think of a couple of fundamental reasons that EEs can't negotiate, like being able to keep globals while playing through Trilogy or the wonderful style of the original BG, loading screens, interfaces, yes, but mostly people seem to be unhappy with the way Beamdog went about changing the gameplay. Ergo, what we need is a rollback mod. To gather ideas about really unfortunate gameplay choices and reverse them. Then most of those who have given up on a future for these games and their tech may be encouraged anew. And we'll be able to ride in the saddle behind Beamdog as they continue to support and, hopefully, expand the functionality. Nobody but a real company has resources for that.

11 hours ago, temnix said:

Not to stray off topic in my own mod's thread...

No, let's do that...

11 hours ago, temnix said:

...what are the principled objections of people to playing the Enhanced Editions?

This has been discussed many times, over many years. Perhaps before you joined the BG community. So I don't mean to bring up bad history, but just answer the question.

I don't have links to many of the criticisms; I don't have links to the best comments -- I'll leave that to others to contribute.

I do have a link to a comment that succinctly states why some players - myself included - will stick to the original versions, despite all the valid points you make (and those points are facts, no doubt or debate):

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54271-comments-on-bgee-bg2ee-news/page-30#entry545972

For my part, I'll simply note that I have no intention of buying BGEE because it offers nothing of interest to me that I don't already have access to.

Another statement really hits home, again despite the technical advantages of EE (and that most of the thread discussion is about other things EE-related):

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54271-comments-on-bgee-bg2ee-news/page-45#entry550821

The bottom-line is that they released a version of Baldur's Gate (EE) which you really have to work...to find any advantages to compared to a BGT-installation with mods, yet with a number of sizeable disadvantages. ...Is BG:EE an enhanced version of the BGT install I have on my computer? No. Just no.

My own direct, point-of-view, I'll give the devil his due and say this: I would buy EE versions only if it was just the engine updated. I don't want to see, hear, or smell any EE surface content: no new GUI, no new NPCs, no changed story canon, god-help-us no new cutscenes, etc. If I can play BG1 & BG2 exactly how I've always played them--with just the game engine being EE-ified--I'll buy it.

This would give players like me the pleasure to play mods like yours. Which I would totally do, your mod sounds kickass! Pity, I guess that chance won't happen.

Edited by Azazello
4 hours ago, Azazello said:

Which I would totally do, your mod sounds kickass! Pity, I guess that chance won't happen.

And what about Dungeon Begone for BG1 ? Talk to the added NPC and skip the Candlekeep if you choose that option.

Yes, Termix mod is a bit more involved... but so is all the other mods created ... if they carry an original idea.

Yes, I'm not the only person to ever have had an idea, Imp. :D If I claimed that, the next thing I could claim would be being Ao the Overgod. Though, in truth, my mod is a great deal more involved than skipping Candlekeep. Enough about the EEs vs. non-EEs here, though. Let's keep this thread for players who do intend to play the mod and have questions about it. Thanks to @Azazello for his points of view. I think they mostly just add weight to my argument that a rollback mod is needed. Maybe some time later I'll start a thread elsewhere and ask for just what needs to be reversed the most.

Guest Henanigan

Hi Temnix, I'm having a lot of fun with your mod. I had problems installing it at first though. The installer complained that DEDCAT_#.ITM was missing. I'm guessing it's a custom object that one of the NPCs should have in her inventory, but it doesn't seem to be included. Tested on BGEE, latest version, fresh install.

I went on to try your mod on my EET install as well. In order to do so I needed a few game checks in the tp2 file:

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bgee~ BEGIN
    STRING_SET 31483 @7
    STRING_SET 31484 @8
    STRING_SET 31485 @9      
    STRING_SET 31486 @10      
    STRING_SET 4440 @11
    STRING_SET 4439 @12    
    STRING_SET 16214 @15     
    STRING_SET 31107 @15
END
ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN
    STRING_SET 231483 @7
    STRING_SET 231484 @8
    STRING_SET 231485 @9      
    STRING_SET 231486 @10      
    STRING_SET 204440 @11
    STRING_SET 204439 @12    
    STRING_SET 216214 @15     
    STRING_SET 231107 @15
END

COPY_EXISTING ~AR2600.ARE~ ~override~
    WRITE_SHORT 0x156E ~550~
    WRITE_SHORT 0x1572 ~550~
    BUT_ONLY       
END
    COPY_EXISTING ~BG2600.ARE~ ~override~
    WRITE_SHORT 0x156E ~550~
    WRITE_SHORT 0x1572 ~550~
    BUT_ONLY       
END

COPY_EXISTING ~AR0614.ARE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x1800 ~VANISH_#~
	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~AR2602.ARE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x94 ~VANISH_#~
	BUT_ONLY
END
	COPY_EXISTING ~BG0614.ARE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x1800 ~VANISH_#~
	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~BG2602.ARE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x94 ~VANISH_#~
	BUT_ONLY
END

EXTEND_TOP ~AR2600.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2602.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2605.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2606.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2607.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2616.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2617.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2618.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2643.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2600.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/AR2600_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~AR2626.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/AR2626_#.BAF~
END
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2600.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2602.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2605.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2606.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2607.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2616.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2617.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2618.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2643.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/BALDUR_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2600.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/AR2600_#.BAF~
    EXTEND_TOP ~BG2626.BCS~ ~Out, Brief Candlekeep!/No Compile/AR2626_#.BAF~
END

Also I needed to patch a few string refs and items, since bucklers have different names in BGEE and BG2EE for whatever reason:

COPY_EXISTING ~BILFIA_#.CRE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x2E8 ~SHLD09A~
	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~IASMAN_#.CRE~ ~override~
	WRITE_ASCII 0x2E8 ~SHLD08A~
	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~FIRBD1_#.SPL~ ~override~
	WRITE_LONG 0x50 ~226365~
	BUT_ONLY

COPY_EXISTING ~CCRUSH_#.SPL~ ~override~
	WRITE_LONG 0x50 ~313131~
	BUT_ONLY
END

This worked for me, although there's must be better ways to deal with the stringrefs. I'm no modder though. I'm putting this here anyway, in case it's of interest to anyone, and I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it!

The DEDCAT part I had to comment out. If the file's missing, would you consider uploading a new version?

Thanks again for making this mod!
Henanigan

Guest Henanigan

(Postscript: When I wrote that there must be better ways to deal with stringrefs, I was thinking specifically of strings added by mods. Refs to vanilla strings are fine I guess? Since all but one of the strings above are vanilla, it may not be obvious what I meant. :) )

On 12/2/2019 at 6:28 AM, Guest Henanigan said:

(Postscript: When I wrote that there must be better ways to deal with stringrefs, I was thinking specifically of strings added by mods. Refs to vanilla strings are fine I guess? Since all but one of the strings above are vanilla, it may not be obvious what I meant. :) )

Good job with adding EET support. The link in the first post now leads to an updated download, with the dead cat. Have you gotten to the visitors? By the way, now that my Adventurer's Miscellany is out, its version of wine supercedes the bottle here. This mod's wine will not overwrite that one's, which is superior.

If the missing cat was preventing installation, that must mean all of the people who have downloaded the mod could not install it. Why didn't anybody point that out here? I must have had the file among my others, so the mod installed smoothly for me, but I did not have it in the directory shipped in the archive, so I never noticed the lack...

Ha!

Edited by temnix
Guest Henanigan

Thanks for the update! Yes the visitors got held up at the gate, so to speak. :) I really like your additions to Candlekeep. Given the name of your mod, maybe you could use Tethoril's 'life is a mere shadow of death' line somehow? A walking shadow; a poor player that struts and frets his hour. :)

BTW, I deleted three files in the mod's Main folder: 8100.INI, SOUNDOFF.IDS and SPROTECT.BAM -- it seems that your mod does not actually need them? It looks like the SPROTECT one simply adds a number of blank frames at the end of the animation and it may cause compatibility issues I guess. In 8100.ini, a few values had been deleted, which presumably means that the vanilla values would be used anyway? If these files ended up in the archive by mistake, maybe they should be taken out?

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, Azazello said:

Another statement really hits home, again despite the technical advantages of EE (and that most of the thread discussion is about other things EE-related):

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54271-comments-on-bgee-bg2ee-news/page-45#entry550821

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:46 AM, Azazello said:

The bottom-line is that they released a version of Baldur's Gate (EE) which you really have to work...to find any advantages to compared to a BGT-installation with mods, yet with a number of sizeable disadvantages. ...Is BG:EE an enhanced version of the BGT install I have on my computer? No. Just no.

Kind of necroing this particular discussion, but -- the post quoted is from december 2012, at which point BG:EE was about a week old. At that time, I would have agreed: obviously between BG1 EE alone+unmodded and tried-and-true BGT with full mods there's no contest; like a lvl 1 mage vs a level 30 fighter. The value of the EEs was never what came straight out of the box, though: it was clear very early on that their potential lay in the future, at least several years ahead, when BG2 and ToB were also available in EE format, when an EE trilogy playthrough would be possible, when (at least most) mods had been adapted and when the community could slowly but surely start to take advantage of the engine improvements -- which is exactly what has been happening and will continue to happen, just like support for original BG1 eventually started to fade in favour of Tutu and BGT.

This last post was clearly driven here by an underpaid Uber driver... In response to Guest Henanigan: I don't remember the exact mechanics that went into "Candlekeep" now, and I don't like people poking in every file that is included. If it is there, it is for a reason. I wouldn't have put anything in the installation package that was not necessary or advantageous. But I will explain. 8100.INI is probably the INI file for the hobgoblin animation with the embedded creature sounds deleted. One of the assassins is a hobgoblin with unique (well, different) hit and death cries, and there would be a clash with the default sounds in the animation without a change. It is this way with many standard animations: Bioware never meant hobgoblins or ogres or bears etc. to have special sounds and voices, so many animations come with standard sounds in the INI files in addition to the sounds in their CRE files - unlike playable animations of the classes, which only have the CRE lines. These two sets normally overlap, but sometimes you can hear weirdness - ogres cry twice when they die sometimes and so on. Also the embedded sounds are not suppressed with Silence, which is strange. In my opinion, all INIs should treated like the classes' and cleared of this obsolete audio (except a couple of special cases). At any rate, you will not lose anything by using a cleared INI here.

To anybody who thinks this is a great moment to turn this thread into a discussion of animation sounds: don't.

The SOUNDOFF supplied here is my own update of the standard version of that file. There is another file, SNDSLOT, which also refers to creature voice lines but is built somewhat differently. I mixed the two, and now SOUNDOFF allows tp2 voice lines to be written in both formats. For example, SAY BATTLE_CRY @X or SAY BATTLE_CRY1 @X both work. This does not cause any issues, but my tp2 probably makes use of the convenience, so if you remove the file, Weidu may stop understanding some of the commands. SPPROTECT.BAM is a fixed visual for Protection from Evil, cast in this mod by Firebead. The original is sloppy and plays twice when you cast the spell. This is one of the fixes I included.

So, did you get to the visiting nobles? And did you find the stash?

Guest Henanigan

Temnix, thanks for the detailed explanation! Much obliged. Actually, regarding the SPROTECT, I get the same animation with and without your file: no looping. It's just that your version has a lot of blanked-out frames at the end, as compared to my vanilla one. I wonder if Beamdog fixed that one in the version I have. (Tested on a fresh install.) I will keep playing around with things and see what I can learn. As for poking in every file included, well maybe that's to be expected in a forum full of modders? :) But I will not ask. Yes I tried the various options with the nobles, including the hold-up that I alluded to, and I found the stash. Will try your AM mod next! (Not too fond of my extended Macbeth quote, eh? I thought that line with the 'player' and his 'hour' would fit in. :) )