difficulty curve problem

Guest synthphase

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

Sleep always worked that way in vanilla BG2; SCS doesn't touch it. (You can change it very easily by editing tobex.ini, though.

Interesting,  How did it work in BG1BG2 of course you are always at a level where Sleep doesn't affect you.

Well I looked in tobex.ini.txt and see this:

-----90 Awaken Fix [C, F]
(Identical to Spell Revisions 'Cure Sleep Fix')
Fixes awaken opcode to remove sleep opcode rather than itself

Options:
-0: disabled
-1: enabled

-----100 Awaken On Damage [T]
Creatures have the equivalent of the awaken opcode applied if the damage opcode is applied
i.e. sleeping creatures wake up when hurt

Options:
-0: disabled
-1: enabled

in tobex.ini I see this

Awaken Fix=1

This appears to be the "90" fix not the "100" fix.

How do I enable it? Add a new line for "Awaken On Damage=1" ?

Will this mess up a saved game?  Or WeIDU stuff that is installed?

Thanks

I decided to go ahead and try adding "Awaken On Damage=1" to tobex.ini.

Didn't work.  Mage in the carnival tent slept my party and killed them one by one while asleep without them waking.

Upon further investigation it appears this is an option in a different file, TobExTweak.ini, not tobex.ini.  Trying it now.

Edit: tweak does work, although oddly the character portrait of an awakened character keeps the "sleep" effect icon on it.

Sadly I think SCS is too hard so I am going to start over without it.  Can't afford all the endless Raise Deads on my evil NPCs.  All I can do is window shop for magic items, can't afford to actually buy any due to spending thousands on Raise Dead over and over.  Oh well.  Guess I'm not the target audience for this mod.

Edited by chuft

When an invisible ogre mage shows up adjacent to your thief and casts Sleep on the party while you are fighting ogrillons from "Waylaid by Enemies", or you are fighting inside a tiny tent in Nashkel, it's pretty hard to avoid the AOEs. This doesn't feel challenging, it just feels unfair.

Some people like their games really hard, forcing lots of reloads.  I'm not one of those people.

TBH, the encounter at the tent it's a bit ridiculous for the level you can first find it, I think that mage is ~L6 conjurer... But even if it's L6, yet his save vs. spell it's 3, so it's pretty much impossible to affect him with effects from wands or spells, and instantly casts Mirror Images, so it's also pretty much impossible to interrupt him reliably.

It's sadly one of the few encounters that the only recourse is to delay them until you have better protections for your characters, specially if you just arrived at Nashkel and you're still just L2 to L3 as you normally are at that point in the game.

On the other hand, that random encounter with the Ogrillons + Ogre mage... I don't really remember it, myself... there's an encounter with 2 Ogrillons and there's a separate encounter with a single lone Ogre Mage (from what I remember, at least... unless it's something changed by some of the components I haven't installed?)

I was fighting (with my second level party, which has neither Sleep nor Invisibility) a Waylaid by Enemies encounter with what I thought was two ogrillons when an invisible ogre mage decloaked behind my line and proceeded to cast five Sleep spells in a row. 

Thanks to Viconia’s magic resistance she was able to stay awake and I eventually managed, via her sling, to lower the ogre’s morale to the point where he walked off the map. This left me with no loot and yet another expensive Raise Dead on Kagain. This was on the walk back to Nashkel from the Gnoll fortress. 

On 8/2/2019 at 3:30 PM, chuft said:

I was fighting (with my second level party, which has neither Sleep nor Invisibility) a Waylaid by Enemies encounter with what I thought was two ogrillons when an invisible ogre mage decloaked behind my line 

I've never once encountered this in BGEE+SCS. Are you sure it isn't from some other mod?

From discussion with someone else it sounds like BGT messes with the Waylaid by Enemies encounters and SCS raises the levels of ogre mages, so they both contributed. Whether this is what happened I don’t know. Other mods are all unfinished business, fixpack, tweaks, worldmap - nothing content wise. 

46 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Ah. I do recall that BGT is kind of an outlier when it comes to enemy spawns, vs. Tutu or BGEE

But waylay -- enemy spawns, are not the same thing !!! One is between maps, the other is in the maps themselves.