[Kit Pack] Deities of Faerûn (BGEE, BG2EE, IWDEE and EET)

9 hours ago, gringochilenoo said:

I was wondering in the case of the Ranger/Cleric kits available from this mod if they will still unlock the vanilla druid spells like this if they aren't already included in their cleric spheres.

As far as I remember, no.

What a tremendous work, that completely outshines the beamdog cleric kit's. I just created an account to say thanks.

I'm running cleric of ilmater in BG1 and it's suprisingly refreshing  after so many years in to this game. Well done 👍

Edited by Cjartan
42 minutes ago, Cjartan said:

What a tremendous work, that completely outshines the beamdog cleric kit's. I just created an account to say thanks.

I'm running cleric of ilmater in BG1 and it's suprisingly refreshing  after so many years in to this game. Well done 👍

Thanks, that kind of comment is always welcome and very rare.

Outshining Beamdog is not that hard when you don't break the game and fix bugs within a week instead of letting it be for almost a decade.

On 10/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, Necromanx2 said:

@Raduziel could you summarize how you would implement Gond, Istishia, and Labelas Enoreth? Then Endarire, John, and I could vote for which of the three we want?

I have no idea so far but Gond and Istishia would have to be heavily altered as their powers don't translate well to IE. IIRC, Labelas is by far the easier to implement.

Next tuesday I'll have a very important test after that I'll have some spare time to mod. 

4 minutes ago, gringochilenoo said:

after playing this mod I dont know how I could play bg without it. Never felt inspired to play cleric main now im rolling a Hoodwinker of Baravar cleric/illusionist with short bow and having more fun than I ever have after all these years. Thank you so much for your thoughtful work! 

Thank you for the kindy words, I'm really happy to see people having fun with DoF.

Just now, Kalindor said:

Hey, I'd really like to try out this mod for my upcoming EET playthrough. However, I saw that Spell Revisions is listed as incompatible. If I had to choose, I'd go with SR. How major is this incompatibility? Thanks!

One or two spells might misbehave or not appear at all.

20 minutes ago, Kalindor said:

Thanks for the speedy reply. It sounds like a relatively minor conflict based on your description. I'll try them both simultaneously.

I didn't test both mods acting together; all the issues were reported by other players, so I can't nail precisely if those are all the conflicts you'll find. I did my best to make DoF compatible with as many mods as possible but SR overwrites spells instead of editing it - long story short, to make it work perfectly I would have to make many of the tweaks and spells twice: one for vanilla behavior and another for SR - that's suboptimal to say the least.

If SR is a must for you, maybe Faiths and Pantheons will fit your needs better than Deities of Faerun. It is a great mod but far away from DoF's idea of reproducing PnP behavior as closely as possible.

1 minute ago, Necromanx2 said:

How about Olvynspells? It is another spellpack, but not sure if it has the same issues as SR?

AFAIK, it "only" add new spells so it is way simpler to implement as all I need to do is assign the new spells to their respective spheres.

With his permission I can do it next Friday and upload a new version with this compatibility.

(PS: If you get in touch with him to ask for this permission, please tell him I want to play IWD2EE :D - as I'm banned from Beamdog I can't get in touch personally).

2 hours ago, Raduziel said:

I didn't test both mods acting together; all the issues were reported by other players, so I can't nail precisely if those are all the conflicts you'll find. I did my best to make DoF compatible with as many mods as possible but SR overwrites spells instead of editing it - long story short, to make it work perfectly I would have to make many of the tweaks and spells twice: one for vanilla behavior and another for SR - that's suboptimal to say the least.

I took a look at your readme and a bit of the code.  I wouldn't think you'd have to make too many alterations to account for SR in the sphere system.

Some changes would definitely be required to account for new spells, disabled spells, and the few spells that move around (cure wounds), but the vast majority of spells have the same flavour and purpose in SR as they have in vanilla, and it's just the mechanics that change, so sphere assignments should be the same for most of them.  Are there any compatibility issues I'm missing outside of the sphere system?

5 minutes ago, Mike1072 said:

I took a look at your readme and a bit of the code.  I wouldn't think you'd have to make too many alterations to account for SR in the sphere system.

Some changes would definitely be required to account for new spells, disabled spells, and the few spells that move around (cure wounds), but the vast majority of spells have the same flavour and purpose in SR as they have in vanilla, and it's just the mechanics that change, so sphere assignments should be the same for most of them.  Are there any compatibility issues I'm missing outside of the sphere system?

I don't remember exactly what were the complications but I do remember expending a lot of time and energy to make both mods work together - specially with the Fireshield spell.

I also reached some of the modders responsible for SR to ask why they overwrite spells instead of editing it and IIRC the answer was basically "the mod was always like that and every other mod adapted to fit SR" - not as blunt as that.

So I didn't see a reason to expend time and energy - both rare commodities in my life - to make my mod compatible with a mod that doesn't care about being compatible.

Long story short: possibly doable to make both compatible but I don't want to expend time doing so.

1 hour ago, Raduziel said:

I don't remember exactly what were the complications but I do remember expending a lot of time and energy to make both mods work together - specially with the Fireshield spell.

I also reached some of the modders responsible for SR to ask why they overwrite spells instead of editing it and IIRC the answer was basically "the mod was always like that and every other mod adapted to fit SR" - not as blunt as that.

So I didn't see a reason to expend time and energy - both rare commodities in my life - to make my mod compatible with a mod that doesn't care about being compatible.

Long story short: possibly doable to make both compatible but I don't want to expend time doing so.

While I'm not the author, I've dedicated a lot of time to maintaining SR and IR and improving compatibility wherever possible.  The patching vs. overwriting discussion is a big red herring.

The goal of the mod is to overhaul every vanilla spell, so whether it overwrites the files or rebuilds them using patches, the effect would be the same.  (One was just easier to implement.)  The mod is supposed to be installed early, so that it does not overwrite changes from other mods.  I recognize that does put most of the burden for adapting to SR's changes on other mods, but I'm happy to help out to make that possible.

Could you describe how DoF interacts with vanilla spells outside of assigning them to spheres?  (It looks like the Fireshield stuff relates to importing your own version of Fireshield, but I'm unsure exactly what it's doing and what the preferred behaviour would be when SR is installed.)

With a better idea of the specific incompatibilities, the easier ones could be resolved and the more complicated ones could be noted or handled with a quick-and-dirty solution.

@Mike1072 Thanks for the helping hand.

DoF does a lot of changes to spells (many of them are inside the IcewindDaleImport file).

Some of them aims to mirror PnP behavior like Fireshield, Emotion and Symbol (now each of them are combined into a single spell), all healing spells (now they roll a dice instead of healing a given amount) and Free Action. Those are the more problematic.

On top of that, DoF provides some fixes and better interaction between IWD spells and BG (2) games - like Blessing cancelling Curse (the opposite is also true).

Also, DoF edit the spells so they may consider DoF's kit's special abilities and immunities - those changes trend to happen inside the kit's code, though.