Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

Thanks, but I'm going to upgrade to a new PC this week, so I'll see for a fresh install then.

The only small point of critique that I have, is that the kits/classes aren't very clear which weapons/armours/shields they can use.

10 minutes ago, GawainBS said:

The only small point of critique that I have, is that the kits/classes aren't very clear which weapons/armours/shields they can use.

That has been addressed in the recent builds. Well, as far as weapons anyway. All clerics can use all shields and there are only a few kits that are restricted from using plate armor. (Basically just the nerdy deities like Oghma/Deneir/Azuth/etc.)

10 hours ago, Marvin said:

Just wanted to know what are the compatibilities / incompatibilities in between FnP and Deities of Faërum ? What is the best way to enjoy both together?

DoF was made from the ground up as an alternative to FnP. They both have several dozen clerics kits based on the AD&D 2E sources, covering modt of the same deities; they both include multiclass versions of those kits, and they both include cleric weapon usability that deviates from the BG2 base rules and are closer to the old Forgotten Realms in which clerics could use edged weapons. 

DoF sticks to a singular curated vision of clerics; FnP makes more things optional and includes more options that don’t hew as closely to the 2E tabletop sources. FnP includes a bunch of options and kits for paladins and druids that are loosely inspired by PnP but designed specifically for the BG2 ruleset (which is different from the tabletop 2E ruleset). FnP has variant sphere systems, clerics that can cast like sorcerers, etc. 

If you like DoF’s particular vision, use DoF. If you like FnP’s vision or want to play with its systems, use FnP. FNP is very modular - you can install just the kits, or not kit but one of the sphere systems with the vanilla kits, you can just install paladin or druid kits, etc. But AFAIK DoF is not modular. You cannot install DoF kits without the DoF sphere system. For that reason, I have not made FnP’s sphere systems compatible with DoF. (It would be trivially easy to do so.) So, tl;dr: this is very much an either/or proposition. 

7 hours ago, Marvin said:

Great! I used FnP in my last run (that was in 2020...) I guess it must have changed quite a lot from that time...

Yeah there have been a bunch of updates. Make sure you use the SubtleD branch for now, it is the most up-to-date in many ways.

I should probably merge the branches, I have only hesitated because I am not sure if @Grammarsalad approves of the changes to paladins. Pulling some of the traditional paladin and zealot abilities (smite, lay on hands, frenzy, certain immunities) into the three Defender/Inquisitor/Zealot archetypes required changes to several kits that Grammarsalad designed, and I feel bad about that so I don't want to make that official until it is officially blessed by Grammarsalad. Also, on my own end, I have done a lot of work on druids and on spontaneous casting in the last couple years.

But all that work is done and I daresay the mod is in a pretty good state right now. I would almost say we could call this a proper "version 1.0." The only things from the original to-do list that we still haven't gotten to are 1) specific holy symbols for each deity; and 2) individualized determination of which temple stronghold you get (currently this works by alignment, just as it does for the Tyr and Tempus kits in the unmodded game). Holy symbols will probably never happen, only because it would involve designing custom .BAM images for every deity, and that simply isn't in our skillset. #2 could happen, but I have not heard from players that the alignment-based stronghold determination actually needs replacing. Hard to jusify hours and hours of work for a part of the game that seems to be fine.

2 hours ago, GawainBS said:

How tanky are Ranger/Priests in the currect version? How tanky are Rangers

That depends on a lot of things! This mod doesn't make them particularly tanky. Cleric/rangers of Mielikki get major access to the sphere of Earth and so can cast Stoneskin; cleric/rangers of Shaundakul do not.

In my own game, rangers and cleric/rangers are quite tanky! But mostly from other mods:

• Might & Guile gives them 4th-level spells, and earlier spellcasting, and better viewing distance and movement speed
  • SubtleD's Spell Tweaks makes Barkskin block one attack per round
  • Combat Skills & Proficiencies gives an AC bonus for dual-wielding, and the Dodge feat gives better AC, and the Parry stance can block up to one melee attack per round

Which means rangers at level 5, and cleric/rangers at level 3/3, can have a 3-point AC bonus and evade up to 2 melee attacks each round, and can scout/maneuver/kite better than anyone else. Archers and Stalkers really shine with this setup.

Hi Doc,

I have discovered a recent mod by DavidW called Talent of Faerun. I am interested in some of its component. I understand it cannot be compatible with FnP, but if I don't install the cleric kits, the sphere system and anything related with FnP can those two mods be compatible, and if so, what would be the installation order according to you?

Thanks