SCS translations

Hey David, just a reminder that the first post with the translation locations need to be edited:

Files to be translated are now in "stratagems\iwdspells\lang", "stratagems\lang", "stratagems\lang_som", and "stratagems\sfo2e\lua\lang". :)

Edited by Jazira

Hello!

I'm trying to give a hand to the best of my abilities to @Jazira regarding an update to the french translation of SCS with some light QA / proofreading and I have a couple questions.
I'm mostly checking spells' in game descriptions against the documentation.

• With the tweak "Icewind Dale-inspired tweaks to Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate II spells", Defensive Harmony is supposed to give +4AC instead of +2 (which works well ingame) but there doesn't seem to exist any tra entry to update the description which still says +2.
  • Same tweak and the spell Sol's Searing Orb. Documentation says it does 6d6 damage now but the only relevant bit we could find in the tra files is this: 

This spell allows the caster to hurl a brilliant, searing flash at a target. When it hits, it explodes in a flash of light, doing 6d12 points of fire damage to the target and blinding <PRO_HIMHER> for 3 rounds if a Save vs. Spell is failed. If the Saving Throw is made, the target only takes half damage and is not blinded. Undead creatures are particularly vulnerable to this spell, taking double damage.

Are we missing anything here?

Next one is more an "advice needed" kida question.
As part of our "fix the french translation" mod (https://github.com/r-e-d/correctfrBG2EE), we did an update on the description of Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting to specify that it does deal damage to all creatures, eg undead. Since that's the vanilla behavior.
With the tweak "Rebalancings of slightly-too-powerful spells", Abi-Dalzim no longer hits undead and the vanilla description becomes correct which is why I assume you did not extract it to a tra file.
But then, our updated description stays the same and becomes misleading
Any idea how we can solve this issue? Would providing a tra entry for the spell be an option?

Not the biggest deal all in all and I understand your plate is probably pretty full right now but thought I'd ask, for the sake of documentation at least :)
Thank you very much!

4 hours ago, Mera said:

With the tweak "Icewind Dale-inspired tweaks to Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate II spells", Defensive Harmony is supposed to give +4AC instead of +2 (which works well ingame) but there doesn't seem to exist any tra entry to update the description which still says +2.

This gets done by a straight substitution, swapping the string '+2' for '+4'. It sounds like I'm being too casual assuming that regexp works on other languages. This is a good example of what we were talking about previously - in this case I don't need to do it that way, I was just saving time. As of v35.11, string @40900 in stratagems/lang_som/spell.tra will be the complete description of Defensive Harmony (i.e. the original one with +2 swapped for +4).

4 hours ago, Mera said:

Same tweak and the spell Sol's Searing Orb. Documentation says it does 6d6 damage now but the only relevant bit we could find in the tra files is this: 

This is an error in the mod documentation. It actually does 6d12 damage (same as IWDEE). Thanks for catching it; fixed for v35.11.

4 hours ago, Mera said:

As part of our "fix the french translation" mod (https://github.com/r-e-d/correctfrBG2EE), we did an update on the description of Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting to specify that it does deal damage to all creatures, eg undead. Since that's the vanilla behavior.
With the tweak "Rebalancings of slightly-too-powerful spells", Abi-Dalzim no longer hits undead and the vanilla description becomes correct which is why I assume you did not extract it to a tra file.
Any idea how we can solve this issue? Would providing a tra entry for the spell be an option?

As of v35.11, string @40800 will be used as the description for ADHW, unless it's set to 'NO_CHANGE'.

There is a somewhat similar issue for use_iwd_protect_from_fire_duration
(I think) It does

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "%duration_text%.*" "%duration_text% %new_duration%"

But then in french we need to have `duration_text` be a regex

@3="Dur[^e]e[^:]:"

I suggest this could instead be

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "\(%duration_text%\).*" "\1 %new_duration%"

Or maybe the `Duration:` prefix could be integrated inside of @4 (new_duration)...

(Sorry for the formatting, the forum citation and code insertion seem broken for me since some time)

13 hours ago, Mera said:

Hello!

I'm trying to give a hand to the best of my abilities to @Jazira regarding an update to the french translation of SCS with some light QA / proofreading and I have a couple questions.
I'm mostly checking spells' in game descriptions against the documentation.

• With the tweak "Icewind Dale-inspired tweaks to Baldur's Gate/Baldur's Gate II spells", Defensive Harmony is supposed to give +4AC instead of +2 (which works well ingame) but there doesn't seem to exist any tra entry to update the description which still says +2.
  • Same tweak and the spell Sol's Searing Orb. Documentation says it does 6d6 damage now but the only relevant bit we could find in the tra files is this: 

This spell allows the caster to hurl a brilliant, searing flash at a target. When it hits, it explodes in a flash of light, doing 6d12 points of fire damage to the target and blinding <PRO_HIMHER> for 3 rounds if a Save vs. Spell is failed. If the Saving Throw is made, the target only takes half damage and is not blinded. Undead creatures are particularly vulnerable to this spell, taking double damage.

Are we missing anything here?

Next one is more an "advice needed" kida question.

Not the biggest deal all in all and I understand your plate is probably pretty full right now but thought I'd ask, for the sake of documentation at least :)
Thank you very much!

8 hours ago, DavidW said:

This gets done by a straight substitution, swapping the string '+2' for '+4'. It sounds like I'm being too casual assuming that regexp works on other languages. This is a good example of what we were talking about previously - in this case I don't need to do it that way, I was just saving time. As of v35.11, string @40900 in stratagems/lang_som/spell.tra will be the complete description of Defensive Harmony (i.e. the original one with +2 swapped for +4).

This is an error in the mod documentation. It actually does 6d12 damage (same as IWDEE). Thanks for catching it; fixed for v35.11.

As of v35.11, string @40800 will be used as the description for ADHW, unless it's set to 'NO_CHANGE'.

Thank you both, you rocks!

3 hours ago, mickabouille said:

There is a somewhat similar issue for use_iwd_protect_from_fire_duration
(I think) It does

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "%duration_text%.*" "%duration_text% %new_duration%"

But then in french we need to have `duration_text` be a regex

@3="Dur[^e]e[^:]:"

I suggest this could instead be

REPLACE_TEXTUALLY "\(%duration_text%\).*" "\1 %new_duration%"

Or maybe the `Duration:` prefix could be integrated inside of @4 (new_duration)...

(Sorry for the formatting, the forum citation and code insertion seem broken for me since some time)

To give an idea to what it look like:

prot_feu.JPG?ex=65da2871&is=65c7b371&hm=

@3="Dur[^e]+e[^:]*:" // must exactly match duration in BG version of 'protection from fire'

@4="1 tour par niveau"

Here @4 is correctly displayed but @3 is not.

image.png?ex=65dd108c&is=65ca9b8c&hm=7b0

@3="Durée :" // must exactly match duration in BG version of 'protection from fire'

@4="1 tour par niveau"

Here @3 is correctly displayed but @4 is not.

This is another case where I don't really need a regexp, it's just for my convenience (and outweighed by its translation issues). As of v35.11, string @3 in spell.tra should just be the complete description of Protection from Fire (i.e. duration 1 turn per level), and strings @4 and @5 won't be used.

(I should warn in advance that if and when you look at translating ToF, it does a lot of string substitution, and it's not as easy to eliminate it!)

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

As of v35.11, string @3 in spell.tra should just be the complete description of Protection from Fire (i.e. duration 1 turn per level),

Do you mean it should be the old one (pre-stratagem) or the new one?

EDIT: ah obviously the new one (1 turn/lv is the new one)

Edited by mickabouille