SCS translations

I've been doing an audit of the translations of SCS, something I haven't generally paid much attention to. They fall into three groups:

1) Current translations: French, Russian, Italian. All of these have been updated since v32 came out (in two cases, since v33 came out). They're complete or nearly so.

2) Recent translations: Polish, German. Each of these was last updated when v31 (the maintenance release Cam organised) came out. They cover most of SCS's content but have some significant gaps (notably, the difficulty system).

3) Out-of-date translations: Korean, Chinese, Spanish. These haven't been updated in (at least) several years, and so they're very incomplete and out of date.

For (1) and (2), I've marked the most recent version that was translated in the setup text, so that players who use the Polish or German translations know they're a bit out of date. I've deprecated the translations in (3) - they're so partial that I think it's misleading to players to advertise them. (The files are still there, though, and anyone who wants to use them just needs to uncomment the relevant lines in setup-stratagems.tp2.)

Anyone who wants to update any of the old translations is more than welcome.

Just a note on translating v34: there is now translation content in stratagems/iwdspells/lang as well as in stratagems/lang. Most of the strings are from the old dw_iwdspells_arcane.tra and dw_iwdspells_divine.tra, and I've moved those strings over where people haven't noticed. But there are a handful of new ones.

On 9/20/2021 at 2:47 PM, DavidW said:

Just a note on translating v34: there is now translation content in stratagems/iwdspells/lang as well as in stratagems/lang. Most of the strings are from the old dw_iwdspells_arcane.tra and dw_iwdspells_divine.tra, and I've moved those strings over where people haven't noticed. But there are a handful of new ones.

Question about @223 = ~~ // must exactly match string from description of spcl920.spl

We actually have 2 different translations for the "same" game (vanilla & EE 2.6), soon to be 3 (unofficial community driven project to replace the 2.6 one).

One is "Cette faculté remplace la chanson du barde.", and the other one is "Cette capacité remplace le Chant du Barde actuel.".

What should I do about it ?

edit : I made a mistake

Edited by Jazira
11 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Put the EE string in as @223, the vanilla string as @224, and (when you have it) the new string in as @225.

At the moment, the @224 and @225 will be ignored, but I'll change the code to check them too.

Thanks for this.

@223 = ~Cette capacité remplace le Chant du Barde actuel.~ // must exactly match string from description of EE spcl920.spl
@224 = ~Cette faculté remplace la chanson du barde.~ // must exactly match string from description of vanilla spcl920.spl
@225 = ~Cette capacité remplace le Chant du barde.~ // must exactly match string from description of correcfrbg2ee spcl920.spl

Maybe you will need this :

Spoiler

To anyone else, please do not try to install it, it's not ready yet.

https://github.com/r-e-d/correctfrBG2EE

Edited by Jazira
On 9/20/2021 at 6:23 PM, DavidW said:

Out of interest, how did the vanilla and EE versions come to have different translations?

Long story short Beamdog and Mogi Group.

Beamdog hired a company, Mogi Group, to translate the new content of the EE. This company thought it was a good idea to modify nearly every sentence of the vanilla texts. This company thought it was a good idea to change nearly every character's affinity toward Charname (tutoiement/vouvoiement), some proper nouns, etc.

edit : Because Beamdog didn't have the legal copyrights to use the French vanilla translation at the first place. So Mogi Group copy/pasted the vanilla translation, and they putted arbitrary changes in it to call it their own.

But in a way, it's for the better, I suppose, it forced us to react, we already fixed tens of thousands things on both vanilla & EE translation fusion in our unofficial community driven project. None of those translations were perfect anyway.

edit : I made a mistake, I was talking about BG2/EE and not IWD/EE.

Edited by Jazira
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.