Dirty Guard

Hello @Kulyok & @jastey,

I'm actually translating the "A Dirty Guard in Candlekeep" component and i have a hard time understanding the meaning of a sentence.

The context is below this spoiler.

Spoiler

Charname is caught stealing by a guard. They are arguing, and charname say "You're kidding. Everybody loves me!" to witch the guard respond by the following sentence :

@35 = ~Me? I'm serious as a privy on a sunny morning.~

Is my understanding correct ? (NSFW, crude language)

Spoiler

Me ? I'm serious as taking a shit on a sunny morning. (Privy is a toilet)

Edited by Jazira

21 hours ago, jastey said:

I'm no help here, sorry. :(

I understand, don't worry. Kulyok's last post is from february 2019, so i guess there is no need to hold my breath here. :(

19 hours ago, Thimblerig said:

Not my content, sorry, and I can't speak for authorial intent. Good luck, though.

EDIT: Oops, you weren't addressing me. Sorry. That's what I get for reading email early in the morning... Ignore this. Cheers.

No problem. ;)

14 hours ago, Endarire said:

@Jazira
It's probably a crass reference to add humor while saying the guard is taking this matter quite seriously.  You're better off adding a local language phrase on this being a serious offense, or just outright say this is a serious matter.

Of course, i was just wondering if i understand it correctly. Privy could have been something like a private (military rank "Pvt") or something else, i'm not familiar to this word.

Thanks btw everyone for your replies.

@184 = ~But enough is enough, precious. Let's finish this. I'll take you up on this swing... one last time.~

What doe's "I'll take you up on this swing..." means ?

Context (NSFW) 

Spoiler

Charname is caught stealing by a guard. Charname consent to be punished by the guard, being whipped and then have sex with him. This is the end of their... exchange.

@181 = ~Can't restrain myself much longer. Ohhh... gods... yes, I'm going to bring you to the top of that mountain with me, girl... just spread your legs a little more for me...~
@182 = ~You feel it, don't you? Your whole body relaxing, your nipples tensing, every touch setting your skin on fire... and we could do it all night long. ~
@183 = ~I'm going to caress your naked shoulder with my whip... carry it across your breasts. Do you want to kiss it? It's brought you so much pleasure tonight...~
@184 = ~But enough is enough, precious. Let's finish this. I'll take you up on this swing... one last time.~
@185 = ~And we're done... though the last thing I want now is to be done with you.~

My guess : One last whip ? One last climax ? I count on you for being discret about this exchange ?

Edited by Jazira

What doe's "I'll take you up on this swing..." means ?

Context (NSFW) 

Spoiler

Charname is caught stealing by a guard. Charname consent to be punished by the guard, being whipped and then have sex with him. This is the end of their... exchange.                      @181 = ~Can't restrain myself much longer. Ohhh... gods... yes, I'm going to bring you to the top of that mountain with me, girl... just spread your legs a little more for me...~
@182 = ~You feel it, don't you? Your whole body relaxing, your nipples tensing, every touch setting your skin on fire... and we could do it all night long. ~
@183 = ~I'm going to caress your naked shoulder with my whip... carry it across your breasts. Do you want to kiss it? It's brought you so much pleasure tonight...~
@185 = ~And we're done... though the last thing I want now is to be done with you.~

My guess : One last whip ? One last climax ? I count on you for being discret about this exchange ?

24 minutes ago, Endarire said:

"Swinging" and "swingers" are associated slang-wise with sex.

Excuse me but, could you reformulate this sentence ? Because i really don't get it, sorry.

I heard "swingers" like "partner-swapping". Wich is not the case. And "Swinging"... well, I don't see the connection. Doe's it mean going back and forth ?

Do not hesitate to be very descriptive, understanding slang is not easy at all for non-native speakers.

I'm unsure how literally things translate.  In English, like in certain other languages, some phrases and concepts don't make much literal, intellectual sense:  Either you understand the context and connotation or you don't.  (My German teacher called them idioms or package deals.  The phrase "raining cats and dogs" in English usually means that the waters heavily fall from the sky, not that a pet store exploded and four-legged bodies are falling!)

Urban Dictionary: Swinger
Dictionary.com: Swinger

Also, regarding you previous assumption that swinging involved sex, you were correct.  You can also Google "English <phrase> meaning" like "English swinger meaning" to learn more.

Of course, that's the same thing with, i believe, every langauge. With the same example (heavy raining) in french we say : "Il pleut des cordes." It literally translate as "It's raining ropes".

I do already use this search tip. I am usually succesfull with it, but not this time (like the other one, serious as a privy...). :(

The only sexual meaning i've found is swapping sexual partner, wich is clearly not the case. I still don't see how i will translate this, because i still don't understand the sense of this sentence but i will find a way.

Thx anyway. ;)

Edited by Jazira

Of course, that's the same thing with, i believe, every langauge. With the same example (heavy raining) in french we say : "Il pleut des cordes." It literally translate as "It's raining ropes".

I do already use this search tip. I am usually succesfull with it, but not this time (like the other one, serious as a privy...). :(

The only sexual meaning i've found is swapping sexual partner, wich is clearly not the case. I still don't see how i will translate this, because i still don't understand the sens of this sentence but i will find a way.

Thx anyway. ;)

3 hours ago, Endarire said:

Translations come in two main forms, transliteration (word for word) and translation (thought for thought or intent for intent).

Obviously. But before translating, or transliterating, you got to understand your subject first. Wich i still don't, unfortunatly.