Patching doors?

Guest The_Swordalizer

Guest The_Swordalizer

I am currently working on my first mod (aaww isn't it sweet?) :)

I need to make the guarded compound door only openable with a certain key. however, currently it doesn't even have a door as the entrance is hidden by the building. I have never added a door to an area before and was wondering on the best way to do this. I seem to have 3 options at the moment:

1: Patch in a door and make it key openable. Is patching doors a good idea? or possible?

2: make the transition that is there at the moment only allow entry if you have the item with some kind of script (if this is possible).

3: overwrite AR0900. (Not a good idea). Any thoughts?

Guest The_Swordalizer

@ SConrad - I d/l WeiDU and NI about 3 weeks ago, never coded before. So I'm pretty much the definition of newb at the moment! But I'm willing to learn...

@ NiGHTMARE - Hmmm. I suppose total compatibility isn't possible between every mod. Making the Guarded Compound actually plot related is kind of the point of the mod, so major rewrite would be required.

@ Camdawg - Talking about that, I want to make the Twisted Rune HQ only accessible with the Guarded Compound rogue stone. Just amending the script should do that, right?

Guest The_Swordalizer

I thought you could add doors with WeiDU, by PATCHing. Can't you INSERT some BYTE's and WRITE the values as needed?

What about adding an info point, to enable you to reach a new area from a regular map? Is that possible?

WeiDU can be abused as a hex editor; the Tweak Packs are excellent examples of new and interesting ways to bend it to your will. That being said, a new door is entirely possible but probably overkill--I'd look at adding a script to the existing travel region or adding a new trigger, in that order.

While it would be unrealistic to add an actual door (which, as stated, requires updating the tileset, not to mention the WED file and the area definition), you can add a transition with WeiDU. It's more work than I'd favor, but not impossible.

As others have suggested, I'd look to either adding a script to the transition in question (look for the TRAN* and TELE* scripts that are used in the game), or simply disabling the transition (using TriggerActivation()) until you want the player to be able to enter.

I doubt you will be able to add the tiles of the door by weidu.

We are talking about thousands of bytes, not just a dozen.

INSERT_FILE was added a while back, with the idea of allowing stuff like BAMs to be appended. Nobody's done a practical illustration of it yet though.

INSERT_FILE was added a while back, with the idea of allowing stuff like BAMs to be appended. Nobody's done a practical illustration of it yet though.

Please don't say stuff like that within Cam's earshot. (Or the written word equivalent of that sentence.)

Guest The_Swordalizer

So, if you can't use a WeiDU solution to adding a door to an existing area, what is the preferred solutions among LEET MODARs? Do you just have to overwrite the area?

@Swordalizer:

Adding and using a script to the travel trigger is still a good solution, or if you need a simpler solution, you could activate or deactivate the trigger as needed as devSin suggests. You can use WeiDU to add a script to the travel trigger without overwriting the entire area, if the trigger does not have a script already. (It will involve a a bit of ninjary, so if you need help with it, just ask.)

And no, I will not be trying to add doors for exercise. :)

Archived