More from Six of Spades

Received via PM at Ironworks:

More things, mostly from my "Item Balancing" ideas.

Undisarmable Traps in Neb's and Dierex's--you've probably got these already.

CATTIBOW.ITM needs a text change: Instead of being a duplicate of Tansheron's Bow, it should be Taulmaril+3. Description states how it was found in the dwarven stronghold, Mithril Hall, in the ruined Hall of Dumathoin (a sort of museum). Those who are more familiar with the Drizzt novels than I am can supply greater detail.

Chainmail+2 has the same AC as Chain+1.

Dagger,Fire Tooth +3, DAGG12

Correct the Description--it puts the Fire damage in the THAC0 section. It would be nice if this and the Boomerang Dagger did the standard Dagger's 1D4 damage instead of their current overpowered 2D4, but I don't know if that belongs in BaldurDash.

Gloves of Healing, BRAC20 &

Gloves of Missile Snaring, BRAC18

Correct Usability, and possibly block Wizard spells while worn.

Methild's Harp, MISC3O

Fix the spell so that it actually *does* dispel hold-like effects

Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental, SCRL6X

Correct Inventory icon--right now I believe it uses the icon for Lesser Earth Elemental.

Kundane +2, SW1H25

Description does not mention the extra attack

Rod of Smiting, RODS04

Change the Save vs. Death to Save vs. Wands

The description for the Fire Tooth +3 is screwed up. This will fix that.

STRING_SET 39528 ~Dagger of Throwing +3 Firetooth
This throwing knife is imbued with magical fire, and was supposedly carved from an extracted red dragon tooth.  Tavern tales suggest that the beast is still alive, her anger fueling the enchantment within the weapon.  Though fanciful, the story is consistent, and it is said the dagger returns to the thrower "as though on wings."

STATISTICS:

Combat Abilities: dagger returns to the thrower
THAC0:  +3 bonus
Damage:  2D4 + 3, 1D2 fire damage
Damage type:  missile (piercing)
Weight: 1
Speed Factor: 1
Proficiency Type: Dagger
Type:  1-handed
Requires: 3 Strength
Not Usable By:
Cleric
Beast Master~

SCRL6X.ITM has the wrong icon. It currently uses the air elemental icon. This fix will change it to the proper fire elemental one.

COPY_EXISTING ~SCRL6X.ITM~ ~override~
 WRITE_ASCII 0x3A ~SPWI620A~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

The description for Kundane +2 does not mention that the weapon gives an extra attack. This code will fix that problem:

STRING_SET 7347 ~Kundane +2: Sword of Quickness

Disfigured as a child, Dramnek Olk was ostracized and ridiculed by his peers.  In his loneliness he spent many hours alone on the hills overlooking Trademeet.  A nearby wizard, Galloma discovered the youth and found in him a kindred soul.  The two fast became friends; master and apprentice.  Galloma died before Dramnek's tutorage could be completed however and the youth found himself once more alone in the world.  Eventually he made his way to the streets of Athkatla.  There he became a cutpurse, ######g his thieving skills with the little magic he'd learned from Galloma.  Eventually he crafted this sword, which enhanced Dramnek's weak physical body.  This weapon has no speed factor.

STATISTICS:

Equipped Ability:  Wielder gains +1 attack
THAC0:  +2 bonus
Damage:  1D6 + 2
Damage type:  piercing
Weight: 2
Speed Factor: 0
Proficiency Type: Short Sword
Type:  1-handed
Requires: 5 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric 
Mage
Beast Master~

Undisarmable Traps in Neb's and Dierex's--you've probably got these already.

Yep, ar0529 and ar2207.

CATTIBOW.ITM needs a text change: Instead of being a duplicate of Tansheron's Bow, it should be Taulmaril+3. Description states how it was found in the dwarven stronghold, Mithril Hall, in the ruined Hall of Dumathoin (a sort of museum). Those who are more familiar with the Drizzt novels than I am can supply greater detail.

This seems like a spurious change.

Chainmail+2 has the same AC as Chain+1.

Already fixed.

Dagger,Fire Tooth +3, DAGG12

Correct the Description--it puts the Fire damage in the THAC0 section. It would be nice if this and the Boomerang Dagger did the standard Dagger's 1D4 damage instead of their current overpowered 2D4, but I don't know if that belongs in BaldurDash.

Description is fixed by Rastor, above. Damage is not a fix.

Gloves of Healing, BRAC20 &

Gloves of Missile Snaring, BRAC18

Correct Usability, and possibly block Wizard spells while worn.

Usabilities are already correct (unusable by kensai and wizardslayers) otherwise I don't see any changes we need to make here.

Methild's Harp, MISC3O

Fix the spell so that it actually *does* dispel hold-like effects

Fixed, below.

Conjure Lesser Fire Elemental, SCRL6X

Correct Inventory icon--right now I believe it uses the icon for Lesser Earth Elemental.

Already fixed.

Kundane +2, SW1H25

Description does not mention the extra attack

Fixed by Rastor above.

Rod of Smiting, RODS04

Change the Save vs. Death to Save vs. Wands

Description explicitly states save is against death; not a bug.

Code for fixing Methlid's Harp:

// methlid's harp bugs
COPY_EXISTING ~misc3o.itm~ ~override~
 READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
 READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
 SET "delta" = 0
 FOR (index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index +1) BEGIN // looks for magical ability header
   READ_BYTE   ("%abil_off%" +        ("%index%" * 0x38)) "type"
   READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "abil_fx_idx"
   SET "abil_fx_idx" = ("%abil_fx_idx%" + "%delta%")
   WRITE_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "%abil_fx_idx%"
   PATCH_IF ("%type%" = 3) BEGIN // melee ability check
     READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "abil_fx_num"
     WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + ("%index%" * 0x38)) ("%abil_fx_num%" +  3)
     INSERT_BYTES  ("%fx_off%" +        ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 0x30 // new effect
       WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +        ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 240  // remove icon
       WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 2    // target: preset target
       WRITE_LONG  ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 55   // stun
       WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 1    // instant/perm
       WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x12 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 100  // probability
       WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +        ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 163  // free action
       WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 2    // target: preset target
       WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +        ("%abil_fx_idx%" * 0x30)) 46   // unstun
     SET "delta" = ("%delta%" + 3)
   END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Is there any way to remove spflayer and spmindat animations?

This seems like a spurious change.

There's certainly something spurious about getting two Tansheron's Bows. Definitely a bug.

I agree with CamDawg that this is stretching the definition of "bugfix," especially if we include Catti-Brie's sword--do we even know that they're supposed to be at a point in the Drizzt books when Catti-Brie has that sword? Neither Drizzt nor Catti-Brie has Bracers of the Blinding Strike, if I'm not mistaken (of course, you could say that's a bug and we should fix it too).

Perhaps you didn't hear me, Kish. Or you think Bioware intended you to pick up two bows with identical unique names and descriptions. But hey. Maybe the lich had two of them, and it's nothing to do with Bioware copying item files.

And all the other Drizzit characters largely have their gear acurately portrayed.  On that note, her sword should probably be that special sword of hers.

The sword is definitely not a bugfix.

Perhaps you didn't hear me, Kish. Or you think Bioware intended you to pick up two bows with identical unique names and descriptions. But hey. Maybe the lich had two of them, and it's nothing to do with Bioware copying item files.

Settle down there sparky. We could replace the bow outright or let her keep and use Tansheron's but drop a different bow. I don't think adding a new description and/or item based on something entirely outside of BG2 is a good solution.

The sword is definitely not a bugfix.

Varscoa itself probably *could* use some examination, since it appears on a huge number of creatures throughout the game, and yet is supposed to be unique. I think it's droppable a lot of the time too.

I agree with Sim on this one. Having two identical unique bows is silly. While I don't suggest changing anything about the bow itself, a minor update to the name and description would be warranted, I think. I'm especially thankful to whoever posted the original clarification -- I'd been putting this off for ages, and was afraid that I was just going to have to make something up.

We could replace the bow outright or let her keep and use Tansheron's but drop a different bow.
You would either have to patch the Malchor spawn blocks, or overwrite her bow to keep from breaking anything.

since it appears on a huge number of creatures throughout the game
Yeah. This somehow made its way to every single creature used in Chapter 6. I changed the name of some unique items so they were using their description name (Varscona, Ashideena, Borok's Fist, etc.), so I had to come up with a patch to swap this sword with the generic +2 long sword. It was annoying, but it eventually let me go back and make some other inventory changes to the Chapter 6 creatures (like having the elves in Suldanessellar actually wear elven chain mail).

Tansheron's Bow: Since the only thing that changes is the item's Description, and that to A. Stop duplicating a supposedly unique item and B. Bring the weapon in-line with an bow that Catti actually had, and I think at the point at which their party encounters CHARNAME, I don't see why anyone would object to it. The text change might not be technically termed a "bugfix," but rather, more like "cleaning up after BioWare's laziness." Just like the various alignment corrections made by Oversight -- and now the BG2 Fixpack.

I don't think adding a new description and/or item based on something entirely outside of BG2 is a good solution.
Ah, but it's not entirely outside of BG2: She's already carrying it. BioWare read that Taulmaril was +3 enchanted and could fire an infinite amount of phantom arrows. . . and said, "Ah, f* it, just slap Tansheron's on her for now."

Firetooth Dagger, Boomerang Dagger+2: If I were in your place, I would have tweaked these items, as well as the returning Throwing Axes and Hammers in the game, so that there were two versions of each item: Throwing and melee (similar to the Two-Handed Bastard Swords and Katanas tweak). The Melee version can be Dual-wielded, and the Throwing version is unusable by Kensai and Cavaliers (and, in the case of the Throwing Daggers, grants +1 ApR).

What exactly did you guys do with them?

Gloves of Healing, Gloves of Missile Snaring: For some reason, they are blocked off from Priests--and I think Wizards. Why would a Cleric not want to use an item that heals damage & disease? But they should impose a penalty to Wizard spellcasting, since gloves can muck up the fingers a bit.

Rod of Smiting: I had the understanding that spells cast by or through Rods, Staves or Wands were supposed to use the Save vs. Wands throw. And it would be nice to see this Save actually get some play. (Ooo, I just had an OotS moment: "Your Save vs. Wands cries itself to sleep.")

Varscona: I agree, there can be only one, unless you want to put forward the idea that "being buried alive, having the location of your tomb forgotten, and your fury at this turning you into a festering Revenant that comsumes your body and imbues the sword thrust through your body with a cold, burning rage" became a popular fad among Sharran priests. (Random related Ashes of Embers thought: Do Viconia's new proficiencies include Long Sword? She really needs to use this thing, especially since the party would have obtained it early in BG1.) I don't really care who gets the "one true" Varscona, as long as it's somebody who would be likely to have obtained it after the party was captured at the end of BG1, and their gear sold by Irenicus/Shadow Thieves. (I'm still ticked about the placement of the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.) I believe a copy of the sword exists on Ribald, but if so, then the party will pretty much never see it.

It was annoying, but it eventually let me go back and make some other inventory changes to the Chapter 6 creatures (like having the elves in Suldanessellar actually wear elven chain mail).

Yeah, I've been meaning to say something about that. Good call! Do they also have weapons that can actually hit Golems now? And spells that can actually hurt Rakshasa wouldn't be amiss either.

Other thoughts:

If the Fixpack's change to make doors consume their keys conflicts with Item Upgrade, then this change should best be made in an Optional but Cool component. When I first mentioned it, it was only to point out the inconsistency that only some doors destroyed their keys, and on top of that, some keys could still be retained after using them by putting them in a Bag of Holding (or, probably, the Key Ring as well) prior to use. So I think the best solution would be an optional component: Install it and all doors consume their keys, unless it's a key that opens multiple doors (like the Shadow Thief Cellar Key). Leave it uninstalled and no doors consume their keys, unless it's specifically stated that they do (like the Ja'ellat Wardstone, or Valygar's Body).

I really think that most of your suggestions, while worthwhile, fall outside the realm of the fixpack.

- Taulmaril isn't in the game, and while it could simply be laziness, BioWare's lack of attention to detail does not a bug make.

- Changes to throwing weapons are absolutely out of the question; there's not a shred of evidence suggesting this was ever intended, and there are no bugs beyond those fixed in the current implementation (search the archives for what's fixed; I think mostly incorrect APR adjustments and damage).

- Usability for gloves can be checked; we may already modify them.

- Unless a description specifically mentions a save vs. wand, these items will never be changed simply because they are wands/rods/staves.

- Varscona is something we may already change; if not, I'm sure it will be looking into eventually, but it'll be frightfully tedious.

- Doors don't lock again, so you never need the key. It's really a matter of perception as to which behavior (consuming the key or not) seems the most correct. In the case of the symbol, I'm certainly in favor of simply not marking that door to take the key.

Yeah, I've been meaning to say something about that. Good call! Do they also have weapons that can actually hit Golems now? And spells that can actually hurt Rakshasa wouldn't be amiss either.
NOTE: when I mention that I specifically do something, it's in reference to my own personal project.

THE FIXPACK DOES NOT ARBITRARILY ALTER CONTENT TO MAKE IT COOLER/BETTER/HARDER.

With the disclaimer out of the way:

I gave them magical weapons, so that they could affect the golems (only one can damage the clay golem, though, so beware!), as well as the skeleton warriors. I also added some abilities (really just one-shot force-cast spells), just to make them a little less level-1-get-killed-by-goblins, and to have one place in the game that uses spells like Luck. Originally, they're so weak that even Cernd (whose battle cry might as well be "Naught but air!") could take them all down by himself. The spells are a no; rakshasa in the game should be exceptionally difficult, IMO. In general, I tried to make it so that most of the elves stand a chance, excepting those fighting the rakshasa and the golems (they should be extremely difficult to save, if it's even possible), and the ones fighting the demon outside the palace may die if you don't intercept the demon in time. (Of course, I also added other things like random spawns from Jon's "army," and extra drow and rakshasa and such to spawn in the area (instead of just the golems), just so there's more to do than run to A then B then C and laugh at the elves along the way.)

NOTE: the fixpack DOES NOT make changes to the elves in Chapter 7, as there are no specific bugs with that content.

devSin's already covered most of this, so I just have a few things to add.

Tansheron's Bow: Since the only thing that changes is the item's Description, and that to A. Stop duplicating a supposedly unique item and B. Bring the weapon in-line with an bow that Catti actually had, and I think at the point at which their party encounters CHARNAME, I don't see why anyone would object to it. The text change might not be technically termed a "bugfix," but rather, more like "cleaning up after BioWare's laziness." Just like the various alignment corrections made by Oversight -- and now the BG2 Fixpack.

Tansheron's Bow is actually the sole reason why this is still in pending, as there is a change to be made here.

Firetooth Dagger, Boomerang Dagger+2: If I were in your place, I would have tweaked these items, as well as the returning Throwing Axes and Hammers in the game, so that there were two versions of each item: Throwing and melee (similar to the Two-Handed Bastard Swords and Katanas tweak). The Melee version can be Dual-wielded, and the Throwing version is unusable by Kensai and Cavaliers (and, in the case of the Throwing Daggers, grants +1 ApR).

What exactly did you guys do with them?

Any change to the Firetooth and the Boomerang dagger introduces alternate bugs; in the end it was decided to keep the original Bioware bugs instead of our own. The Optional But Cool: Mixed-use dagger fixes makes changes though--melee abilities are removed, +1 ApR, and damage goes to a base of 1d4. Now that I think about it, I suspect that the double throwing damage may be due to the halved number of attacks when being used as a throwing weapon.

Varscona: I agree, there can be only one, unless you want to put forward the idea that "being buried alive, having the location of your tomb forgotten, and your fury at this turning you into a festering Revenant that comsumes your body and imbues the sword thrust through your body with a cold, burning rage" became a popular fad among Sharran priests. (Random related Ashes of Embers thought: Do Viconia's new proficiencies include Long Sword? She really needs to use this thing, especially since the party would have obtained it early in BG1.) I don't really care who gets the "one true" Varscona, as long as it's somebody who would be likely to have obtained it after the party was captured at the end of BG1, and their gear sold by Irenicus/Shadow Thieves. (I'm still ticked about the placement of the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.) I believe a copy of the sword exists on Ribald, but if so, then the party will pretty much never see it.

Varscona is on the import lists, so it's possible the party can get it in CI. As such, every creature gets Varscona swapped for a generic +2 long sword.

If the Fixpack's change to make doors consume their keys conflicts with Item Upgrade, then this change should best be made in an Optional but Cool component.

One of the nice things about Wes giving me permission to update IU is that this won't be an issue for long. :)

Archived