Discussion of tipun’s IWD mods and their integration in EET games

JohnBob, if you're willing and able, various community members would like IWD1 & 2 in EET install options at least to auto-warp the party to safety after beating these games' respective final bosses.  This way, players avoid soft locking.

Thankee!

12 hours ago, JohnBob said:

special mod Icewind_EET should be installed as late as possible in your installation

But now we also have this info

https://github.com/Argent77/A7-TotLM-BG2EE/releases/tag/v3.1

https://argent77.github.io/A7-TotLM-BG2EE/index.html

Tipun's IWD-in-EET is largely compatible with this mod. Some of the creature and scripting improvements will not be available, however. IWD-in-EET must be installed before this mod.

I'm unsure which mod is "IWD-in-EET". Is this Icewind-EET ?

42 minutes ago, mickabouille said:

I'm unsure which mod is "IWD-in-EET". Is this Icewind-EET ?

I would think of IWD1_EET because it is the one that adds Trials of the Luremaster.

Icewind-EET allows the transition to IWD and should not be a problem.

Honestly I don't know !

It is better to ask, @argent77 if you don't mind, can you clarify this point ?

Trials of the Luremaster should be installed after IWD1_EET...

But does it have to be installed after Icewind-EET  ?

Edited by JohnBob
34 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

I would think of IWD1_EET because it is the one that adds Trials of the Luremaster.

Icewind-EET allows the transition to IWD and should not be a problem.

Yes, it refers only to IWD1_EET. I should further clarify it in the readme. There are so many IWD-in-EET-related mods by now that the current wording is no longer sufficient.

Btw, there will be another update for TotLM-in-BG2EE soon because I fixed several loopholes and potential softlocks in the meantime.

Guest the_sextein

Does anyone know how difficulty tweak works?  I am curious if I could install difficulty tweak HP boost to enemies before I install the Icewind Dale components so only enemies from Baldur's Gate get the HP adjustment.  Is that possible or does it make some kind of adjustment to the BG2 engine that will boost enemy HP of all opponents as they are installed even if they were installed after I ran the difficulty tweak?  Baldur's Gate is a bit on the easy side and it seems like enemies have already been altered by Tipun for his Icewind Dale mods so I don't want to add an additional HP adjustment to them.

Guest The_sextein

Never mind my last post.  I installed the games a couple of times and checked for myself.  You can run EET and then difficulty tweak it before running the icewind dale installation and it will increase HP of Baldur's Gate enemies only which is what I was hoping for.  I played Icewind Dale 1 EET with 200% HP boosts on top of whatever is being applied and it was very tough.  A little too frustrating for my liking but the Baldur's Gate games are too easy without SCS and a little HP boost.

Guest The_sextein

Hey @subtledoctorcould you possibly post the hotfix that gets the teleportation in the bridge district to HOW in a working state?  I have the version of your integration mod that you posted in the forum for EET and the dude shows up and teleports away without teleporting the party.

Guest The_sextein

@subtledoctor After a closer inspection of this thread, I see that your hotfix didn't work out.  Sorry I must have glossed over it.  Argent has had some luck doing something similar to what you are trying to do with his Trials of the Luremaster mod.  Maybe he could give you some tips.  I'm as clueless as can be when it comes to this sort of thing and it must be pretty difficult to have you and Tipun struggling with it like this.  I hope you guys get it cracked, it's so close to being fully realized.

Guest The_sextein

I tried and failed to fix the sound problems in IWDEET.  Only kernal of information that might be useful is that I found out the sound files are not the problem.  Importing quality sound files has no effect and I played the sound files from the IWDEET directory in near infinity and they sound fine.  It's only in game so it must be either something missing or something acting up in the infinity engine.  They sound compressed to me, like the game engine is playing them at a low bitrate but I have no clues and all of the original Baldur's Gate areas sound fine. 

I also tried to import backdrops into the mod by using direct source material from IWDEE and recreated the entire IDAR1000 folder but it didn't work.  Looks like some of the the files have had custom modifications to them and only the one who modded them would know what to do without spending years via trail and error.  I could attempt to modify the backdrops that IWDEET installs after the fact but it will take alot of time using that method.  I may take a stab at it this weekend and see how it goes.

Just a heads-up, I believe I have found a bug in tipun’s IWD mods that can cause fairly annoying/serious issues in a game. They can cause a lot of duplicated index numbers in PROJECTL.IDS and MISSILE.IDS. 

I am dealing with this in my current install by:

1. Comment out lines 541 and 542 of IWD2_EET/lib/_spells.tph before installing IWD2_EET. This will prevent any problems with projectiles, which have been most noticeable for me. 

2. After installing IWD2_EET, open MISSILE.IDS and delete the various duplicate lines - they are easy to spot and most/all are called “unnamed” or something like that, so I don’t think deleting them will be problematic. 

When I track down the MISSILE.IDS issue I will make a pull request to the IWD mods’ github repos to hopefully fix this. 

@JohnBob I don’t know how familiar you are with the mods’ code, or if you are only focused on the translations and/or map integration. I don’t know how important the code is in that _spells.tph file, and I don’t want to make a pull request changing it lightly. But I do know that, as things stand now, the IWD mods cause serious problems for projectiles introduced by other mods. If @tipun is active, they should be made aware of this. 

Tipun has been rarely active for a while, hasn't worked on IWD_EET for a long time and he's not likely to get back into it soon, if ever...

I'm more than willing to accept corrections on the repo, but not capable enough to do them myself... The part you mention is uncharted territory for me !

Don't hesitate to make a Pull request if you've found a serious or even less serious problem.

We haven't had a conversation on this very subject, but Tipun has always seemed in favor of other people maintaining his mod, so don't hesitate. I'll pass on your message and will report any futur changes to the ArcaneCoast forum, as I always do, so that he can be kept informed.

By the way, thanks for approving the pull request on IWD_Integration!

Edited by JohnBob

Hey, @subtledoctor! Been a while.
I'm getting a new run going and planning to give tipun's IWD mods a try.

That error you found with missiles -- is it only caused by IWD2_EET?  If I do not plan to install tipun's IWD2_EET, what alterations to your fix do I need to make -- if I need to make any changes at all?

EDIT: Never mind, I realized step 1 was about IWD2_EET. It looks like I avoid the entire issue if I do not install tipun's IWD2_EET.

Edited by Lightbringer