Beamdog Down

In this day and age, it's extraordinarily rare for an official company's online presence to be in any way seriously threatened by downtime: even for relatively smaller companies like Beamdog, it's pretty much pocket change for companies to do things right to ensure that downtime is pretty minimal. It's when you're just an individual or a small group of individuals and you just don't have the time, expertise, and/or money to needlessly burn on keeping something running that is where things can get dicey as soon as something goes wrong...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Has there been any talk of migrating projects elsewhere? No way to recover all the invaluable discussion that was lost, of course, but closing in on six months of no communication would seem to portend a rather grim outcome. Though I thought a similar situation recently with another site of mine that had been missing its lead for over six months before then going down for an entire month and a half with almost no communication basically meant the end of that site too, but I was proven wrong.

51 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Has there been any talk of migrating projects elsewhere? No way to recover all the invaluable discussion that was lost, of course, but closing in on six months of no communication would seem to portend a rather grim outcome. Though I thought a similar situation recently with another site of mine that had been missing its lead for over six months before then going down for an entire month and a half with almost no communication basically meant the end of that site too, but I was proven wrong.

Unfortunately this isn't exactly the first extended downtime, or the second, or the third, tho admittedly I haven't tried to keep track of which one has lasted the longest.  I wouldn't giving up just yet.  A decent number of mods have been added to the official SpellholdStudios github organization, and a large portion of historic public discussions and some downloads have been archived on the Wayback Machine / Internet Archive (if you know where to look).  Additionally, I have backed up some 80 GB of mod files and images/attachments on a local drive, tho many are not the latest version.  As far as full forum backups, probably only K'aeloree would have access to those, and after returning from the last downtime we lost more than a month of posts/updates.  This time could be better or worse.  Unless K'aeloree outright says he's done with SHS and he's sending the backups to the shredder, I've no interest in cobbling together a mass migration of content from scattered sources in the coming months.

In general, it's a really bad idea though for backups to be stored in one location only. Storage is so cheap today - simply preserving the forums for posterity in a frozen state shouldn't be too difficult. If @Kaeloree indeed has access to an offline backup, I hope he can share it with others before another unfortunate incident happens.