Neverwinter Night for Baldur's Gate mod

Finished the mod. Nicely done but the latter part made me remember one of the reasons why I hated NWN. At least one Chapter is bloat and shouldn't be there.

Anyway, on to my last comments:

1.png

* Poison sword: "fails a saving throw"

* Potion of Protection from Evil has extra blank spaces that shouldn't be there.

* Lich's Bane: "forged"

* Anonymous Letter: missing space after the dot.

* Helm's Holy Bow: "attacks"

* Terari: those quoting marks don't belong there.

* Aarin Gend 1: "Tell me about Luskan."

* For PC's response: you probably want "I'll return shortly" instead.

* Karlat: "Is this your journal?"

* Aarin Gend 2: "I want to talk about something else."

* Aarin Gend 3: The "Who you" at the end doesn't make sense. I'd remove it.

* The item descriptions with the white point instead of the fancy letter happens because you're starting the text with ( " ) or ( . ). Try to work around that.

* Summoner's Staff is missing a description BAM reference (any vanilla staff should do).

* Staff of Sight: as the item name suggets, the proper spell name is True Sight, not True Vision.

* The Cracked Anvil map note ends with a stop, when map notes usually don't.

* Aarin Gend 4: "But of course, you didn't do it"

* Quint: "He didn't destroy it" and "Is this your journal?"

* High Captain dialogue is missing final dot.

* Aruph: Yes response is missing the final dot.

* Blacksmith: "What do you sell?"

* Deltagar: "What are their demands?"

* Astral Maiden: the yep response is awfully out of place for the game, but especially for the role of a judge.

* Zokan: "I am <CHARNAME>"

* Yvette: "I want money up front to do this"

* Gregor Armiste 1: "I am new to the city. I need directions"

* Lord Nasher: "Maybe you have a chance to make it all better"

* Gregor Armiste 2: "wizard's"

* Belial: the "She" should be capitalized.

* Map notes should be "Helm's Hold" and "Fort Ilkart" instead of "Helm Hold" and "Ford Ilkart"

2.png

* Portrait for Lokar seems to be an edit (or an uncanny resemblance) of Domingo Sarmiento, statesman and former president of Argentina. While most won't know him, this is immersion-breaking. I'd suggest changing it.

* The dialogue with Gorgotha when she rewards you suggests she gives you the finest item of her hoard. However, unless you succcesfully ask for more (CHA check), she will only give you gold. If you do succeed with the check, she says she adds a ring on top of the previous item, but she gives you the Caster's Crown instead. I'd move the crown to the default reward and find a ring to add to the second scenario.

* Description BAMs for Alhelor's Tooth, Fairy Dust, Ironwood, Corpse Hand, and Belladonna could use existing vanilla BAMs (CKEY26, CMISC5Q, CMISC6E, CMISC5S, for the first four). Belladonna flower you might have to look for the resource in BG1 and copy it (you are pointing to the same name but the BAM seems to be missing).

* The description BAM for the Time Crystal is that of a bowl.

3.png

* The upper part of Beorunna's Well seems to have part of a derelict boat. This was the only graphic mistake I found in all the maps during this playthrough.

I've attached 10 more description BAMs. I still have a few left marked to do, hopefully soon.

new desc bams.rar

Edited by Daulmakan
39 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

@Daulmakan, what's the chapter you would cut and why? 

The whole game.

But yeah, chapter 3 feels out of place. Spoilers if you're 20 years late to the party, heh:

Spoiler

You're told Morag's army is already winning battles (against who and where? Nasher's allies in the vicinity are also crippled by different things, which is what you have to deal with in the chapters after the prelude) and they conveniently wait to siege NWN until you have the last of the three Words of Power (which in turn are all rendered semi-useless because there's a fourth one that's more powerful than the others, of course). Already a crap mechanic in the first place, the first search for the 4 animal mcguffins wasn't enough, now you have to do it AGAIN. And, even if quest dearailing is par for the course in RPGs, everything in NWN seems meaningless. Why are you doing random fetch quests instead of looking for the Words (which in turn is what the game has you doing instead of fighting Morag's army), why are the NPCs asking you to waste your time playing lawyer when they know what's at stake (also, ANOTHER trial? WHY?) Why are you wasting your time in protecting the supply routes to NWN as if it was a war of attrition instead of a race against the clock? Yeah yeah, everything is optional but you get what I mean. Nothing is memorable, you go from hunting a half-orc bandit to hunting orc chiefs. You're told time is almost up for the world but the game has you killing orcs in caves while trying to advance the main quest. Nobody has found these mysterious ruins from the dawn of civilization but they're a hole from the surface away... And don't get me started on time travelling.

9 minutes ago, paladin84 said:

To clarify: the mod is good, I really enjoyed playing through it and I like it more than the original NWN game. But you would not expect it to fix all the bad plot decisions of the original game, wouldn't you?

No no, I was talking about the original NWN since Morgoth asked. I prefer the mod as well. 

I've attached the last batch of bams to this post. 

Some more things I've just remembered:

* At the very beginning of the mod, I think there was a reference to "Ascathla"

* I believe the inventory BAMs for rounds 1 & 3 of the gauntlet medals are inverted.

Thank you again for maintaining the mod. Sometime I'll give it another try using all the NWN NPCs.

last bams.rar

Posted (edited)

Thank you again a lot, I think I fixed everything (or almost everything) you mentioned (now and before) that were actually bugs. The only thing (I guess), that is not going to be fixed (at least now) is the boat. It is difficult to notice, so let's consider this some broken siege machine.

Edited by paladin84
1 hour ago, paladin84 said:

The only thing (I guess), that is not going to be fixed (at least now) is the boat. It is difficult to notice, so let's consider this some broken siege machine.

Do you have any original images that were used to create that location? I should be easy to add some layer in photoshop to hide this boat...

55 minutes ago, Roberciiik said:

Do you have any original images that were used to create that location? I should be easy to add some layer in photoshop to hide this boat...

I can provide a png (converted from tis in original assembly) but I don't have an original image. Can you make remove a boat in such a png?

Sorry to be the person to raise this question, but now that more and more modders seem to be involved:

What about copyright concerns regarding this mod? According to the article linked above in the thread, the mod is largely based on graphics taken from PoE1&2 and The Witcher 3. In the past, this approach (to base the mod largely on third-party assets) was the red line that most modders were reluctant to cross. I don't want to badmouth anything or anyone, but I do feel it's important that we address the situation openly as a forum and community. How does the community feel about this?

Edited by Acifer

I understand that concern, but since we've been living for a couple of years with a mod that basically pirates IWD 1&2, I don't think *this* is the point at which a line has been crossed.

(I say that as someone who loves both mods, but is also in awe of acifer's artwork in his mods)

Posted (edited)

I think I saw this discussion in other forum here and I don't know what is the right answer. Of cource, if somebody from right owners tell me to stop working on this mod and remove it if from everywhere, I will immediately do this. For the rest, I am not the one, who created this content, but I created this mod (extracted content, adapted it for EE, wrote weidu code) initially for myself. And when the mod was kind of ready, I decided to share it with the community, so other people can enjoy it. Honestly, it was easy decision for me, I realise how much work AGKanevchev did to create this mod and it would be a crime not to share it. And without these "stolen from other games" maps this content would probably never exist.

Saying all of that, I understand, that some poeople might think that it is too much, and if the community here think that I should remove my post, I will do this.

Edited by paladin84