Neverwinter Night for Baldur's Gate mod

11 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

Some text suggestions, these are from v0.95, I apologise if some of them have already been reported:

I fixed all the texts (https://github.com/abalabokhin/NWNForBG/commit/841b44fc9b189fa99b74c110840c628c4f0fa24a), thank you again (only in English for now, but other languages are going to be fixed soon). The only thing, I am afraid of is to change Chinese, so if a Chinese translator can send me fixes for tra files, it would be awesome.

Also, I didn't fix ~'bout~. These texts doesn't look for me as low-intellectual options and they are taken directly from NWN texts. If more English speaking people can verify that ~'bout~ is bad and it should be changed to ~about~, I will fix this as well.

Minor heads up, some mods seem to be tripped by this mod, at least Trap Overhaul and Jtweaks's random spawn points components that I could see. Easily avoided by installing them before NWNforBG2 of course, but just in case someone else find this problem.

The conflict seems to be with two worldmap files, NWINFO01.ARE and NWINFO02.ARE. The comments in the code mention being dummy files to work with the game's map system, so I'm guessing they have non standard formatting or data that might be catching those other mods unaware.

49 minutes ago, paladin84 said:

Also, I didn't fix ~'bout~. These texts doesn't look for me as low-intellectual options and they are taken directly from NWN texts. If more English speaking people can verify that ~'bout~ is bad and it should be changed to ~about~, I will fix this as well.

'bout - is how the text appears in the actual dialog file from NWN Diamond. This also applies to various of the other texts flagged up - NWN appears to have had built in responses for low intelligence characters (eg "Me want know 'bout you" is original game text). For my part, when sifting through the English text I left a lot of these alone where they were clearly coming from the official NWN text and were not the result of machine translation.

Edited by megrimlock
32 minutes ago, megrimlock said:

'bout - is how the text appears in the actual dialog file from NWN Diamond. This also applies to various of the other texts flagged up - NWN appears to have had built in responses for low intelligence characters (eg "Me want know 'bout you" is original game text). For my part, when sifting through the English text I left a lot of these alone where they were clearly coming from the official NWN text and were not the result of machine translation.

I also didn't touch low intelligence options in English tra files. However, they appeared in the texts by mistake, so it would be nice to fix them. The question is rather, what is wrong with 'bout, these phrases don't look low intelligence for me, so I would keep them "as is".

39 minutes ago, Connelly said:

Minor heads up, some mods seem to be tripped by this mod, at least Trap Overhaul and Jtweaks's random spawn points components that I could see. Easily avoided by installing them before NWNforBG2 of course, but just in case someone else find this problem.

The conflict seems to be with two worldmap files, NWINFO01.ARE and NWINFO02.ARE. The comments in the code mention being dummy files to work with the game's map system, so I'm guessing they have non standard formatting or data that might be catching those other mods unaware.

Oh, thank you. Is it possible to fix this in NWNForBG mod? All the areas in the mod start with NW (it is the mod's prefix) but if it can cause any trouble I would like to fix it. I don't understand the issue right now, and will try to investigate it. I can at least add a note in README about possible conficts with these mods.

2 hours ago, paladin84 said:

bg2 events are blocked (the same way, how they are blocked when you are in Underdark), so nothing should be broken. But it is nice to finish NWN content with NWN companions, at least they have something to say about what is going on and have their personal quests.

Nice. You should definitely mention that in the Readme.

1 hour ago, paladin84 said:

I fixed all the texts (https://github.com/abalabokhin/NWNForBG/commit/841b44fc9b189fa99b74c110840c628c4f0fa24a), thank you again (only in English for now, but other languages are going to be fixed soon). The only thing, I am afraid of is to change Chinese, so if a Chinese translator can send me fixes for tra files, it would be awesome.

It's not a grammatical error, but rather a consistency one. The game doesn't use it anywhere else and it sounds out of place.

3 minutes ago, megrimlock said:

The game definitely uses 'bout in numerous places. I think it's fine. Not all of these are low intelligence instances, others are characters speaking in a vernacular.

I'm talking about BG2, not NWN.

1 hour ago, Daulmakan said:

Overall, I agree, there are no ~'bout~ when PC is talking in BG1/2 (PC should not have any "accents") and this can be fixed here. But I cannot just replace all ~'bout~ to ~about~ in the mod's texts, because it would affect some NPCs' accents (where it is more than appropriate). Thus, I will fix everything that was reported before and keep fixing it per request (where it is clear that it is PC's text).

2 hours ago, Daulmakan said:

I mean, it does appear frequently in BG2 also (quick scan of the dialog.tlk confirms this), but paladin84 is right, it's always NPCs talking like this. But I think this raises an interesting point. How many mods are held to the standard that Gorion's Ward has to speak in the same *idiom* as vanilla content? And what is that idiom, exactly? If there is a canon idiom/tone for the Bhaalspawn's conversational style, is the "Foolio Displasius" line considered canon? Or "Dinkamus Littlelog"? Or are we to assume that the canon lines for the main character are always the straightforward/earnest/boring ones?

5 hours ago, paladin84 said:

Overall, I agree, there are no ~'bout~ when PC is talking in BG1/2 (PC should not have any "accents") and this can be fixed here. But I cannot just replace all ~'bout~ to ~about~ in the mod's texts, because it would affect some NPCs' accents (where it is more than appropriate). Thus, I will fix everything that was reported before and keep fixing it per request (where it is clear that it is PC's text).

That's quite alright.

Here are 4 more description bams for you.

desc bams.rar

Posted (edited)

Here is new release: https://github.com/abalabokhin/NWNForBG/releases/tag/0.96

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1p2UyHdoqXZrsjzlgUhtNQEuP_cyGidQd/view

It turned out to be quite big, most important changes are:

1) Fixed graphical "glitches" for EE version.
2) Added a component (EE only), so that NWN has a separate map (thanks to @Arkie and @p_zombie).
3) Added component (EE only) to make it possible to play NWN as a separate campaign (thanks to @tipun)
4) Icons on the map moved to match bp-bgt-worldmap v13

More detailed changelog, new component limitations, etc. can be found in the README.

Edited by paladin84