Neverwinter Night for Baldur's Gate mod

5 hours ago, paladin84 said:

It is not a total conversion and never was (at least how I understand "total conversion", you still playing BG2, when a man from Neverwinter find you in Athkatla). Main hero should have enough experience to start NWN - all the enemies and items are designed, assuming the main hero has at least 1.5M XP. It would probably be more logical to have this content as a total conversion and start with level 1 (as was with original NWN), but it is how AGKanevchev made it originally and I am not going to change it.

So it's basically like how HoW is triggered in IWD?

Because judging from the scale, I would have assumed that a "total conversion" would make sense. If it's really like how HoW can be triggered in IWD, then I still would consider providing an option or a component at least for EEs to allow it being installed as a campaign, with that 1.5M starting XP and starting items aligned to that.

1 hour ago, Graion Dilach said:

So it's basically like how HoW is triggered in IWD?

Because judging from the scale, I would have assumed that a "total conversion" would make sense. If it's really like how HoW can be triggered in IWD, then I still would consider providing an option or a component at least for EEs to allow it being installed as a campaign, with that 1.5M starting XP and starting items aligned to that.

Yes, something similar... Or how IWD1/2-EET work - you have the special man who move you there (and you are pretty much locked there, until you finish) and who appears because of some special conditions (particular BG1-2 Chapter for IWD1-2, particular amount of XP for NWN). I guess, "total conversion" option does make sence for EET and I am ok to do this (I will ask AGKanevchev but he will probably be ok as well) if no actual NWN content is changed. The main issue that idk how to code this in weidu (I am still a newbie in weidu coding), so if you can provide a very detailed description how to do this or even better the github pull request, it would helped a lot.

I wouldn't change the content either (excluding maybe cutting out the ending if it warps back to Athkatla) and would do this in a separate component. Maybe even a secondary minimod, which would also set up a custom starting inventory, since none of the default ones sound appropriate in my mind. I've added this to my to-do list.

17 minutes ago, Graion Dilach said:

I wouldn't change the content either (excluding maybe cutting out the ending if it warps back to Athkatla) and would do this in a separate component. Maybe even a secondary minimod, which would also set up a custom starting inventory, since none of the default ones sound appropriate in my mind. I've added this to my to-do list.

If you do it in a dedicated mod, it is even better. I am not sure that PC needs many items: he/she starts in the city core, so there are no enemies, but some stores and joinable NPCs. Thus, some decent amount of gold (I would say 10k-20k) shoule be sufficient to start.

1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

I can’t think how I could help, but maybe this example code for getting a new campaign into the EET ‘Campaigns’ list might be handy?

Thanks, I will try to understand it when I have time, but I don't think I can do it any time soon, I would rather spend my time on fixing English now.

The mod is big, I am not sure what to compare it with, it is probably as big as IWD2. I am not very good at promoting, so I didn't prepare any let's plays or good screenshots, but here you can see couple of area maps: https://arcanecoast.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2196859&sid=5d4387da0309932f0384fa293925f4c6#p2196859

11 minutes ago, JohnBob said:

@paladin84, Congrats on the release !

Thank you and thank you for the screenshot.

Edited by paladin84
10 hours ago, Cacofiend said:

Awesome, it is probably more promotion than one could wish. I hope they can fix the article to name the author properly.

Meanwhile I changed my scripts to better find the combined original NWN lines in the mod tra files. It reduces number of English lines that needs to be proof-read (with NP marker) a lot. It is 2K now instead of 5K. We (me and megrimlock) will do our best to check these lines as fast as possible, but it will still take some time.

It means that in the main branch of the repo: https://github.com/abalabokhin/NWNForBG the most recent English text can be taken, but it is not guaranteed that the tra files formatting is 100% correct all the time.

Edited by paladin84

Awesome mod! I just finished it. Played a solo Half-Orc Fighter (Berserker). Got top tier gear in the original campaign before heading over at level 20. A full party should need much less xp/items, but I'm a stubborn soloist. To anyone building a party, a Paladin (Inquisitor) (or just Carsomyr on a Paladin or Fighter/Rogue with Use-Any-Item) would be useful as there are a lot of enemy spellcasters with protection spells. There are some weapons similar to Carsomyr in the mod, but they are limited in the early game. The massive bag of holding (for sale in the city) is amazing! Since I never need much gold, I like keeping all my unused items instead of selling them.

Dev, is there a suggested BG2EE version to use? I'm having dialogue/talk-table issues. GOG BG2EE 2.6.6.0 gives me major dialog/tlk problems. Map markers, grey flavor text in dialogue, NPC nameplates etc all show random dialog/tlk entries. Same issues with Steam.

BG2EE 2.5.16.6 has been the best one so far. No dialog/tlk issues so far EXCEPT for items. Item descriptions for new items are only visible when the item has NOT been identified, and random dialog/tlk text appears instead when they are identified. I work around this using DLTCEP to open the item files and fix the descriptions whenever I get a new one.

Here are some other issues I ran into.
1: NWYUSAM.TRA (English version), line @9, needs a closing tilde '~'. The install failed before I fixed this.
2: Item descriptions for new items are only visible when the item has NOT been identified, and random dialog/tlk text appears instead when identified. I work around this using DLTCEP to open the items and fix the descriptions whenever I get a new one.
3: Chapter 1: Helm's Hold, spider caves, there is a massive spider (might be using a Bebelith model). When it enters combat, the game crashes. I worked around this with either Invisibility (so it never noticed me or entered combat) or CONTROL-Y to kill it.
4: NWLERK.DLG, the dialog for when the party already has Wanev's Guardian Stone has a broken trigger. (SetGlobal("BridgeIsOpen","MYAREA",1), so it only triggers when the bridge is already open. I got around this with DLTCEP and fixing the variable trigger to (SetGlobal("BridgeIsOpen","MYAREA",0).
5: Quest Item NWMISC32 (Journal of Synth La'narel), found in Chapter 2 Troll Caves area NW2704, disappears after resting if it's on the ground, and it starts on the ground. I got around this with console commands. For cut and paste if anyone else needs it, I used CLUAConsole:CreateItem("NWMISC32")
6: Creature "Death Slaad Lord" (NWSLAADD) uses the wrong model (0x5013 cleric_female_halfling).

Despite the bumps installing, this mod is amazing. I loved it. Thank you very much.

Edited by BSpecific
Added more reported bugs. Finished game.

Oops, sorry just noticed the message. I'm glad you liked the mod, even considering lots of issues you faced.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:20 PM, BSpecific said:

Dev, is there a suggested BG2EE version to use? I'm having dialogue/talk-table issues. GOG BG2EE 2.6.6.0 gives me major dialog/tlk problems. Map markers, grey flavor text in dialogue, NPC nameplates etc all show random dialog/tlk entries. Same issues with Steam.

I tested with latest version (2.6.6) and didn't noticed such issues (like wrong names). It looks like you installed the mod, started the games, then reinstalled it and load the old save. I didn't test with 2.5.16, though... Can you verify that the described issues persist for fresh installed mod on the fresh (BG2EE 2.6.6.0) game and if you start the new game?

1. Yes, I am fixing English version all the time and it might be broken tildas in the master branch.

2. Sorry for that, I guess my advice to take the version from the master branch was not that good. I was trying to automatically remove "Usable by" from items for EE version and did something wrong. It is fixed now (in master) and the latest released version didn't have this issue.

3. I was definitely fixing crash with this spider, I will double check it again, thank you.

4. - 5. Thank you, I will fix the bugs.

PS. The English texts are almost done (thanks a lot to @megrimlock for help), so hopefully it will be the new release soon with all the (known) bugs fixed.

Edited by paladin84
On 11/12/2023 at 8:05 PM, BSpecific said:

Yes, I absolutely saved on one version and loaded it with another. I'll try a clean install and a new save game, and teleport around a bit with console commands to see if I find the same nameplate/talk table issues. I'll post back here in a few days.

Thank you! I also tried to reproduce the issues 3-5. For that I installed the mod on clear 2.6.6.0 version. While 6 is definitely a bug and will be fixed I wasn't able reproduce 3-5:

3. I summoned the creature (C:CreateCreature("NWSPID0")) and run around a lot, no crashes. However I had crashes with this creature before and I am not sure why it was happening (can it crash because of broken animation or so?). But the current version works fine for me.
4. I teleported to NW2300 (C:MoveToArea("NW2300")) and talked to Lerk with and without NWWANEVH (C:CreateItem("NWWANEVH")), all the dialogs looks fine for me and the bridge opens when it should. Actually killing him didn't open the bridge, but it should be fixed now.
5. I teleported to NW2704 (C:MoveToArea("NW2300")) and rested a lot, but the journal didn't disappear. I don't know why and how the items one the ground should disappear, but simply resting at this area (shall I leave the area?) didn't make the journal disappear.

Can you try to reproduce the bugs and give me more details if you can do it and if it not too much work for you, please?

We (with @megrimlock) finished proof-reading the English texts for the mod. Thus, there are no more non-verified machine translated texts in the mod. There are still might be some minor mistakes or imperfections: automatic matching lines might have considered that the lines are the same, while they are not (eg east and west might be confused). However, generally the mod should have a very good English localization at this moment. If somebody can play it in English, read carefully all the texts and send me corrections, it would be awesome.

Thus, here is the new release.

Other than the English language, lots of other small things were fixed for the mod (see readme for details). Now I am planning to publish new releases only with bug fixes, localization or other small things changes. At some point I might add some new content, but it is not going to happen any time soon.

If somebody wants to translate the mod on a new language, now, as English localization is considered finished, I can redo my scripts to prepare new mapping (the mod lines->original NWN lines) and create "almost ready" localization for any language (mixed with English). However, you still should be ready to translate/find match for about 2.5K-3K lines. Due to the fact, that preparing new language files will take some of my time, please, request such "almost ready" localization only if you are ready to finish it.

PS: I am still more than happy to answer any questions, fix bugs, change tra files and accept pull requests...

I'm back after testing the newest version on a clean install / save file.

1: Fixed

2: Fixed!

3: Still crashing at the spider in area NW1040 (picture attached, though it doesn't show much).

4: Fixed! You mentioned you couldn't reproduce the issue. I can't either. Could have been because of my cross version saves.

5: Able to replicate. I found the item on the ground (NW2704), but I didn't pick it up. I left the map goign northeast to (NW2705), rested a bunch (48 hours or more), then returned and it had disappeared.

image.png