v35 comments / questions (report a bug in a new topic, not here)

39 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

I actually don’t hate this. The initial attack makes the Servant turn visible so the rest of you party can target and handle it after that. The quest is given by a temple and the reward is enough to afford you a Raise Dead/Resurrection… it is actually a pretty good time in the game to begin engaging the systems related to party member death and resurrection. 

I for one never played with the component that disables permanent death (much like other mod tweaks; wearing multiple protection items, weapon grand mastery for multi-classes) because that's a modification that simply makes the game easier in removing a risk you'd otherwise plan around.

So party member deaths, especially from an enemy capable of high physical damage, are something I assiduously avoid.

It's still possible to complete SCS + Ascension solo, so even the rest of the party dying permanently can be coped with, but death and the need for resurrection is sometimes I'd want to see as few times as possible, ideally not at all.

10 hours ago, boof said:

MY problem with Bassilus is that on some installs he'll get the Aerial servant, and on others it will be something harmless like harm (ironic) or heal. I've expressed the opinion in the past that randomized spells on some of these climactic encounters really hurt the experience depending on the install.

Harm is funnily enough harmless if cast by a solo cleric because they don't have the APR to finish you off, but remember some of the skeletons have ranged weapons (unless you kite him to avoid the touch spell connecting). Heal is indeed usually a wasted slot for enemy clerics, I've never seen it make a difference on the rare occasions they get it off successfully, it's most notable when (instant speed) cast by dragons and sometimes planetars.

I don't have a problem with a spellcaster one shot killing party members, so long as it's something you can reasonably counter, like if he were to cast Flamestrike which is also probably instant death in this encounter but with a fair chance to interrupt or juke it.

13 hours ago, boof said:

I understand some people like to play "naturally" and go to Nashkel Mines at level 1, but you installed a difficulty mod of your own volition, and should adjust your play accordingly. Not ask for things to be nerfed.

I mostly agree with this.  If you want to rush Nashkel at level 1 (which admittedly the game pushes you to do), then don't install Improved Kobolds.  If you want the gold and Ashideena early, don't install Improved Bassilus encounter. If you install them, plan and play accordingly.    

My specific complaint has to do with the interaction of Potions for NPCs and the relocated parties of assassins.  I like both of these components, but I dislike how it forces me to deal with backstabbing thieves with invisibility potions so early in the game. I don't like rushing the basilisks or using other experience exploits, and so I'm typically around level 3-4 after clearing Nashkel, which is when the roaming assassins can randomly appear. 

At this stage in the game, unless you make side trips to tombs or Sil's cave, you should have only one invisibility potion.  I don't know how many invisibility potions SCS grants the assassins, but I'm fairly sure it is more than one.  So, what are my options for countering invisibility? Again, I am level 3-4 so my spell slots are limited.  I can use Glitterdust, which I find unreliable at best. I might have Detect Invisibility, but that only works once, and there goes my level 2 spell slots.  I don't have Invisibility Purge yet.  So, my only real options are (i) roll an Inquisitor, (ii) prioritize Detect Illusions on a thief (over detect traps and lockpicking), or (iii) don't install the components.  I typically choose not to install the roaming assassins component, but I wish I could because I like that component.  What I would love is an .ini option to limit the number of invisibility potions to one (the same amount a player typically has at that level) so that Detect Invisibility would be a reliable counter.  

Edited by Delior

" I can use Glitterdust, which I fund unreliable at best. "

Install Spell Revisions + SubtleD's Spell Tweaks:

Spell Revisions

This spell creates a cloud of glittering golden particles within the area of effect. The sparkling dust dazzles all opponents in the area (-2 penalty to attack rolls) for 4 rounds and reveals any opponents who are invisible. Those affected must also save vs. breath to avoid becoming completely covered by the dust, which cannot be removed and continues to sparkle for 4 rounds. Those failing the save remain unable to successfully hide themselves until the dust fades.

SubtleD's Spell Tweaks

No saving throw is allowed to avoid the inability to turn invisible. An AC penalty is added to match the thac0 penalty.

1 hour ago, Delior said:

At this stage in the game, unless you make side trips to tombs or Sil's cave, you should have only one invisibility potion.  I don't know how many invisibility potions SCS grants the assassins, but I'm fairly sure it is more than one.  So, what are my options for countering invisibility? Again, I am level 3-4 so my spell slots are limited.  I can use Glitterdust, which I find unreliable at best. I might have Detect Invisibility, but that only works once, and there goes my level 2 spell slots.  I don't have Invisibility Purge yet.  So, my only real options are (i) roll an Inquisitor, (ii) prioritize Detect Illusions on a thief (over detect traps and lockpicking), or (iii) don't install the components.  I typically choose not to install the roaming assassins component, but I wish I could because I like that component.  What I would love is an .ini option to limit the number of invisibility potions to one (the same amount a player typically has at that level) so that Detect Invisibility would be a reliable counter.  

I think there may be an invisibility potion or two in the manor type houses in Beregost and/or Nashkel. There is one at least.
Maybe it's just my install, but the initial Dorn ambush bandits drop a bunch of invisibility potions. So make sure to talk to Dorn to trigger the ambush upon going to Nashkel mines.
As for invis detection, I always buy up the detection scrolls from High Hedge. There should be two?
I don't learn them typically, and keep them until the amazon ambush is done.
At the end of the day, the backstabbers in that ambush have a mere backstab multiplier of 2. You should be able to tank the backstabs relatively safely with any class able to wear a helmet, especially when not on double damage.

3 hours ago, polytope said:

Harm is funnily enough harmless if cast by a solo cleric because they don't have the APR to finish you off, but remember some of the skeletons have ranged weapons (unless you kite him to avoid the touch spell connecting).

It's not even the lack of apr, it's just seeing that he cast harm means taking a brief time out until it expires.

Edited by boof
2 hours ago, Delior said:

What I would love is an .ini option to limit the number of invisibility potions to one (the same amount a player typically has at that level) so that Detect Invisibility would be a reliable counter.  

It's actually random: they have a 50% chance of having one potion, a 25% chance of two, and a 25% chance of none.

12 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I actually don’t hate this. The initial attack makes the Servant turn visible so the rest of you party can target and handle it after that. The quest is given by a temple and the reward is enough to afford you a Raise Dead/Resurrection… it is actually a pretty good time in the game to begin engaging the systems related to party member death and resurrection. 

The initial attack made my party-member permanently dead, she got hit for 60 hp and she can't be resurrected, that's what I've been saying all along, what is it that people don't comprehend?

-----------------------------------

Allright, I installed the new version without tactical challenges, I don't need them to enjoy the game. I also installed to mods that alter some gameplay mechanics after it. Any idea why Tarnesh and Neira didn't attack but stayed blue until I spoke to them?

11 hours ago, Delior said:

I mostly agree with this.  If you want to rush Nashkel at level 1 (which admittedly the game pushes you to do), then don't install Improved Kobolds.  If you want the gold and Ashideena early, don't install Improved Bassilus encounter. If you install them, plan and play accordingly.  

Yeah.  Go kill some Basilisks first.  That'll get a party of 5 to level 3 easily.  Go into the mines with plenty of sleep spells and the necklace of missiles.

Edited by Axatax
On 11/29/2023 at 6:49 PM, boof said:

Asking for kobold nerfs? What the...

Regarding the kobolds, it's not the difficulty but the thematics. Kobolds don't do tanky. If those 25-HP creatures were some sort of beast instead (kobolds can have pets, right?) then they'd be fine. (Also, 3 XP for a 4-HD creature is ridiculously low. Those stats are almost a match for a worg - level 3, 26 HP, AC 6, 1 APR, base THAC0 17 and damage 1d8 with +1 to hit and +3 damage from 18/40 strength. And a worg is 120 XP.)

2 hours ago, Guest Hazzy said:

Any idea why Tarnesh and Neira didn't attack but stayed blue until I spoke to them?

They're not supposed to go hostile until you talk to them. But they are supposed to initiate conversation on their own, as soon as they see you. SCS might trade a "walk up to melee range and talk" script for "start talking at range", but it doesn't mess with override scripts like that otherwise. If they didn't talk on their own, maybe something else broke their scripts?

Edited by jmerry
7 hours ago, jmerry said:

They're not supposed to go hostile until you talk to them. But they are supposed to initiate conversation on their own, as soon as they see you. SCS might trade a "walk up to melee range and talk" script for "start talking at range", but it doesn't mess with override scripts like that otherwise. If they didn't talk on their own, maybe something else broke their scripts?

Right, that's what I was pointing at.They didn't do anything, they were just sitting there until I spoke to them. But the other mods I installed don't mess with any scripts, and everything worked fine in my previous installation (with the previous SCS version).

As for the guys who give me advice on how to play the game, I don't need it, and I especially don't need their advice on how to play my game their way, cause I prefer to play it my way, thankuverymuch. It's just that I was looking for intelligent challenges, not dumb invisible monster dumps on my party. Did you guys really notice that the Aerial Servant caused me a lot of difficulty from what I said? It didn't really. As you can read, its initial attack causing permadeath to one party member is the only thing that bothered me.

1 hour ago, Guest Hazzy said:

As for the guys who give me advice on how to play the game, I don't need it, and I especially don't need their advice on how to play my game their way, cause I prefer to play it my way, thankuverymuch

Take it down a notch, chief.  Nobody knows your skill level and people are just trying to help.

8 hours ago, jmerry said:

Regarding the kobolds, it's not the difficulty but the thematics. Kobolds don't do tanky. If those 25-HP creatures were some sort of beast instead (kobolds can have pets, right?) then they'd be fine. (Also, 3 XP for a 4-HD creature is ridiculously low. Those stats are almost a match for a worg - level 3, 26 HP, AC 6, 1 APR, base THAC0 17 and damage 1d8 with +1 to hit and +3 damage from 18/40 strength. And a worg is 120 XP.)

Spot on, jmerry - Exactly my thoughts.

How about swapping out the Kobold Elites for worgs or Wild Boars (bdboar02.cre)? At least you'll know what you're really up against.

"Further, there is a 65% chance there will be guard animals: (70%) 2-5 wild boars (AC 7; HD 3+3; damage 3d4 gore) or (30%) 1-4 giant weasels (AC 6; HD 3+3; damage 2d6 bite and blood drain)."

image.png.b6dcc320b2e0a303e172324098fdadfc.png

9 hours ago, jmerry said:

I'm not sure what I think about the thematic issue, but XP is just general SCS policy of not increasing XP for harder creatures. (If I do then you gain XP faster, which sets up an arms race.)

1 hour ago, Guest Hazzy said:
9 hours ago, jmerry said:

Right, that's what I was pointing at.They didn't do anything, they were just sitting there until I spoke to them. But the other mods I installed don't mess with any scripts, and everything worked fine in my previous installation (with the previous SCS version)

I'm fairly certain nothing has changed in that component between v34 and v35, so I don't know what's going on there.