Do you guys enjoy Siege of Dragonspear?

1 hour ago, Thacobell said:

Thaxllsyllia, Nizidramniyt, whatever that other other dragon's name was. BG was never a stranger to made up or none germanic names. Or names hard to pronounce, for that matter.

These unpronounceable names not identifiable with any real-world language are a bit different as they give a sense of how powerful these creatures are, disconnected from our world.

15 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Possibly someone's done this already or it messes up some other bit of SoD (I still haven't played it!) but a simple minimal fix would be to replace Semaj, the mage in the final fight with Sarevok in BG (who has no backstory at all as far as I recall and is probably a self-insert of some developer called James), with Korlasz, give her a min-hp ring, and have her dimension door away when reduced to 1 hp.

Alternatively - maybe a bit easier to implement - put Korlasz in the fight at the top of the Iron Throne, with the same min1hp technique. Or even with Rieltar in Candlekeep. The implication being that she was (one of) Sarevok’s person on the inside of that organization… could add a short line confirming it in SoD. It would make sense given her presumed wealth and status (what a family tomb!) and her near-death at the party’s hands would explain her absence in the BG1 end battle. 

Edited by subtledoctor

My thought was that there already is a high-level mage in BG with no backstory at all, so renaming (and resexing) him is incredibly minimal as far as BG itself is concerned. Of course there are more substantive changes that could be made.

1 hour ago, Galactygon said:

These unpronounceable names not identifiable with any real-world language are a bit different as they give a sense of how powerful these creatures are, disconnected from our world.

Korlasz is not a real-world name in Polish either. So because it has some weird pair of letters like "sz" does not mean the origin is from Polish. Probably someone came up with this name the same way as Thaxllsyllia.

20 minutes ago, Roberciiik said:

Probably someone came up with this name the same way as Thaxllsyllia.

The latter was definitely the dev's cat running over the keyboard.

I like the idea(s) of adding Korlasz to BG1 very much.

I think the "They Set Themselves An Impossible Task" is the most apt critique IMHO. Everything I'd want for SoD to be - for example, much longer final act! my favorite part by far! - would mangle the transition into SoA even more than the 500k xp cap already does.

But I played through it twice, and I did enjoy it. The points people made about the pacing, the size of maps, overall length also resonate with me.

I know I'm being slightly pedantic here, but changing the spelling of her name to "Korlaj" would at the same time preserve pronounciation of the existing name and be a nod to Semaj if he'd be replaced by her in BG1.

Speaking of which, I wonder if an Imoen-be-gone mod would be possible, both in SoD and BG2. Especially if we can account for the scenario where Imoen dies prematurely (i.e. BG1 or even Chateau Irenicus) or falls out with charname. Then, some of the plot railroading can be avoided or shrouded in alternative and very plausible explanations. i.e. if Imoen doesn't exist then charname is accidentally freed by a collateral explosion during the Irenicus-Shadow Thieves battle. There is a mod that I forgot the name of which allows the player to attempt to leave Amn but ends up in Brynnlaw with a very compelling plot explanation which in this case could be recycled. In that case, the survival of Imoen is no longer plot-critical so she no longer needs that MINHP belt in Chateau Irenicus.

Edited by Galactygon

I didn't really like it, it has a differnt tone than the base game, and it stands out. It plays more like IWD than BG. Also most of dialogues were cringy to me. 😛

It's better in the second half, those big battles are ok.

It would be much better as a standalone game, or a side story to the main protagonist (for example if you could play some guys who were observing what the main protagonist from BG1 did, then went on to some adventure related to that etc), not something that is crammed between BG1 and BG2 and tries to retconn things

Edited by jwronsky
8 hours ago, Galactygon said:

I know I'm being slightly pedantic here, but changing the spelling of her name to "Korlaj" would at the same time preserve pronounciation of the existing name and be a nod to Semaj if he'd be replaced by her in BG1.

Yes, you are. You decided you don't like 2 letters for some reason, and use that as justification to criticise something, when there isn't a problem here.

Mizhena is a polish name. It means Korlasz in polish.

SoD?? maan, like, duuuude, awesome dlc, awesome maaaaaaaan, dude, like almost as good as ToB maaan, seriously. You like I mean you just like you know install it and WOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW! duuuuude, you see this MAP, it is HUUUUUUUUUUUUGE, man dude it is just too huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge I must play Sod on 4 monitors just to see this whole awesome map, maan, I am telling you, it's AWESOME man. solid 4/10 max.