Delete this topic - or rather, don't, because it's turned into a useful discussion of contrast and accessibility on the spell page

Slightly OT:  I would like to candidate this topic as "Best of 2024".
It's hilarious to click on "Latest Posts" and hey, look a this! "Delete this topic" has a new reply and it's constructive too!
I almost wish all the future topics will be named "Delete this topic1", "Delete this topic2", "Delete this topic Revised"...
*ALMOST*.

58 minutes ago, Galactygon said:

Could you use WeiDU to patch the palette entries based on the alpha entry to make it a sliding scale of icon color <--> black/gray without resorting to photoshop?

I am willing to bet there's a few problems with that... that definitely could be solved if the results were looked at and fixed within reasonable time.
But maybe CamDawg's skill were better with PhotoSpot scripts than weidu's image handling ones. This of course doesn't exclude you from trying to do this in weidu and parse the code to CamDawg when you have looked at (and taken pictures of) the results. If you want that is. Yes, it's likely that the files made by weidu are likely smaller than with attached files, but the size doesn't matter these days any longer, so much..

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

I could, but if I'm going to start byte-editing the BAMs I might as well go whole hog and do the borders there as well. It's just more trouble than it's worth, especially considering no one was keen on non-black borders to begin with.

1 hour ago, CamDawg said:

I could, but if I'm going to start byte-editing the BAMs I might as well go whole hog and do the borders there as well. It's just more trouble than it's worth, especially considering no one was keen on non-black borders to begin with.

I'll note, that the spell in question will have very strong effect with this. If the for example the primary color is while, black will likely be a good visual aid. But what if the primary color is red and now we need to use out imagination to create a perfect scenario for the 2 000 000+ million colors, and the magic missile being obsured by a GUI element we accidentally picked from another mod. And then black might not be the best idea... especially for some people that have different eye color vision.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola

No, I don't have to worry about red icons, or icons being imposed over another UI element of a dramatically different color. It's being done for spells with white icons only, and only for the specific icon used in the spellbook where the background is always some variant of parchment.