Delete this topic - or rather, don't, because it's turned into a useful discussion of contrast and accessibility on the spell page

When I used to admin a forum for an old game years ago, we would give exactly one warning to people who edit-deleted their posts after receiving an answer for whatever question they had, and if they ever did it again, we'd permanently take away their ability to edit their posts: destroying information that could be useful to other people is a rather heinous violation of community spirit and spits in the face of those lending their time and expertise to help you.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Well, guys, if there was any good stuff to be left in, you can count on the fact that I would have left it.

I had written the following:

"For some strange reason, on my second playthrough, I cannot add spells into my spellbook. Nothing of this sort happens in the savegame of the first playthrough. It seems like my mouse clicks do not register".

Then I solved it. And I deleted the post.

Wanna know what was the issue? I was a paladin and I had only one spell available for level 1, so I got "detect evil" as my only spell, but the white was so faint on the spell, that I didn't realize the spellbook was already with the spell being "memorized" set there. So you will have to realize there was 0 reasoning to leave the topic there and the post too.

Edited by Morgoth
5 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

Then I solved it. And I deleted the post.

Wanna know what was the issue? I was a paladin and I had only one spell available for level 1, so I got "detect evil" as my only spell, but the white was so faint on the spell, that I didn't realize the spellbook was already with the spell being "memorized" set there. So you will have to realize there was 0 reasoning to leave the topic there and the post too.

You do realize that that could help other people with the same problem ? Not to mention you could also high light which kit that was ... and so on. But no, you want to be not cooperative, delete all things ... bad actor. Now, I do realize that that might not have been your intention and so on. But more info is usually better than "Delete this post, I order you !" one.
Note that I disagree on many things with Bartimaeus, but not on this one.

Not to sound offensive, but reading the solution of your problem gave me a good laugh, so thank you for sharing it nonetheless.

- Would this be a candidate for the EE Fixpack? Not being able to see the spell you selected sounds like a dumb thing to encounter.

Now that I think about it, it feels like an accessibility issue. The white spell icons have low contrast in the light-background spellbook interface, and that means some people will have difficulty reading them. Especially the "faded" versions of those icons when a spell needs to be refreshed.

Hmm... maybe recoloring that part of the spellbook would be the way to go? What do some of the major UI mods do with that screen?

4 hours ago, jastey said:

Not to sound offensive, but reading the solution of your problem gave me a good laugh, so thank you for sharing it nonetheless.

- Would this be a candidate for the EE Fixpack? Not being able to see the spell you selected sounds like a dumb thing to encounter.

❤️

For the ee fixpack, I guess it depends on Camdawg's will.

3 hours ago, jmerry said:

Now that I think about it, it feels like an accessibility issue. The white spell icons have low contrast in the light-background spellbook interface, and that means some people will have difficulty reading them. Especially the "faded" versions of those icons when a spell needs to be refreshed.

Hmm... maybe recoloring that part of the spellbook would be the way to go? What do some of the major UI mods do with that screen?

Just for reference: https://imgur.com/a/BUnOySk

The icon can be seen, I guess, but I'm pretty sure the fact that there was sun shining in my room didn't help either. I guess the fact that spell is not used at all made no one complain about it 😛

Edited by Morgoth

OS and UI mods? In my experience, the list of spells (with names) is on one "page" of the book, the description of whatever spell is selected is on the opposite "page", and the boxes with your spell memorization are in a horizontal bar below them. Your picture clearly isn't that - no names or descriptions, icons on one "page" and memorization on the other.

13 hours ago, jmerry said:

Oh, that is smart. I thought about having to recolor the spell icons!

Fixpack we can discuss, but if not, another accessibility option for Tweaks is good. Two options, quick and dirty: added a gray and black border:

The 'used' icon:

white_icons_used.png

The spell list:

white_icons_list.png

The spell list, but highlighted:

white_icons_list_highlight.png