Whole list of bugs / issues

Since I keep making so many posts I thought from now on I would just bundle several of them in

one post and not hog up board space.

-INSTALLED COMPONENTS-

-TOB

-TOB PATCH 26498

-Bonus Merchants

-Alpha 5 windows version / All parts

1. Rod of terror wrapping charisma around to 25 when reaches lower then 0.

Put on the ring of human influence and hit something with the rod of terror untill your charisma is 0 ( don't take the ring off or you'll die ), then do it again one more time and you have a charisma score of 25.

2. Can cast magic resistance ( priest spell ) on Firkraag and he does not go hostile. This effectively lowers his magic resistance to no more then 40%.

3. Can set traps around Firkraag and he does not notice.

4. Detect evil ( So far tried Keldorns version and Priest version ) not bypassing magic resistance, not sure if it should?

5. The description for protection from fire ( mage spell ) is wrong, it says that dragon breath, fire ball and other spells are "magical fire" but apparently not since one casting protects me completely from firkraags breath and the fire ball spell. If they were magical fire I would take half damage.

6. Staff of the magi armor class bonus and Protection from evil dispellable. I had keldorn dispell them with ease.

7. For some reason Carsomyr's dispel ( the one with 3 uses ) is bringing up a magic resist message. Keldorn and Viconia are giving both "dispel effects" and "magic resistance" messages when I use it.

7. Carsomyr missing dispell animation.

Everytime you hit with Carsomyr it used to have a nice dispel animation ( different from the staff of magi's ). This is now missing.

8. Equipping Carsomyr resets magic resistance from items to 50.

If you have the ring of gaxx equipped then equip Carsomyr your magic resistance will go to 50, BUT if you then take off the ring of gaxx and put it on again you will have 60 magic resistance. Carsomyrs resistance should either stack with other resistance items or it should keep the users resistance at 50 no matter what ( as per discription? ). Also if your character has innate magic resistance it will stack with carsomyr.

9. This is just an oddity, but I have no idea how Keldorn was able to do 29 damage to Korgan ( not a critical hit ) with Carsomyr. He only has 17 strength with no damage modifiers except on his weapon, so the damage should max out at 23 without a critical.

Since I keep making so many posts I thought from now on I would just bundle several of them in one post and not hog up board space.
Apparently, people prefer one thread per topic.
This really isn't easy to fix.
2. Can cast magic resistance ( priest spell ) on Firkraag and he does not go hostile. This effectively lowers his magic resistance to no more then 40%.
I suppose this could be scripted, but it'll be a real time-waster to figure out all of the protection spells that would potentially lower resistances or other attributes.
I'm not in favor rewriting BioWare's A.I. in cases where the only issue is some exploit to make things easier.
4. Detect evil ( So far tried Keldorns version and Priest version ) not bypassing magic resistance, not sure if it should?
There was a long discussion about this some time ago. I think that it should.
5. The description for protection from fire ( mage spell ) is wrong, it says that dragon breath, fire ball and other spells are "magical fire" but apparently not since one casting protects me completely from firkraags breath and the fire ball spell. If they were magical fire I would take half damage.
Finding anything that does magical fire (or magical cold) damage is very rare. A lot of the descriptions claim to protect against some damage type, but it makes no difference because the damage type isn't ever used.
6. Staff of the magi armor class bonus and Protection from evil dispellable. I had keldorn dispell them with ease.
This is bad. Luckily, I'm pretty sure this wasn't from my staff "fix."
7. For some reason Carsomyr's dispel ( the one with 3 uses ) is bringing up a magic resist message. Keldorn and Viconia are giving both "dispel effects" and "magic resistance" messages when I use it.
I *think* this is expected (IIRC, Carsomyr just casts the actual spell, so it should work exactly the same).
This is bad. Again, I don't think this was from me.
There's not much that can be done, here.
9. This is just an oddity, but I have no idea how Keldorn was able to do 29 damage to Korgan ( not a critical hit ) with Carsomyr. He only has 17 strength with no damage modifiers except on his weapon, so the damage should max out at 23 without a critical.
Carsomyr does extra damage vs. chaotic evil opponents.
There's not much that can be done, here.

Why not? I just fixed it myself with DLTCEP.

All I did was go in and change a few parameters to match the amulet of 5% resistance.

It was opcode 166, I basically changed it to mirror the amulet of 5% opcode 166. Now my version of Carsomyr just adds +50% resistance and does not try to reset it each time you equip.

Carsomyr does extra damage vs. chaotic evil opponents.

Well not THAT much. It should be:

+5 from chaotic evil

+5 from sword bonus

12 max damage on sword

+1 from strength bonus

+2 from specialization bonus ( forgot this earler ).

That is 25 not 29. Where is the extra 4 comming from?

I've seen arguments about carsomyr show up in several forums and it seems people ar e about 50/50 on whether they think this is a bug. (Mr Weimer, for example sees it as a bug and changes it in his item upgrade mod.) Maybe a "hotly contested bug(?) fixes" component is also called for.

The equipping order exploit doesn't hold up. After a round it reverts back to 50%.

No, it only resets if you re-equip carsomyr, or if you click on it ( for instance, to target someone who is not hostile ).

Theoretically, you could go the entire game without dropping your resistance back to 50%.

What you have now is something that is no good either way. It doesn't force 50% resistance, and it doesn't give you over 50% without a lot of hassle.

It doesn't work, so just let people have it. They're going to do it anyway ( at least I am :) ).

Also, don't forget about the resistance stacking with any innate resistance you have ( and that doesn't reset ), for instance, a Wizard Slayer / theif with Use Any Item.

9) everybody forgets the "+4 to looneys without a melee weapon" loading hint :)

You mean this one? :)

Don't use missile weapons in close combat; enemies will receive a +4 attack bonus if you don't have a melee weapon equipped.

I see no other hints mentioning any melee bonus. +4 attack bonus means ToHit bonus, doesn't it?

Extra +1 damage may come from 1 (or 2, don't remember) stars in Two-Handed weapon style, but that still doesn't explain the whole lot.

Clearing out more old stuff from pending.

Would have to be fixed by some horrible, kludgy hack that would embarass us all and still not be 100% effective. Just don't do it.

If we decide that poor AI is a bug, we'll never finish the Fixpack. Seriously.

Shouldn't; Detect Evil has been fixed anyway.

The magical fire and magical cold damage types are actually not used anywhere due to crashing. The descriptions for both Protection from Fire and Cold are already updated in the GTU.

Bugs, fixed. The invisibility is intended to be dispellable, as otherwise party members kicked out with the SotM equipped could never rejoin.

It's invoking the priest version of the spell; one of the 3D effects is set to not bypass MR. Same bug is present in the mage version:

// graphical effect on dispel magic subject to MR, though all other effects are not
COPY_EXISTING ~sppr303.spl~ ~override~
		  ~spwi326.spl~ ~override~
 READ_LONG  0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT 0x68 "abil_num"
 READ_LONG  0x6a "fx_off"
 FOR ("index" = 0; "%index%" < "%abil_num%"; "index" = ("%index%" + 1)) BEGIN // loop through abilities
READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x1e + ("%index%" * 0x28)) "abil_fx_num"
READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x28)) "abil_fx_idx"
FOR ("index2" = 0; "%index2%" < "%abil_fx_num%"; "index2" = ("%index2%" + 1)) BEGIN
  READ_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +		(0x30 * ("%abil_fx_idx%" + "%index2%"))) "opcode"
  PATCH_IF ("%opcode%" = 215) BEGIN // play 3d effect opcode
	WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x0d + (0x30 * ("%abil_fx_idx%" + "%index2%"))) 0 // no dispel/bypass MR
  END
END
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Already fixed.

Intentional per the devs.

All damage fields on the weapon are correct; possibly some hardcoded damage bonus from difficulty level or the ranged-weapon opponent bonus.

I'm including spwi302.spl and a couple of the others that have this problem in my copy.

The dispels proper (as opposed to the removes) include cure feeblemindedness/remove feeblemindedness effects with resistability 2 that I'll also be changing to 0.

The use destself.eff also is type 2. This might possibly be intentional, though, so I'm leaving it alone. :)

/edit

Forgot, also changing the .vvc to 3 rather than 0 to prevent the tottery jenga tower that piles up during whirlwinds.

I'm including spwi302.spl and a couple of the others that have this problem in my copy.

Man, all of the cool kids have their own fixpack. Added spwi302; nice catch. :)

The dispels proper (as opposed to the removes) include cure feeblemindedness/remove feeblemindedness effects with resistability 2 that I'll also be changing to 0.

These are instant effects, so the dispel flag really shouldn't matter here.

The use destself.eff also is type 2. This might possibly be intentional, though, so I'm leaving it alone. :)

Agreed.

Forgot, also changing the .vvc to 3 rather than 0 to prevent the tottery jenga tower that piles up during whirlwinds.

Huh?

The cool kids and me too ?

They're instant effects, but type 2 is not dispellable/not bypass so this also will generate "resistance messages" in addition to being inconsistent. spcl231.spl, spin703.spl, and spin866.spl all have this in addition to the wrong setting on the graphical effect.

You whirlwind with Carsomyr, you generate nine .vvcs per second that are stacked up over the same place that you can't see but the engine still has to keep track of; you do this too often and the sometimes the game falls down and goes boom. If they're dispellable then Carsomyr cleans up after itself and the game only draws one:)

I'm not implying that you ought make any of these changes, by the way, just commenting :)

Archived