Minimal Acknowledgement of Other NPC

Domi

Or is it very respectful towards the community to prohibit modding of "your" mod?

I don't see how it's not. It's not as if modders owe the rest of the community anything.

Such an attitude may result in e.g. 3 people doing almost identical mods, wouldn't it be better if the 2 that started ealier were able to do their alterations of the original idea as "add-on" to the first mod? That seems to me more logical/convinient.

Such an attitude may result in e.g. 3 people doing almost identical mods, wouldn't it be better if the 2 that started ealier were able to do their alterations of the original idea as "add-on" to the first mod? That seems to me more logical/convinient.

If the second person was the sort who'd want to modify someone else's work, then why wouldn't he be willing to let the third person modify his own work?

I maintain that modding evolves best when groups of people who get on interact. Trying to dictate what is and isn't allowed without that interaction is formalizing the whole procedure, and really, I don't think it's that difficult to chat to somebody whose mod you think should interact with yours.

I agree with Sim. To be honest, I probably would not write crossmod stuff for a mod if it was not a mod I had any interest in (or a modder I knew) myself.

I am not sure what I feel about a blanket 'community' standard, either. After all, there's still going to be modders who've not read this thread, or those who don't agree with the proposition. I don't know what is best to suggest. Just case-by-case stuff, probably.

If the second person was the sort who'd want to modify someone else's work, then why wouldn't he be willing to let the third person modify his own work?

I don't quite understand. In the year or so of my presence at TWcenter my mod got 8 mods based on it. All of them include things I don't personally like and would never do, but which have great merit for many players, with the core still being mine. I don't see how anyone can be hurt by it. But should all those who like my mod but not fully had to write their own from scratch... that's really silly in my opionion.

I don't quite understand. In the year or so of my presence at TWcenter my mod got 8 mods based on it. All of them include things I don't personally like and would never do, but which have great merit for many players, with the core still being mine. I don't see how anyone can be hurt by it. But should all those who like my mod but not fully had to write their own from scratch... that's really silly in my opionion.

/me points out that anything based on Tutu is a mod to a mod.

/me points out that anything based on Tutu is a mod to a mod.

Not really. Tutu is an engine conversion. Japh didn't actually write new material...

I don't quite understand.

Scenario A:

Modder 1 doesn't want anyone to alter his mod.

Modder 2 can't alter modder 2's work, but dislikes the idea of altering someone else's works anyway. He creates his own mod from scratch instead. He doesn't want anyone to alter his mod.

Modder 3 wants to alter either modder 1 or modder 2's work. He can't do either, and is therefore forced to create his own mod as well.

Scenario B:

Modder 1 is happy to let people alter his mod.

Modder 2 could alter modder 1's mod, but dislikes the idea of modifying someone else's work. He creates his own mod from scratch instead. He doesn't want anyone to alter his mod.

Modder 3 wants to alter either modder 1 or modder 2's work. There's no problem with the former, so he does so.

Scenario C:

Modder 1 is happy to let people alter his mod.

Modder 2 could alter modder 1's mod, but dislikes the idea of modifying someone else's work. He creates his own mod from scratch instead. Even though he's not interested in altering someone else's mod, he has no problem with letting someone else modify his.

Modder 3 wants to alter either modder 1 or modder 2's work. He can chose between either of them.

Scenario D:

Modder 1 doesn't want anyone to alter his mod.

Modder 2 can't alter modder 1's work, even though he wants to. He's forced to create his own mod from scratch instead. Since he's happy to alter someone else's work (even though he can't in this instance), he doesn't have a problem with someone else altering his mod.

Modder 3 wants to alter either modder 1 or modder 2's work. There's no problem with the latter, so he does so.

Scenario A is the only one of the four in which you'd end up with three different mods.

Scenario B indicates that even if the first modder is happy to let other people modify his work, it doesn't neccessarily mean someone *would* alter his mod rather than create a brand new, similar mod.

Scenario C demonstrates that you could still end up with at least two different mods, even if none of the three modders cared about other people altering their mods.

Scenario D shows that if the second modder were willing to modify the first modder's work, the third modder would be able to modify the second modder's work (thus only two mods, rather than three).

Being friends and hanging out together, is one thing, encouraging to use such connections for bussiness purposes is another. Unfortunately, I do not know if there is a similar character in British literature, but in Russian, Griboyedov's Molchalin epitomizes everything that is wrong with such an approach.

http://spintongues.vladivostok.com/griboyedov.htm

and a number of Ostrovskiy's characters would presuade anyone to avoid doing so.

@Nightmare - so your point was that it doesn't have to in all situations have that effect? Well, that's what I said "Such an attitude may result..." it's a possibility but still I say one that should be avoided. Anyway we're probably operate on too different principles, I believe (and quite strongly) that a modder may not prohibit modding (modding not stealing) his work. In the same way I believe an owner of a well may not refuse a glass of water to a person that asks for it, a person who planted a forest others walking in it or a country to prevent people from travelling from a place to place. Simply I'm for thinking "we" instead of "me and them".

Archived