Discworld Film in the Offing...

Bri

Douglas Adams' movie certainly sucked a lot...

Judging by the fact they are talking about some actor, not the scenario, and they're going to do the fourth book in Death series(Mort-Grim Reaper-Rock Music-Hogfather), not the first, I indeed fear the worst.

The thing is, I could certainly see some of the Discworld books doing well as a movie...whether animated or not (and yes, I know they had a couple of cartoons made about the series already).

But yeah, I'm one of those waiting with baited breath...hoping it is good, but more worried it will suck.

Well, the positive part of it is that the movie makers started turning to long-beloved fantasy books, thanks to technological advances and the inspiration of the LOTR. So, hopefully, we will see less of the 'Dunegeons and Dragons' type "creativity" and more solid work dependent on good plots and strong dialogues of the brilliant authors. Maybe I will live to see Martin's Hedge Knight made into movies.... Mmgh...

Judging by the fact they are talking about some actor, not the scenario, and they're going to do the fourth book in Death series(Mort-Grim Reaper-Rock Music-Hogfather), not the first, I indeed fear the worst.

That happened with the cartoons too (they have Christopher Lee in them!), and they turned out great :).

That happened with the cartoons too (they have Christopher Lee in them!), and they turned out great :).

They were very cool. I recently saw Wyrd Sisters on DVD in a shop and just had to buy it!

I am reading The Fifth Elephant now, and I must say that I am not at all impressed. Too many times have I wondered whether I should be laughing or trying to take it seriously. Alot of parts also seemed as though they were made to be a part of a movie script. The opening, especially, which was heavy on slapstick. Detritus rocks, though.

And yeah, I'm thinking this may end up like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...ugh.

The fact that it's in two two hour parts gives me some hope that not much of the story will be lost. And at least, unlike Douglas Adams, Terry is actually there to see how the final product turns out. I suspect if it sucks badly, Terry won't be a happy chappie about it.

They were very cool.  I recently saw Wyrd Sisters on DVD in a shop and just had to buy it!

Nice! Who put the DVD out, by the way? I wouldn't mind grabbing hold of it (them?) myself.

I am reading The Fifth Elephant now, and I must say that I am not at all impressed. Too many times have I wondered whether I should be laughing or trying to take it seriously.

Both. :)

Archived