Looking for Modding Help

BG Hacker

:down:

Is there anyone here who would Like to give me some help with a mod I'm making? It's basically just dding a shitload of new content and I: #1, need suggestions, #2, need someone pretty experienced with th following:

IEEP

IETME

IDW

Bam Workshop II

Also, I need someone that isn't going to be a total ASS about it.

I am working on A new area I just got some tilesets for, and I've got a Kickass Assassin, A dagger that if it doesn't kill instantly,(ive yet to see it not) has a whole range of nasty effects, and I've go arrows that give no saving throw when they hit, and when they hit, the target is petrified(ence the no saving throw), and takes no damage, so they stay petrified, instead of dieing. And I am still open to any suggestions, and I need some ideas. The name of the mod is "BG2-Revitalized".

So, anybody interested so far? If so, contact me at:

labelasenoreth@hotmail.com

and hers to hoping I get the IETME to open my tilesets.

Cheers,

-BG Hacker

:devil:

Is there anyone here who would Like to give me some help with a mod I'm making? It's basically just dding a shitload of new content and I: #1, need suggestions, #2, need someone pretty experienced with th following:

IEEP

IETME

IDW

Bam Workshop II

Also, I need someone that isn't going to be a total ASS about it.

I am working on A new area I just got some tilesets for, and I've got a Kickass Assassin, A dagger that if it doesn't kill instantly,(ive yet to see it not) has a whole range of nasty effects, and I've go arrows that give no saving throw when they hit, and when they hit, the target is petrified(ence the no saving throw), and takes no damage, so they stay petrified, instead of dieing. And I am still open to any suggestions, and I need some ideas. The name of the mod is "BG2-Revitalized".

So, anybody interested so far? If so, contact me at:

labelasenoreth@hotmail.com

and hers to hoping I get the IETME to open my tilesets.

Cheers,

-BG Hacker

Allow me to ammend my post. I would like to say that I do not need someone skilled with ALL of the programs, just maybe one or two, and allow me to aplogize for my heavy hand words and strong language. I was in a very bad mood. Also, I need a good kit maker with an installer that actually works, as well as a workin installer for BAM workshop II.

With my apologies,

BG hacker :devil:

As to IETME and the others being old, I highly doubt that. I still consider them to be the most easy-to use programs out there. I still don't trust wiedu, it reminds me of linux, because when i ask for help, I get more lines of code than is possible to read and no explaination on how to use them. At least the "old" teambg stuff has a clear interface. As for DLTCEP, I tried it, hated it, and unistalled it disgusted. As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :down:

As to IETME and the others being old, I highly doubt that.
They were some of the first released tools. I don't have access to them locally, and haven't ever really looked at them; they're not often mentioned these days, so I don't know if there's anybody with the expertise you're looking for.

I still don't trust wiedu, it reminds me of linux, because when i ask for help, I get more lines of code than is possible to read and no explaination on how to use  them.
I can understand this. Fortunately, there are a lot of people who understand WeiDU, so you can always post about specific issues or ask for clarification. It may take a bit of time, but somebody always knows the answer to a question about WeiDU.

At least the "old" teambg stuff has a clear interface. As for DLTCEP, I tried it, hated it, and unistalled it disgusted.
I don't have access to DLTCEP; from what I've heard, there are a lot of people who share your opinion.

As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :(
Unfortunately, I don't have experience with Java on Windows, so I'm not sure what the issue could be; somebody may be able to give you more specific advice on getting it to work (it's definitely worth it to get NearInfinity up and running; not least because it handles all file types and doesn't obscure any of the data).

DLTCEP takes some getting used to, but it is the best tool you are going to get your hands on for item and spell making. It has more features than NI once you know what you're doing. Frankly, if you aren't willing to use WEIDU you are going to have serious problems making a mod. No one use the IAP format anymore because it has some serious drawbacks in the compatibility department. With WEIDU, people can install 20 different mods and they will all work. You can install one IAP mod. That's it. Even then, an IAP will fuck up the fixpack (which pretty much everyone uses) since IAP mods overwrite the dialog.tlk instead of appending it.

That said, I made a kit mod following along line by line with Cam's kit making tutorial (hosted here) and I think it took me a total of 3 hours of work. It would only take me 10-15 minutes to repeat the feat. Sure, there's a learning curve, but WEIDU is the tool of choice for a reason.......it's worth it.

I still don't trust wiedu, it reminds me of linux, because when i ask for help, I get more lines of code than is possible to read and no explaination on how to use  them.

By any chance have you just double-clicked on WeiDU.exe and expected some GDE or something? Then of course 'asking for help' just gives you more commandline commands. WeiDU.exe is not some big graphical editor; it is a (de)compiler for files and in conjunction with an install file (TP2) it can also act as a filepatcher and provides a decent way of installing multiple mods and automatically keeping the appropriate backups so they can be uninstalled cleanly.

When most people talk about 'using WeiDU' they are refering to the WeiDU .d language. This language which WeiDU can compile is a lot more useful that simply editing the dialog.tlk and generally tinkering with files to cause permanent changes. You can write new dialogues very easily as well as patching existing dialogues in basically every way that you could possibly need. Then when you install your mod if adds the appropriate strings to the users dialog.tlk (in the appropriate language if translation files are provided!).

Similarly, patching files (like areas) is a lot cleaner with a WeiDU mod install, as it backs up the original and then takes the code you've provided and patchs the file appropriately.

If you want to investigate WeiDU you can look at the readme (though for some its not the best place to start), look at the numerous tutorials that exist or download recent mods to browse their code.

As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :down:

If you could tell us what happens we might be able to suggest what's wrong. NI is pretty essential though for all sorts of reasons.

I think you're all being vastly too nice.

As to IETME and the others being old, I highly doubt that. I still consider them to be the most easy-to use programs out there. I still don't trust wiedu, it reminds me of linux, because when i ask for help, I get more lines of code than is possible to read and no explaination on how to use  them. At least the "old" teambg stuff has a clear interface. As for DLTCEP, I tried it, hated it, and unistalled it disgusted. As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :down:

Having seen this, I'm relieved that I haven't bothered reading any of your other posts. I'd be vastly annoyed if I tried helping you out and you came back with this shit. You want to use joke tools like IDW, that's fine, go do it on your own. But if you come here DEMANDING help then sit down, shut up, and swallow what the fuck you're given.

I think you're all being vastly too nice.

As to IETME and the others being old, I highly doubt that. I still consider them to be the most easy-to use programs out there. I still don't trust wiedu, it reminds me of linux, because when i ask for help, I get more lines of code than is possible to read and no explaination on how to use  them. At least the "old" teambg stuff has a clear interface. As for DLTCEP, I tried it, hated it, and unistalled it disgusted. As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :devil:

Having seen this, I'm relieved that I haven't bothered reading any of your other po :down: sts. I'd be vastly annoyed if I tried helping you out and you came back with this shit. You want to use joke tools like IDW, that's fine, go do it on your own. But if you come here DEMANDING help then sit down, shut up, and swallow what the fuck you're given.

I apologize for any rudeness, but I am afraid that the tools you recomend make no sense to me. Further more, I wasn't intending to compress my mod into IAP or TBG format, due to the dificulties I had getting IEEP, although, if anyone asks, I can provide downloads of the old Teambg tools, because I have most or all of them, as well as related files, tilesets, etc.. Furthermore, I am sorry that you feel that way about my demeanor, Simding0, and I apologize if my demeanor offende you.

By any chance have you just double-clicked on WeiDU.exe and expected some GDE or something? Then of course 'asking for help' just gives you more commandline commands. WeiDU.exe is not some big graphical editor; it is a (de)compiler for files and in conjunction with an install file (TP2) it can also act as a filepatcher and provides a decent way of installing multiple mods and automatically keeping the appropriate backups so they can be uninstalled cleanly.

When most people talk about 'using WeiDU' they are refering to the WeiDU .d language. This language which WeiDU can compile is a lot more useful that simply editing the dialog.tlk and generally tinkering with files to cause permanent changes. You can write new dialogues very easily as well as patching existing dialogues in basically every way that you could possibly need. Then when you install your mod if adds the appropriate strings to the users dialog.tlk (in the appropriate language if translation files are provided!).

Similarly, patching files (like areas) is a lot cleaner with a WeiDU mod install, as it backs up the original and then takes the code you've provided and patchs the file appropriately.

If you want to investigate WeiDU you can look at the readme (though for some its not the best place to start), look at the numerous tutorials that exist or download recent mods to browse their code.

As to near Infinity, I can't get Java on my personal computer for some odd and obscure reason. :devil:

If you could tell us what happens we might be able to suggest what's wrong. NI is pretty essential though for all sorts of reasons.

I was not expecting a GDE interface, I expected something that didn't mean that I would have to write MORE code. I get enough code work at school, thank you, and I am pretty good at it. However, Weidu seems pretty confusing to me, and I am a programer. But then again, I don't understand why anyone still uses Unix. But thats just me.

HELP!,

BG Hacker :down:

Comparing IEEP with DLTCEP, merely in the context of making items and spells, I agree that IEEP is more user-friendly than DLTCEP. However DLTCEP has advanced features that IEEP lacks. For example, while making a weapon, there are some (though few) effects that you cannot make and add to the weapon by IEEP while you can do it by DLTCEP. My suggestion is that you use IEEP as your default spell and item maker, but keep DLTCEP reserved for such advanced features. In short, DLTCEP is not user friendly, but it can be most helpful on some occasions.

PS: And, learning weidu is pain, but it is worth the attempt. :down:

Archived