Corthala Family Armor

icelus

Well, this kicks it:

@50442 = ~Beware, noble one. It is my understanding that our ranger friend has no love for females. Ghouls, perhaps, but not females. I was rather considering coloring his leathers pink.~

It's leather armor. So there.

I'm off to work on the Tutu spawn point fix.
Did you finally decide that the weather Call Lightning was SPWI938? I changed the IDS entry to WEATHER_LIGHTNING locally, but I want to make sure it's accurate.

Like I said, just stand around in the rain :).

Anyway, all that's required is to remove the -2 crushing and add +1 piercing and +1 missile (or whatever the stupid leather resistances are). Orc Leather is +3 enchanted studded leather armor, so I'd base it off that.

I'd argue for leaving the Base AC 2, since the description says that his armor gives him a +2 bonus to AC (so, with standard studded leather +3 you get a base AC of 4, and Valygar's +2 is base AC 2). I'm sure it's not what they meant, but...

Well, this kicks it:

@50442 = ~Beware, noble one. It is my understanding that our ranger friend has no love for females. Ghouls, perhaps, but not females. I was rather considering coloring his leathers pink.~

It's leather armor. So there.

"Leathers" is a generic term--it lends weight to the studded leather side, but I would hesitate to describe this as definitive, especially without a HasItem("npchan") trigger. :bday:

edit: Kish said it better--Viconia is not necessarily referring to his armor.

Like I said, just stand around in the rain :bday:.

Anyway, all that's required is to remove the -2 crushing and add +1 piercing and +1 missile (or whatever the stupid leather resistances are). Orc Leather is +3 enchanted studded leather armor, so I'd base it off that.

I'd argue for leaving the Base AC 2, since the description says that his armor gives him a +2 bonus to AC (so, with standard studded leather +3 you get a base AC of 4, and Valygar's +2 is base AC 2). I'm sure it's not what they meant, but...

The description says it has a +3 enchantment, which is what made me think it was chain to begin with. Base chain AC of 5 with a +3 enchantment is AC 2. If it's studded leather, it needs a +5 enchantment to yield AC 2, which puts it up there with the most powerful armor in the game.

NPCHAN.ITM

1) does not disable spell casting - which may be intended

2) Sounds like leather; chainmail ground icon - 9 lbs weight seems to indicate magic leather, so the ground icon is wrong

If chain IS decided, and it's decided that it is similar to the Elven Bladesinger Chain +4 (CHAN16), then it is a very powerful item indeed, availiable to certain characters VERY early. Dex 18 Wis 11 Humans who dual from fighter to mage, it seems could ue it effectively. And, of course, 18 dex 11 wis f-m-t once they get use any item.

Ah, Valygar's armor. One of our better Kish-Ding0 clashes.

Consensus was that it's chain but changing the inventory icon (responsible for the leather equipping sound) makes Valygar look outright pink, so we decided not to mess with it. Don't think anyone would suggest it's elven.

Spellcasting should be disabled for any mage-thief combos using UAI. Added to the existing patch.

// adds protection from charm icon to Valygar's armor, disables arcane spellcasting
COPY_EXISTING ~npchan.itm~ ~override~
 READ_LONG   0x64 "abil_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x68 "abil_num"
 READ_LONG   0x6a "fx_off"
 READ_SHORT  0x70 "fx_num"
 WRITE_SHORT 0x70 ("%fx_num%" + 2)
 INSERT_BYTES  ("%fx_off%" +        ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 0x30
   WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +        ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 142 // display icon
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x08 + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 52  // mind shield icon
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 2   // instant/while equipped
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x12 + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 100 // probability 1
 INSERT_BYTES  ("%fx_off%" +        ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 0x30
   WRITE_SHORT ("%fx_off%" +        ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 145 // disable spellcasting
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x02 + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 1   // target:self
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x0c + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 2   // instant/while equipped
   WRITE_BYTE  ("%fx_off%" + 0x12 + ("%fx_num%" * 0x30)) 100 // probability 1
 FOR (index = 0; index < abil_num; index = index + 1) BEGIN
   READ_SHORT  ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) "abil_fx_idx"
   WRITE_SHORT ("%abil_off%" + 0x20 + ("%index%" * 0x38)) ("%abil_fx_idx%" + 2)
 END
 BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Comments?

Ah, Valygar's armor. One of our better Kish-Ding0 clashes.

Consensus was that it's chain but changing the inventory icon (responsible for the leather equipping sound) makes Valygar look outright pink, so we decided not to mess with it. Don't think anyone would suggest it's elven.

Spellcasting should be disabled for any mage-thief combos using UAI. Added to the existing patch.

Comments?

Well, if it's chain (makes sense, +3 chain would be AC2), considering Valygar's family history, it makes sense that it be mages chain like the Bladesinger. considering that (1) most characters that can use it would get no benefit and (2) it's not terribly unbalancing and (3) once a thief/mage gets "use any item" they are already going to be darn close to being able to get the Bladesinger chain, I'm all for letting is stand as-is.

Spellcasting should NOT be disabled for any armor - only for those armors that don't allow spellcasting. You'd better NOT turn it off for Drow Elven Chain +3, Or the Bladesinger. I suppose the difference is that those descriptions clearly state that they may be used without impacting spellcasting, and Valygar's armor is not described so.

Well, if it's chain (makes sense, +3 chain would be AC2), considering Valygar's family history, it makes sense that it be mages chain like the Bladesinger.

Unfortunately, there's nothing ingame to support the assertion that it's elven chain.

Spellcasting should NOT be disabled for any armor - only for those armors that don't allow spellcasting.  You'd better NOT turn it off for Drow Elven Chain +3, Or the Bladesinger.  I suppose the difference is that those descriptions clearly state that they may be used without impacting spellcasting, and Valygar's armor is not described so.

Arcane magic can not be used when armor is worn, except where explicitly allowed. Drow elven chain and Bladesinger are both clearly elven chain, and the game is quite consistent in allowing arcane spellcasting in that.

The descript of Valygar's armor doesn't mention anything to support it being elven chain. Elven chain is less common so the burden of proof lies in showing that it's elven--until then, we have to assume it's regular chain.

The descript of Valygar's armor doesn't mention anything to support it being elven chain. Elven chain is less common so the burden of proof lies in showing that it's elven--until then, we have to assume it's regular chain.
And then we can assume they saw how ridiculous chain looked with his colors, and changed it to leather, but didn't quite cover everything required, right? :D

I'll fight against ever making it full chain until I die. It looked that terrible.

Archived